Forums > Help! > How to cure a wick???

Login/Join to Participate

Feemember
80 posts

Posted:
Well im finally confident enough to light my poi... in other words i havent smacked myself in the head of late But ive forgotten how to cure the wick.. i did have a lil info sheet that came with my poi... but ive lost it... so

HELP!!!!! coz i really want to light them soon to make my lil sister (8yrs) go "wow can i do that" and i want to make my mother go "holy shit shes gonna torch herself" lmao

Fee

Why do you like to confuse me so?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
this might be of help. Basically I just soak the wicks for a long time before their first burn. Most of my wicks are tightly woven 'cathedral' style and I've soaked them for an hour or two before first use.

After burning them if I'm going to be spinning again I'll dunk them back in the parafin to keep them from smouldering, but sometimes if I'm not going to spin and want to try to stop my flat smelling of paraffin I'll just let them smoulder and cool down. That's not mean't to be good for your wicks, but I've been using my main pair for about a year and they're still going strong.

hope that helps!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
To be honest, all of these tips are really good at keeping your wicks in
good nick...

BUT...and here is where I get myself into trouble with a lot of people
(takes off his Moderator's cap), I don't think it is all that necessary.
I rarely take care of my Wick is NOT EXPENSIVE.

Sure it costs a lot more per feet than denim or towels or jelly babies, but
look at how long it lasts for.

My staffs tend to last me between 3-6 months each before requiring new
wicks, and by that point they are usually so bent out of shape I rip the
wick off them and use them on my other fire toys.

I would probably go through 50 burns a week on average.

* So, 3 x $3 equals US$9.00 per staff

To sum up, every time I light up, it costs me between

* 1.38 US cents and 0.0692 US cents per burn.

I'm not sure about the rest of us, but personally, anything below 1.5 cents
a burn seems a pretty reasonable deal to me, and not worth my time to spend
a lot of effort on preserving the wicks.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Charles (INFERNO):
I would probably go through 50 burns a week on average.
jeepers creepers it explains a lot!
that's alot of fwirling! i have never heard of a more prolific fwirling regimen! if i had a hat it would go off like a frog in a sock

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
I am with inferno on this one i dont put any care in mine i cure a wick by dunking it the 1st time for about 2 mins then lighting it then when it goes out i re dunk it i burn alot but no were as much as him and my wicks last a long time

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
well...

wick here costs about £6.50 a meter, and I use 75cm on each end or 50cm on doubles. Ive had mine for a while but burnt it rarly, I wanna know where charles (see, no charlie! ) gets his from cos mine kneed replacing already. Im generally really kind to them, 24hr soak and prime before light, always dunk strait after and try not to play on concrete. But I still seem to end up with some little strips wound round each other after about 100 burns. once the edges go the process seems to accelerate so that after this weekend Im seriously kneeding a re-wicking. Maybe its bvecause the infernas puts his out so quick.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

fieryfiendmember
48 posts

Posted:
I've never bothered to 'cure' wicks. All of my wicks are kevlar with metal. My poi are cathedral style and my juggling torches are wrapped like those on a staff. I don't feel I've had to replace them any more frequently than those that 'cure' them. I thought there was a post on this awhile back where someone did an informal study by 'curing' one poi and leaving the other alone. They felt the same as I. I also use white gas almost exclusively cause kero stinks. I don't remember what the other guy used (in the study).

Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do

kittiemember
7 posts

Posted:
when i have new heads i usally soak my poi for like a half an hour then light them up let them burn for a good while put them out then re-soak them and light them again then put them out after a while then the are ready for me to use.

~*~ Blazed Krew ~*~

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Does anyone have any data to show that their technique is better than anyone elses? Or actually works?

Just wondering...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
I'm sure some guy called NYC did some sort of test a while ago, and probably has some data on it.

Not sure where you might get hold of him though

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it was me. Which was sort of my point.

Nobody seems to have any data suggesting that curing wicks has any positive effect yet an overwhelming number of people swear by it.

It's just a scary thought for a science teacher for people to be accepting urban legend as fact. Especially when I've posted data suggesting the exact opposite.

The Truth Is Out There.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
half a bleeding hour!!!!!

I was told 6 HOURS! or OVERNIGHT!

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
you can find my advice here:

[Old link]

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
hahaha i never got told teh three times nonesense!!

cheers flid!

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Please note that this thread was a long time ago...In fact I don't believe I was even a moderator back then!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
I hear that "three times light and put out" rule here alllllll the time. I haven't cured my wicks. We will see how long they last, but I strongly suspect that it is how you treat them in between burns that makes more difference in how long the wick lasts.

If you are practicing with your wicks they should be wrapped to avoid abrasion. Everytime you hit your clothing or the ground with your wick, you loosen the fibers of your wick - at least the ones on the surface. Next time you light up the loosened fibers go *poof* and burn off. Then you abrade it more and burn more, repeatedly ... and you get unraveling wicks.

I wrap mine with soft poofy socks when not burning (several layers) ... and they hurt less when they hit me too.

My monkey fists tend to smolder after a burn and I have been told that is BAD because it burns out the cotton inside, so I try to smother them with a safety blanket after the burn. But, as far as I know THAT is a bunch of bunk too. Anyone know?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Kristie...You must be using a very loosley woven wick to have such an immediate effect, and I wonder what it is made from if it goes POOF the next time you light it...

The wick in the shop here is very tightly woven and takes dozens if not hudreds of heavy drops on concrete to start fraying.

Even after fraying has started, the strands don't go up in a puff of smoke, in fact I prefer the strands to light off coz it doesn';t take as long...

Can i ask what sort of wick yoiu are uising and where you get it from?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
*lol*

i definitely stated that badly.

i did NOT mean *poof* like a mini explosion or anything. i just wanted to convey the fact the the little fibers would "go up in smoke"! the process i was describing was one of tiny incremental losses of wick fiber. over time, your wicks degrade.

i don't have any trouble with my wicks fraying - but i have seen friends' poi and staves after much use without protection wear down over time. staves, especially, wear down quickly because of the harshness of the contact.

i have no idea where they get their gear. i always get mine here and am MORE than thrilled with the quality!