Page:
tau neutrinoPLATINUM Member
35 posts

Posted:
i love some of teh videos on this borad.. spent many many hours downloading them. i have noticed a few things though

1)almost everyone who puts up their video is asking for their bandwidth limit to get raped. 50 people downloading 20Mb files has a way of doing that...

2)some hosts on the other side of the planet always give me a bad connection. never get a good d/l speed

i was think of suggesting of putting these files on a p2p network...Like Kazaalite...that way instead of just downloading movies and music we can download poi/staff video...

i thinks its a good idea for a few reasons
firstly) it would tell the RIAA/MPAA/antichrist that people have many many uses for p2p technology.. not just to rip them off...
secondly it woudl spread the cost of bandwidth around... so the kind people that went through the initial trouble of filming and putting it online also dont have to bear teh full cost of sharing it...thirdly we also are reaching to a wider audience...i find some wicked songs i might have never come across any other way than a random search i did on a p2p network...

what do yo all think? i have downloaded a ton of videos and if the word is yes we would like to share teh videos then i would share them on the kazaa network...and teh more people that share the videos the easier it is to find and d/l them...

by the way get a spyware free kazaaa client here...
kazaalite

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
lol not a problem.
the mention of the word php goes over most peoples heads, you didnt quite lose me though, seen most of that shit trying to install ADSL on my machine this morning, after i put BT's support wankers through their paces! couldnt even tell me any thing i hadnt all ready found the patients to figure out trying.
outcome=format c:\ long day too much to install.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
tech support is almost always completely useless, they just sit there waiting for the phone to ring and when it does they open up a folder, choose the most appropriate page out of about 10 then talk customers through the steps. It works a lot of the time, and if it doesn't then they've still made money on the call (assuming it's not free). One of my friends when i was at college was a tech support supervisor (yes, supervisor!) for an ISP and he didn't even know the difference between a POP3 and an SMTP server. It's not the individual operator's faults a lot of the time, it's just poor training and shit pay which breeds unhelpfulness.

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Has anybody actually put anything on kazaa as I did a search for “Homeofpoi” which came up blank I know royal put his first vid up but couldn’t find it whether he has taken it down or wat I don’t know.

This is wot mot said what dose it mean

--------------------------------------------------
Hiya's... it wont work if it's only in one shared folder on kazaa, you're gonna have to get a few mates to put it on. A sources thing, needs more than one i think
--------------------------------------------------

But people seem to download my other movies and I'm the only one with the as far as I know?????

(ps i know very littel about networking stuff)

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Hecatonchiresmember
45 posts

Posted:
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned setting up a BitTorrent tracker - just the thing for sharing large video files.

BT distributes files very efficiently. While you are downloading chunks, you are also uploading the chunks you have already downloaded to other people requesting the same file. The tracker ensures that not everyone is sent the same chunk from the initial seed at the same time. This means that everyone shares bandwidth.

BitTorrent Homepage

For an example of how good it is, have a look at some of the anime digisub distribution sites: egScarywater

If you have a problem with BT throttling your upload on ADSL, you need to add in a commandline mod, and problem goes away. Much goodness.

--Luke

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
is anyone even doing this? ive been looking on kazaa ad things for a long time...but to nbo avail..

*almost gives up hope*

*no*

*wait...there it is...*

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Yep, i have all my "fire" and martial artz files in kazaa shared folder. Though noone has ever downloaded them anyway, but id probibly just cut them off for not sharing wink

They were all called .poi but i lost afew of them and havnt bothered to rename them all anyway.

fee fairynewbie
34 posts

Posted:
is anyone sharing onto WinMX?

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
I've just added my videos directory to my soulseek shares (guess the username). Most of the stuff's off HOP, but it might spread the load a little...

But now I think about it, are people likely to be OK with that? I'm assuming that since bandwidth is often an issue, and they were freely available in the first place it's OK...

(And on a side note, soulseek is the best thing I've found for getting hold of music, cos you tend to get complete albums and organised collections biggrin )

monkeys ate my brain

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Some people dont want their videos transferred via P2P or other such means, tePooka for example. They want all downloads of their videos to go through their site so they can track the downloads. I suggest NOT putting your video collection up on P2P unless you get individual consent from the video makers.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Yeah, point taken, and videos removed...

monkeys ate my brain

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Kazzaa?? eugh. I used to use that but it's sooo full of bugs(ok that's cool wink) and viruses and adware that its useless. I never got more than about 30kb/sec but now I'm on overnet (different version of edonky for broadband users) I get 100kb/sec all the time and most stuff is actualy what it says. A few poi/juggling/spinning/staff things are on there. as for posting them on, if I've shared them down I'll share them up. I'm not really fussed about the "artist" permission unles I know them, it's not like I wait for the chilli peppers to say it's ok before I share their MP3's now is it!!

I'm gonna check that soulseek thing out...cheers mo!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
good to see some video on the net that ain't naughty!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Speaking of, everyone has my consent to put my videos up on P2P so long as credit is given.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
and good to see some videos on the net that are naughty TOOOOOOOOOO......

ubblol

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
*bump*

all the vids i got are on e-mule if anyone uses it. think searching for poi might work cos that's the folder name. not sure tho...

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Has anything come of this? I've just set up a Unix box with 28Gb of space, that could be used as a P2P server just for HoP videos.

I'm just thinking it's time there was an alternative for people who don't have access to a web server, and don't want to use free hosts that only allow a limited number of downloads.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Some more thoughts...

