Forums > Help! > Learning SLOWLY!!!!!!!!

Login/Join to Participate

Dinah-mitemember
14 posts

Posted:
OK, OK, I am having trouble learning!!!! Got the figure 8, butterfly, but now seem to be stumped!!!Can't put both hands together for the 3 beat, corkscrew etc. etc.... One hand can do it solo, but can't get them to work together!!!! I am in a class (can't attend regularly), looks like others pick it up so quickly that I feel discouraged!! Have been told to just keep on but I still feel ,well, spinningly challenged!!!!!! I don't want to be the next "star" , just want to get it!!! So, anyone have any words of wisdom? I am also older than most if that is any defense!!! Maybe learning curve harder??? Anyone else ever go through this????

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Try to remember that spinning poi is not a contest and no~one should tick boxes each time they learn a new trick.
I remember that the stage you were at right now i was stuck at for a month at least, i nearly gave up. But i didn't and it was worth it.
To me the three beat weave was the 'learning to ride a bicycle trick, once you can do it there is no way you will forget it. I don't think i am the only one who thinks like this.
Learning the weave taught my head and body to move my arms, wrists and fingers in different patterns and ways than i have ever needed to. I think that once they learn they can do this, it just flows naturally, am i making any sense?
Everyone learns in different paces and some may practice more than others remember to bear that in mind when you are watching the other people at the club. Plus when you are watching them don't see what they can do, look at how they do it.
And remember that there are hundreds of people on this site that can help and will.

Keep us posted
Good luck

Tennis

My cat's breath smells like catfood

LuxBRONZE Member
71 posts

Posted:
Ive only been learning for a month so my opinion might not be as broad as some others, but about the frustration and the weave, it took me a while to get it right and i had the added frustration of having a boyfriend who on his second go did it and said 'whats this im doing?' as if it was the easiest thing ever! grrr however once i got it, its defiantly the riding a bike trick, just persevere. I was waving them wildly about one moment and the next somehow doing it, it happens just like that. good luck!

*looks in poi-manual for 'corkscrew' and goes pale*

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
It will click eventually, just keep practicing and ur hands will just get it and then u wont be able to stop!
I know how u feel, ive been spinning for three months and just cannot get the reverse weave, no matter how many techniques i try, it doesnt seem to want to work but i know ill get it if i keep trying and so will you!

Good luck!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Dinah-mite:
OK, OK, I am having trouble learning!!!! Got the figure 8, butterfly, but now seem to be stumped!!!Can't put both hands together for the 3 beat, corkscrew etc. etc.... One hand can do it solo, but can't get them to work together!!!! I am in a class (can't attend regularly), looks like others pick it up so quickly that I feel discouraged!! Have been told to just keep on but I still feel ,well, spinningly challenged!!!!!! I don't want to be the next "star" , just want to get it!!! So, anyone have any words of wisdom? I am also older than most if that is any defense!!! Maybe learning curve harder??? Anyone else ever go through this????
There's loads of approaches to learning the 3 beat weave, here's a few tips which you may know already: -

In a figure eight one hand is dominant (on top for most of the pattern). Learn figure eight with the other hand dominant.

you're not doing figure eights in a 3 beat, you're doing an extra circle on one side (the extra is on the right side for the left hand and vice versa). So with the left hand its- circle on the left, circle on the right, circle on the right; then back to the left etc, etc. Three beats in total, hence the name.

The extra circle is the part of the move where the non dominant hand moves over and becomes the dominant one.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Dinah-mitemember
14 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... I thought you were circling twice with EACH hand... Only one????

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Sweetie, don't worry. I'm a slow learner, too. *Really* slow. I had trouble with plain ol' split time at first! Just ask NYC, he saw me fumble terribly. ::blush:: But it comes eventually, I promise, and then because you worked hard for it, it feels *so* good.

E pluribus unum, baby.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Dinah-mite:
Sorry, I've probably confused you. Each hand does the same thing i.e. a figure eight with an extra turn on one side.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
i agree with what tennis said. learning poi is like learning how to ride a bike. ive learned that that harder you try and the more you force the moves the less progress you will make. take it slow, i know the frustration of hitting yourself, when you are to frustrated take a break. even take a whole day off from practicing and i can almost gaurantee when you practice a day or two later you will be able to do the move. take things slow, build into them. a few of the most useful techniques you can learn is your butterfly, both directions, the mexican wave and the low wave. you can combine all these and do really cool looking combos with them. remember you only need to know 7 or 8 moves to if flow well to look good. take things slow and you'll learn much quicker.

Power percieved is power achieved.

Dinah-mitemember
14 posts

Posted:
Thanks all for the good words!!! I will keep trying... I do like it a lot, I shall not give up the ship!!!! Onwards and upwards! Or backwards and forwards, or over and under...
Whatever!!!!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
quote:
each hand does a one beat on each side of the body, but does and EXTRA beat on the opposite side.

so starting left side, my left poi crossed body travelling down, right poi follows behind, left poi does a full circle on right side of body, right poi does half a circle, then crossed body to left side, then left poi follows. right poi does full circle on left side of body, left poi does half a circle, then crossed, travelling down, with right poi following and so on.

hope it help. theres millions of different ways to decribe it. do a search and youll find different descriptons.

good luck.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Flower fairyBRONZE Member
98 posts

Posted:
not being able to get things is madenning... I dont know what it is but I CANNOT get the reverse weave at all... It is utterly baffling and I do not know why.

There are quite a few moves that I was having trouble with mainly 3 beat weave and windmill and I found with both of them I couldnt do them at all when I practiced maddly for hours but when I went round to my friends house a few days later and picked up her poi I could do what I had been learning! Im glad I have got them now but It doesnt help much if I am trying to help other people learn! Maybe its just that it does go into your brain but you dont realise it at the time???

Stick with it honey... I know what you mean totally about feeling like your being really slow in your accomplishments. If it was easy then it wouldnt be so exciting when you achieve a new move and damn does it feel good when you do

Good luck

some people take a walk in the rain and others just get wet

Smiling is infectious. Please pass this on.

RedNoxmember
15 posts

Posted:
Dinah-mite,

DO NOT GIVE UP! I've been having exactly the same problems - but it gets there eventually. I'd been trying to do weave for about a month, concentrating on what I was doing,, taking all the helpful hints from friends and the Art of Poi DVD *quick plug*

In the end it was just perseverence - my brain just picked it up last weekend and away it went. Forward weave, as long as ya like.

I found it helps if you don't think about it too much once you know what you're supposed to be doing - if that makes any sense. The more I think about stuff, the harder it seems to get..

This weekend I added low turn, high turn, alternate butterfly, mexican wave and thread the needle! But now I'm onto reverse weave so am expecting to be stuck on this for a fair while...

As others have said - it's not a race. Don't get stressed about it and it'll all work out in the end

When life gives you lemons, check its not orange season.

Kittytheravequeenmember
285 posts

Posted:
ahhh you poor thing im in exactly the same position, i work and study alot so i dont get to practise poi very often and ive been stuck on the weave for 3 months now whereas it was the first thing my friend tom learnt in about an hour (grrrrrowl!!) but im slooooooowly begining to get it afta several hits in the head and so will you, just relax and give it time, youll get a greater sence of achievment when you do get it

i'll draw you a picture ill draw it with a twist ill draw it with a razorblade ill draw it on my wrist and if i do it right a red fountain will appear washing away my sorrow washing away my fear

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Well done for getting so far with perserverance. All of a sudden it will come to you and happen and it will be worth it. My husband took one look at me doing a weave and went is this it..its his one firepoi move. It took me weeks to get it.

Just keep it up. I added streamers to my poi using snaplock swivels and surveyors tape and this helped us neaten our moves and looks pretty!!

I understand your frustration as I have just got the reverse weave after 6 months of trying when a German friend came to stay and reinspired me.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Lasa'nta Dubh Mac Tiremember
51 posts

Posted:
Whats a figure 8 butterfly...?

Nothing goes through the Lunitics dark mind... By his own Decaying HeartI love the little tacos... I love them goood G.i.rI'm gunna roll around on the floor for abit k? G.i.r

Anna-panannaThinking...
179 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I know everyone keeps saying to you "don't give-up", but I just gotta tell you once more DON'T GIVE-UP!!! Because I promise, when you get 3 beatweave (which you will soon) it will be one of the most fantastic poi moments you'll ever experience! Well, it was for me (BTB weave comes a close second though!).

Have you tried sticking your left arm out, then spinning the poi with your right hand over your left arm, then under your left arm (without the poi going back to your right side between the spin ontop and underneath)? Because once you've got that, if you just try doing the same thing, but with your left hand spinning poi too, then you'll have your three beat!

Good luck, keep us posted!

xxx

Practice as if your hair was on fire...

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I found that when I was trying to sus this one it was best to have a go for about half an hour and then to sit and watch a friend doing the move! This way I could see what my hands, and more importantly, wrists were doing!
Once you have got it you will never look back!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."