Forums > Help! > Help HoP Computer Geeks!

Login/Join to Participate

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
I need help with a computer, a computer that I don’t have yet!

I use the computer at work but really want to get one for home to be able to post pics and view vids. Now, I am a user and do not know a thing about the making of one of these modern marvels. In fact, if I need something at work, I contact IT tell them what I want to do and they provide me with the correct program. Like I said, a pure user.

So I need suggestions on how to get this built and with what programming, to be able to post the pics and view the vids.

[ 12. July 2003, 11:31: Message edited by: Gidg ]

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
PoH = Poi of Home? Pome of Hoi?

Wellllll, if all you want to do is be able to go on the internet to post, you certainly don't need much at all. In fact, if that's *all* you're going to do, I wouldn't get a computer...I'd use ones at the library or at work. These things are pretty expensive to *just* be using for the internet.

That said, I'm assuming you will be using it for more than that.

What you will want to get will depend on if you want to play games, if you ever want to work with multimedia, if you plan to get a digital camera or scanner, and other such things. Also, would you want a desktop or laptop? A mac or PC? What do you need this thing for, and how and when will you be using it?

So, your first step is to outline everything you want this thing to do for you. Let us know, and between us all we could probably come up with some recommendations.

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
What can I say, Fat Fingers

I'll have to put some thought into what I will be using it for. At this point I need to have a system that will handle a newsletter publication, with graphics, and two design programs for weaving and beadwork.

I have my eye on the two designing programs and can get the system needs for those. I am really tired of driving 30 minutes to get to the computer for the newsletter, but I will need to match the program because of compatibility issues with authors.

I will definitely get back to this thread once I get some of the details mapped. Thanks for your input.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i guess it all really depends on how big your budget is. i would recommend buying a new computer as from experience ive always had troubles with second hand computers which means alot of research to fix them up. plus with a new computer if something goes wrong u just ring up and they fix it (if its under warrenty) / have a help desk.

as far as a modem goes once again it depends on your budget and how valuable your time is to you, cable is much much faster. with cable you dont have to dial up so you can still use your phone line where as a dial up modem ties up your line. i would always recommend cable just cos its so much faster and doesnt tie up your phone line

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?