BitTorrent is probably the easiest to use, and definately the fastest I've seen, but the sharing of files only happens while the program is running, and most people will just close it when they've finished downloading a file, so it only works well for very popular files.

eDonkey2000; gets patched regularly, the eMule client can adapt to network load so it doesn't make everything slow down, and there are an absolutely huge number of users online (over 15 million at present). People who share their files are rewarded with higher download speeds, so copies are more likely to be available. There is a Unix client available (mlDonkey), that makes scripting all kinds of neat stuff pretty simple.

----

I could put a web server with uploads enabled on the same computer as an mldonkey client, so that people could upload their videos straight into the mlDonkey shared folder.

I could also put a script together to add a tag like [HomeofPoi] to each filename as it's uploaded, to make searching for them using eMule or other clients easier.

I could even script mlDonkey to search the network for files with the [HomeofPoi] tag in the name, and start downloading them if they don't match any on the server.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I've been thinking some more about what could be possible using mlDonkey, and it should be possible to log how many downloads there are for a particular file. If a copy is on the server then anyone downloading that file will join the queue on the server, even if they get all the parts from other people's servers. By running the mlDonkey log files through a script, a tally of file downloads can be compiled.

Using this it should be possible to rate videos by number of downloads.

I've also been looking at the Lugdunum eDonkey2000 server software, that keeps a list of files and servers, and is used to search for files on the network. I could set up filters so that searches are more accurate, as only the submitted files would be searchable from that server.

I'm going to start playing around with mlDonkey to see what I can come up with, and may have something for HoPpers to test in a few days. (By the way, the mlDonkey program also supports Overnet, Gnutella, Limewire, BitTorrent and several other P2P protocols simultaneously, so file sharing doesn't have to be through an eDonkey client.)

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I vote for bittorrents. Infact, I think we should combine this with the podcast and get a bittorrent podcast going somehow - althuogh i'm not sure if any podcast clients support BT yet.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Given the almost complete lack of interest in this I've not got round to actually doing much besides research, and trying to get a powerful yet reliable server put together on the cheap. (OK so setting this up is boring, but I'm sure everyone would like a way for their videos to be available at better quality, and for more time).

I have had a more in depth look at both the ed2k and bittorrent protocols, and I'd agree that bittorrent is probably the better choice. ED2k may be the biggest p2p network at the moment, but it only splits files up if they're bigger than 9.8Mb, so smaller videos will be slow to DL, as they'd only be coming from one source. BitTorrent splits at about 256Kb, so you get things from more sources, and faster. Also, as this is going to be for sharing only spinning related videos, we don't need to be part of a huge existing network.

BitTorrent has some podcasting type stuff available, although it looks pretty new biggrin

A couple of things that interest me in particular are the fact it's written in Python, and I've done most of my programming in Python (at the network packet manipulation level wink). That should make it easier to hook it into a webserver to handle uploads, indexing and maybe even RSS/podcasts. Also it's written by a fellow aspie, so it's bound to be better designed than something corporate like Edonkey wink

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I have servers and bandwidth - let me know if I can be any help at all - I would like to see a video feed for every video on HoP - maube submitters could give £2 per video or something to aid bandwidth cost...?

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
A copy of FreeBSD 6.0 would be good wink torrents.freebsd.org is down (and bittorrent.com so I can't search alternates), so I'm getting it on eMule. Not so fast but it gets there in the end. The latest OpenBSD chokes on my SCSI controller, so I'm opting for the next best thing.

I'm not too sure about charging per file, maybe per Mb when more than a certain amount has to be stored. Mostly it's going to come down to disk space for the permanent seeds, as the bandwidth is down to enough people keeping the client running.

We could probably set up a paypal account for donations towards disks as the number of files grows. Either that or keep track of which files aren't so popular, and take them off the servers. I don't see the disk space being an issue for a while though. I'm going to start off with a pair of 18Gb drives, and move on to SATA disks when the uploading/indexing is working smoothly.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I was thinking about a bigger plan, to have a server that just hosts the files with a tracker installed on it - that way anyone could host files for anyone to download with the torrent system on top of it....

what are your thought for the back end? it soulds like you're thinking about hosting them from home?

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Same here, one server with all the files, running a tracker for the whole lot. I could have a server with space for all the files, and I've got the time to admin and moderate the whole setup, so I can add indexing and uploads direct to the server via a web server, but the phone line signal here is crap (limited to 576kb down, 288kb up), and I can't afford to get more upload bandwidth just yet, so it tops out at around 2.5Gb out per day.

I've got a dual P3 1Ghz with U160 SCSI and redundant everything, that seems faster than the Athlon XP1800 in my file server on kernel compiles. I was thinking of using that as permanent storage and as tracker. Everything here is on UPS, and I'm happy using RAID. The only problem is the bandwidth. I could get more phone lines and link ADSL channels, or go for ISDN30, but it looks like it'll cost about £1000 a year to get to 512kb upload.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Why not dump the whole lot on something like a dreamhost server, with loads of bandwidth and run a tracker off that?

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I can't give much to the project in terms of money, but I do have a huge amount of spare time as I can't work, and it's definately something I'd be happy doing for a long time.

I'd like to see it run mainly as a free service, as an alternative to all those online services that only let people download your files a few times, or place restrictions on the size. Looking through the video forums, there are some good videos that just aren't available any more, or are only available in poor quality because of that.

How about we put files onto higher bandwidth servers if the uploader has payed for that service, and the free service depends on users to work.

I've got time to put together a server that can index the files, track downloads, and maybe rate them too. I can also handle backing everything up, and checking each uploaded file to make sure someone isn't using the service to put copyrighted or non poi related files online for free.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
a lil fairy told me that google intend to offer free unlimited web hosting. with donuts.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Page: