Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > a few staff moves for people to play with :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
hey all :)Just thought since I'm bored and it's raining, I'd post some moves I've been working on lately. When Malcom finishes the vids he filmed, there'll be some more general staff moves on the vids page, but these are a coulple of fun ones :) Feel free to add your variations, or tell me how much I suck cause you've been doing them for years ;)A silly jumpy thing...This one can either look incredibly cool, or incredibly stupid, depending on whether or not you screw it up. It can also result in your staff being bent into a nice crescent shape. So don't screw it up ;) Basically you hold the staff horizontally in front of you with both hands, then you jump over it (legs between hands) without letting go. It looks better if your jump very high, tucking your body up into a ball, and keeping your head up so you're still basically vertical. (that also tends to prevent sudden and unexpected kissing of the ground) ;) Once the staff's behind you, you can either jump back again, or keep spinning.Another jumpy thing...This one would be difficult with fire (but maybe possible), as you have to hold the staff closish to one end. Get the staff spinning horizontally clockwise, bring it down in front of you (still horizontal), transfer your grip to your right hand near the right end, about 3/4 of the way along. Bend over so the staff is close to the ground, then let the long bit of the staff come from in front of you, past your right side, round behind you......now JUMP. (or get thwacked in the back of the leg, your choice). Stand up again and go back to a two handed grip. I haven't tried this with fire yet, it's pretty dodgy, but i'm having fun with it unlit. I'd imagine a lot of martial arts moves could be adapted to something similar. have fun, I'll post some more laterx

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Xaeda, I tried that second one last night and whacked myself in the legs before giving up. Also, my shoulder hurts now too. blush serves me right I guessWhen I recover, I was wondering you could do this with alternating doubles, kinda like skipping. Might look cool with a cute lady like yourself, but probably a bit sad with a male dinosaur like me... wink------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You're how old Charles?I will be trying the second one very soon. I used to do the first one when i first started doing staff. That's how i ripped the tendon in my forearm shocked. So I'm not playing that game again frown------------------C@ntus

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
How old am I? That's a personal question, in fact so personal, that I put it in the enormous HoP Rollcall thread...Lets just say I'm old enough to know that that I used to repair a lot faster when I was younger... grin grin grin grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 06 November 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
26. That's what i thought. Younger than me.Maybe you've just worn badly. But I would never describe myself as a dinoosaur.Young fraggle, yes. Dinosaur, not a chance. tongue------------------C@ntus

Meh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
What happened to the "And getting younger" part?You can't say you're a dinosaur when I am older than you!!!! No! No! No! No! :::insert childish temper tantrum here::: tongueAnyway, I think you also have to have a staff large enough to do those moves Xaeda.The shorter ones make it harder to find room to jump over. Oh, and....(My friend made this mistake, not good...reeeeeally not good) that first one, if a guy makes one leg over but not the other it sets a real nice way for him to be tasting his testicles for about a week! ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
oops --- Hence why there "ain't no 'saurs in the whole wide waurld".I'm getting younger because my body (as does everyone's) completely replaces itself cell by cell every few years, even my scar tissue. So every time you meet me, I'm younger than I was before...(cool huh?)------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
They say the mind is the first to go.------------------C@ntus

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hate to point out to you charles, but there are a lot of cells in your body that dont replace themselves. Brain cells for example tongueJosh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hah! ------Brain cells (individual cells, not necessarily synapses etc) can replace themselves over an extended period of time, although accepted theory in the past has said this is impossible. it helps to give them a helping hand with a little injection of ...goes off into scientific waffling 'however, laymens terms can be foudn here https://www.alzheimersupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm?ID=1463And
there are much more detailed articles out there but it's been a long time since I read up on this.But, all cells except SOME brain cells and nerves do get replaced consistently. Even bones are not the same four years down the track (weird huh?).And as the cells that don't regenrate are in the minority of the ones that do, I'm getting younger by the minute...As we all are.------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hehe - Human Brain cells do *not* replicate, or refurbish or replace themselves. <--(note fullstop otherwise known as a Period.) It is conceivable that one day there will be a means to treat damaged cells, but this is not the same as repairing *themselves* smilerecently, mice brain cells have been caused to repair/replace themselves after they have been killed in a very particular manner. smilearguementative Josh in the house!Josh

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
woah, this thread itself is a dinosaur ;-)hmm, I'm not sure about the alternating doubles thing.......I can't think of a way to do it without looking incredibly silly tongue Might work if you could do some kind of big martial arts style leap......heh, work on it and show me at the festival ;-)x

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Ok ok better get back on topic, I admitted that SOME brain cells don't regenerate, but there are a lot cells in the brain that do, as well as new synapses forming all the time, just not at the same rate as when we are younger...oops, but anyway, better get back on topic.I think the alternating doubles would look cool, maybe you do a can-can type dance with it, or even swing them both simultaneously so you are jumping over both them as if they were one.(nasty evil hint)- you could even turn on your side to the crowd and make it look like you're jumping over even when you aren't! --------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nzFire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men. *Seneca, (4 BC - 65 AD)*

