Forums > Social Chat > belllydance + fire = :)

Login/Join to Participate

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
hi, how many fire dancers out there like to combine their toys/moves with bellydancing? from what i have seen thus far it is a beautiful combo smile. for dance style hybreds what toys do you like to combine (like fire fingers, palm fires, staff, candelabra, fans, etc...?) what kind of costumes do you use?(ah...balacing out the loose fabric of bellydance costumes with fire safety...) i love learning about and exploring dance styles. what other kinds of dance forms do people like to combine with fire (modern, hip hop, salsa, etc...?) what kind of audience/fellow perfomers input/response/critique have you had when using belly dance moves with fire moves? does anyone have any stories?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
::waits for Flash's response::erm I like to combine 'The Doof Stomp' dancing style with UV poi + Doof Music smileI kinda do this weird martial artsy stuff with fire sometimes...looks good when its flowing...Josh

AmberGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
i do bellydancingi think it looks gorgeous with fire. though i dont really bellydance with poi, i'd like to, but i always seem to get lost in a different sort of dance with poi.with staff and fire fingers i think bellydancing works well. i like to balance the staff on my head and bellydance.

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Oh wow Amber thats sounds cool.I have been thinking of taking up bellydancing for a while. It looks like alot of fun.I also like the long dingly dangly bits and the bells smileLove and Light------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~[This message has been edited by Katinca (edited 26 October 2001).]

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
*raises hand*yes, i do bellydancing! when I first started firedancing I was heavily influenced by my bellydancing, especially when doing my doubles staves/crosses.Unfortunately my style is in a transitional period at the moment - all the trance parties I've been performing at have caused my style to lose a bit of the flow and become more stompy. I'm trying hard at the moment to re-introduce my feminite shakin' smileso yeah, looks good with double staves, fire fingers and fire bowls.In terms of costuming, you can kinda go arab-indo hybrid - I wear a chain bra with belly drapes, a long rayon skirt with trimming on the bottom and a coin belt. you can wear your hair up and have a variety of head pieces - like the indian chain with medallion on forehead, or hand crocheted skull cap. all manner of jangly jewellry will complimnent the outfit.it's all about being creative and resourceful smilesorry about the spelling - had a liquid lunch.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Oh no! not the bells NOt the Bells!!! ARGH!!!She never puts em down at parties! smileYou know I love you babe smileJoshPS - this was directed at Kate..I havent been to enough parties with Flash to get that ringing in my ears yet wink[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 26 October 2001).]

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
you love them Josh and I know you do so there tongue------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
OK, I'm going to admit this to you all, but don't let it leave this thread ok? it will be our little secret. You might think I'm wierd, but I have some things I call "moves for the ladies" with are basicaly "belly dancing" while spinning poi. (throw in a little extra pelvic motion) so anyways, everybody probly thinks i'm weird now (it true, I am) but the ladies tend to like it...

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
I saw a girl to the combo of bellydancing and poi once. Even though a majority of the moves she was doing were very basic, it worked very well. I'm all about precision over clumsily trying to pull off a complicated move when it comes to performing as it is, and her precision combined with the hints of bellydancing were entrancing to watch.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Yes ! I took oriental dancing lessons for a while here and feel it is really usefull for poi, so is martial art and I am sure once I make progress in technique I'll find my style somewhere in-between.Question to you ladies out there :In France those who study arabic dancing tend to call it "oriental dancing" whereas those who don't know about it call it "belly dance" (no offense, just curious) is it the same elsewhere ? After all, you girls will agree with me that it is about the whole body not just the belly, right ?My teacher teaches in the US too I think, her name is Leila Haddad, anyone heard of her ?Shine onCassandra[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 27 October 2001).]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

alleykatmember
49 posts

Posted:
I know very little about bellydancing, but i have a friend whose spinning (poi and staff) is very influenced by African dance. They're incredibly complementary, especially when drumming is involved. I am not as advanced at spinning as she is, but already I feel bits and pieces of the African dance I've learned peeking through in my movement style. I have mostly twirled without music, in the middle of an empty field, so I think that has something to do with it - I'm not being affected by external rhythms or anything, it's all coming from what I've got going on inside.

this little light of minei'm gonna let it shine...

saffiremember
27 posts

Posted:
Bellydance and Fire!!!A wicked combination!!I do my belly-dance first, with the full-on sequined bra and hip-belt and loads of chiffon in the skirt and veil. I wouldn't even think of using fire with a long chiffon skirt on!! I do a quick change into my hotpants and whip out the poi. I like a faster beat to poi with too! I leave on all my sequins and bells they look Fabulous!Sparkle! Sparkle! No complaints about my style so far!

DONT PANIC
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yup..here, here!I were a choli with a bib, harem pants (yup I brave them) and a leather lace up bodice. I have the sequinned bra and am making my hip scarf.Sorry Josh...I vote for the bells...the more the merrier! grinTwo words for you....Fire Fans! With belly dancing..yum!Staves are good, trailing torches, poi...sky's the limit!Cassandra..here in the US the term "Oriental" tends to refer to Asia (Japan, China...), Arabic or Middle Eastern describes India and such geographic locales. It is commonly called belly dancing here because that is usually the most flesh that shows. Middle Eastern Dance is the other common name that I have seen, at least in my corner of the globe.Ironically, I learned from my first teacher that, as with most things, Americans fully bastardized belly dance and that it was/is not traditionally done with fans or swords (or fire for that matter). I guess those are Arab-American incarnations. Cool, huh? I agree with Flash Fire, for me it is about putting my creative stamp on it and making it my own.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Ooh OOOhhhh How did I miss this thread?!!!

I love to belly dance with fire They complement eachother so well! Belly dance adds so much to a fire rutine and... well.... fire light is very flattering It just has a gorgeous golden glow. and a golden dancing belly is always a good look

I ballance the staff on my head. (simmilar to the sword dance) Fire Fingers/gloves and fans are fun too... and sometimes (almost by accident) abit of bellydance will come though my twirling style with double staff, single and poi.

If you wear a straight-ish skirt (not shiffon) it's quite nice with a jingle jangle belly belt

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
I do belly dancing a bit with my torches. Just got my fingers, so I'll see how that works tomorrow night. But, yes fire and the movement of belly dance do go very well together. As does African, especially with the drummers. The only thing with African is its considerably faster than belly dancing and requires durability and co-ordination.
To add on to what Pele was saying, the term, "Belly Dance actually originated from the first belly dancer ever brought to the U.S., "Little Egypt," this was for the World's Fair around the turn of the century, and she was doing the stomach undulations. people were impressed by it and used the movement to define the dance. Oriental Dance is a more direct translation of Raqs al Sharqui, which is Arabic for dance of the orient.

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

MentalMandmember
5 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by flash fire:
*raises hand*

yes, i do bellydancing! when I first started firedancing I was heavily influenced by my bellydancing, especially when doing my doubles staves/crosses.

Unfortunately my style is in a transitional period at the moment - all the trance parties I've been performing at have caused my style to lose a bit of the flow and become more stompy. I'm trying hard at the moment to re-introduce my feminite shakin' smile

so yeah, looks good with double staves, fire fingers and fire bowls.

In terms of costuming, you can kinda go arab-indo hybrid - I wear a chain bra with belly drapes, a long rayon skirt with trimming on the bottom and a coin belt. you can wear your hair up and have a variety of head pieces - like the indian chain with medallion on forehead, or hand crocheted skull cap. all manner of jangly jewellry will complimnent the outfit.

it's all about being creative and resourceful smile

sorry about the spelling - had a liquid lunch.

wow that sounds cool!!! 2 questions

1) what are fire fingers?
and
2) where are you getting these fantastic outfits from?

yep, i think i have this move goin nicely now SSMMMAAACCCKKKKK ow ow