yashiromember
77 posts

Posted:
Draevon, I was browing through your homepage(https://www.incendium.org) and I tried to access the fuel page but it is unavailable because of current events.... like what kind of events???...?

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
One of our friends was rather badly burnt across his face while performing with another group. The group was using a plastic bucket of Shellite (white gas) which caught alight. In the panic, someone kicked over the bucket and our friend was burnt while putting out the large fire that resulted.This all happened at a nightclub and rumours were that the Police, Fire Department and Workplace Health and Safety Office were getting involved. I don't know what it's like in other countries ... but Workplace Health and Safety is one of the most powerful offices in Australia when it comes to rash legislation and shutting things down over isolated incidents. With all of this stirring around, we thought that it might be best to take our fuels page down until it all was sorted out.Our friend is healing well and the repercussions of the fire were not as big as everyone thought they might be. We do not recommend using Shellite as a regular burning fuel and our fuels page said this ... but when you have authorities getting involved, it's better to be safe then sorry.Thanks for visiting our website yashiro.ÐraevonIncendiumwww.incendium.org.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
My deepest sympathies to your friend, Draevon and all the people who have been affected by the incident.We have a similar organisation here in NZ called OSH (Occupational Health and Safety) and I commend you for being prudent and lying low for the moment.It's unfortunate that this has happened but poeple like yourself who realise that we are a very small minority who are easily subjected to bad press are a great asset to the whole worldwide fire community.If this incident is the one I've heard of, then it seems to be the organisers fault more than anyone elses, which makes this is even more of a tradgedy.My thoughts go out to the burnt individual...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
My deepest sympathy to the burns victim as well, Draevon.. and may they heal as fast as possible.. being a local-ee I must admit it causes a slight concern for other performance troupes across the lands. I guess a few questions spring to mind..Why was there a panic involved when putting out this person? Why was there a *plastic* dip bucket? I understand so many people had nothing to do with this that will still be affected by it. I suppose as with so many things, something bad has to happen before people will *perhaps* begin to listen. It's a pity eh.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

yashiromember
77 posts

Posted:
Sorry for asking Draevon... and hope that your friend recover soon....I was just doing a search for fuel that I was going to use in fire poi, I was pretending to buy some fire poi from this site and then do the fire baptism sometime in January in a beach....

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
No problems for asking yashiro ... it's not a secret or touchy or anything ... I just didn't think the story had a place on our fuels page ... I'm happy to pass on what happened and hopefully the same thing might not happen again.To splat ... there wasn't panic involved in putting the person out, as he wasn't actually ever burning (his burns are flash burns) ... the panic was from some people when the bucket caught fire ... which given that it was a plastic bucket, may have been warranted. Obviously though, no panicing would have been the better option.With regards to the use of a plastic bucket, people are free to do whatever they like really, and although a plastic bucket full of Shellite isn't the most responsible thing to do, there's always going to be people who don't think as responsibly as the rest of us. There no way I can stop anyone from juggling pipe bombs for instance ... I can warn them against it and remind them of the consequences, but if that's what they want to do, then they'll do it.It also has to be asked when there were no extinguishers, and maybe the night club could have had more of an active role in safety, but these are all could-ofs, and they're not going to stop this from having happened. The only thing we can really hope for is that maybe people will have learnt from their mistakes and will be more willing to take advice on safety in the future. I have heard rumours that the organiser of this event has 'reassessed' his use of Shellite for a regular burning fuel, so at least there's some progress there.SO I guess what I'm saying is that there are always going to be people around who do less than safe things withing their twirling. They're adults, so the rest of us can't make them do anything, but hopefully each time something goes wrong, more and more people are taking notice of the consequences involved in being unresponsible when fire performing.ÐraevonIncendiumwww.incendium.org.

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
" In the panic, someone kicked over the bucket ".. sorry .. mis-communication there, and I am in no way saying you are somehow responsible for other people's ignorance. However, there is no way I would perform unless I was certain my safety (or fellow performer) could put any fires out without a panic.The event organiser providing fuel seems kind of ridiculous to me as well. I have performed for quite a number of events, and being a business, provide all of my own consumables. If the performers provided it, then IMO, without their OWN extinguisher, had no place in performing in the first place. This applies to their safety materials, fuel storage containers, and standard fire-safety practices. My understanding is, that if there are a significant number of stuff-ups with amateurs performing, then this will also have impact on available fire performance work (as Charles said).

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
Malcolm,No ... our website is currently down due to unrelated server problems with a host I'm not happy with. Sorry to anyone trying to access our website, we'll have it back online as soon as possible.Ðraevon.