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
I'm learning all of this stuff in my anatomy & physiology class, right now! I'm pretty sure that the brain itself can not regenerate. Axons (more or less, nerves) can, and do quite often. However, the brain itself regenerating is completely different than what you were originally suggesting. In the cases of getting older...the brain does regenerate certain parts, such as axons. Of course, it loses things quicker than it gains others, like the liquids inside it which thereby make it shrink. TOO BAD! The best thing to do now is excersize your brain. It really is too bad, though, that you can't twirl with your brain.... unless.... wait.... wait.... err... no.------------------"Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form." -Hitokage---FireStorm---(jimidawg@snet.net)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

eyemonkeymember
22 posts

Posted:
hello!!!Sorry I still haven't sent in that staff cartwheel video yet, but I promise I will soon! Xaeda...I'm glad other people try all this more tumbling related staff stuff, because I try but it's really hard to think up new Ideas!!! But for a tip...watch old martial arts movies for cool moves like this. They are a goldmine for this kind of thing.------------------peace out,EyEMonKeY

peace out,EyEMonKeY

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
it's okay eyemonkey, I did a staff cartwheel on my competition vid, so you should get to see it eventually. Although I still want to see your version of it :-) Yeah, I find cheesy martial arts films helpful too. I actually worked out that cartwheel after trying to do a move I saw in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon ;-) hehehe. It was actually quite different, she was holding the staff horizontally in front of her, not touchinng the ground at all, and just did a kind of aerial carthweel, it was amazingly graceful smile x------------------the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Though being a beginnner, this move is way over my head..(this move would look dumb in the day, but I think it would look neat at night with a long staff)Could you do a helicopter spin, then crouch down still doing it, then when down as far as you can jump spinning the staff under you from between your legs. Then when you start to fall back down, bring the staff back above your head...Basically at night the idea would be to make it look like you werent there, and the spin would go all the way down then back up..??Just a thought?? *shrugs* Im just starting, but playing with ideas I might use later on. smile Im allowed to do that right. wink------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
nono playing with ideas allowed wink[This message has been edited by phuzzz (edited 24 November 2001).]

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Hmm.. guess I will just have to turn this thing off then... *click* *goes brain dead and stares vacantly at screen*

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Doesn't have to be at night tho. From what I've seen Xaeda doesn't do night time spinning (I think she allergic or something tongue)And the move isn't that far over your head. Ther's no set order you should learn tricks in. Heck, there's not even really any tricks you have to learn. We're all making it up as we go along. It's just some of us are better at sounding like we know what we're talking about than others.....*realises he used the word heck in a non-ironic sense and goes off to wash his brain ('til all the bad americanisms have gone)*

Meh

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Cantus,I agree with you fully.. but I think I should get my basic helicopter spin working before I try that move.. lol. Or Im going to wack myself in the face and legs before I even get the chance to jump. smile

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
mad :PI do tooooo do night-time spinning! I meant to film some night stuff for the compilation, I really did, but I think it rained or something, so I didn't get a chance. So there! :Px------------------the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
But, my dearest Xaeda, if you span at night you would deprive us all of the main benefit that daylight affords us. Namely the chance to bask in your beauty.------------------C@ntusIn the past, the fools would pay, to see the freaks of the day. The contradictions of the norm. The bizarre, the wonderful and deformed.No need for the tents and cages now. The wool covers our eyes. In front of the TV circus - a freakshow in disguise.

Meh

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Smooth Cantus.. real smooth..heh heh hehI think staffing looks just as good in the day as in the night.. course.. I have never actually seen it done, so cant say for sure, but in the videos it seems like you miss alot.P.S. Xaeda, saw some of your movies, tres cool. Keep it up and let me in on some trade secrets wink------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
What do you mean smooth? That was heartfelt.Anyway, it's to no avail, it shall fall on deaf ears, as Miss Xaeda doesn't seem to like me
Non-Https Image Link
------------------C@ntusIn the past, the fools would pay, to see the freaks of the day. The contradictions of the norm. The bizarre, the wonderful and deformed.No need for the tents and the cages now. The wool is over our eyes. In front the TV circus - a freakshow in disguise.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Oops. There I go being fickle again. If anyone needs me I'll be in my usual hiding place....Ask Flash if you're unsure*splosh*

Meh

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Question is.. do I want to know what your hiding in that goes *Splosh*? SOunds pretty gross...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Rain Barrel. Good place to be cold, wet and miserable.Sometimes I just hide under the table (but that's when I want Flash to find me... grin)[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 02 December 2001).]

Meh

TheGrynygoggmember
47 posts

Posted:
I smoke which is really bad. I only smoke outside which is good. I keep a broom handle by the back door so when I'm out there I can do stuff, which is good. My Girlfriend insists on filling our tiny garden with pot plants and hanging baskets and then shouts at me when things get broken, which is bad. I do have another handle at my parents house and they have a big garden, which is good. They also have dogs that crap everywhere in the big garden, which is bad. I just can't win.

Just ignore me. Everyone else does.

TheGrynygoggmember
47 posts

Posted:
I forgot to mention my point. I'd like to try new, daring moves but I don't have the space. OOH! Talking about smoking. I was outside smoking earlier, Spinning and thinking as always, when a thought occurred to me. Two person staff spinning/kung faux fighting performance. How good could that be? I'll have to teach my bro' to staff though as I know no-one to do it with. But saying that, when I tried to teach my lil' sis to pass clubs I accidently stabbed her in the chest. I shouldn't have used the knives, I know. Anyhoo. That's all I have to say about that, so there. HAHA

Just ignore me. Everyone else does.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Ah, wounding siblings in the name of art is always good. I hit my brother fairly hard across his head with one of my staffs. He seems a tad bitter about it. Made a good noise though.

Meh

Page: