Polmember
26 posts

Posted:
Apologies if this has alrady been covered somewhere, but I couldn't find anything very relevant when I had a look....

I want to get some LED poi, and the ones on this site look very nice...apart from the price! especially when you have to add airmail to the UK on top of it. Can anyone recommend a UK stockist I could have a look at instead, I don't really know where to go to buy things as I bought the poi I have currently in Australia.

Thanks for any help

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Beamers from HoP are truely worth the money. In fact, they just recently got a price reduction. They were 64.00 USD when I bought mine and I still find em 100% worth it considering the quality and durability of em.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

clairyfairymember
3 posts

Posted:
im with you royal they really are worth every penny i've had mine nearly two years and they are still as good as the day i brought them. you can buy them just on their own (without string or handles)that would lower the price a bit and if your ready to use led poi then you've gotta have some that you can tranfer from another set of poi! to cut down the price of air mail get one of your friends to order stuff aswell and split the costs(that what i do!)one word of advice though please be careful with them the are solid and could quite easily knock you out!
happy swinging

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I've been considering buying a couple of the beamer balls to put on my chains, they aren't ridiculously expensive considering their durability.

My only hold up has been the fact that they do hurt so much... so I've been told. I would like to have a led beamer style poi that I don't have to worry about hitting myself with, lol. They're almost as dangerous as fire! A good square smack to the eye socket could be potentially as dangerous as a smack to the face with fire(depending on the fuel used, and nature of the hit, of course, I reallize fire is still more dangerous, lol).

But anyways, to Pol, there is a thread in this forum titled "what other lighted poi should malcom sell?" Some were discussing different things they have used as led poi, and gave some links on where to find them too. Some of the ideas take a lil ingenuity, they're not ready to spin poi sets, but if you already have your own chains, you might look into some of them.

One person talked about some light up hacky sacks that they use as poi, they don't break, because they're meant to be kicked around in the first place, and they don't hurt like beamers, either.

I'm in the USA, so I don't know about UK companies, but they are some links in that other thread that might help you out.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Andy, I'd have to disagree, I personally believe that Beamers are much more dangerous than fire poi. Most of the reason why they are so dangerous is because the apparent danger while spinning beamers is much smaller than with fire. Fire is intimdating, and you won't try new tricks with fire, but many people will do new things with beamers that aren't practiced. A hard hit with a beamer could leave you hurt for a long time, and that coupled with the fact that they don't seem as threatening as other toys makes them incredibly dangerous.

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by MillenniuM:
Andy, I'd have to disagree, I personally believe that Beamers are much more dangerous than fire poi. Most of the reason why they are so dangerous is because the apparent danger while spinning beamers is much smaller than with fire. Fire is intimdating, and you won't try new tricks with fire, but many people will do new things with beamers that aren't practiced. A hard hit with a beamer could leave you hurt for a long time, and that coupled with the fact that they don't seem as threatening as other toys makes them incredibly dangerous.
That's a good point!! I totally agree with you in that people aren't as intimidated by plastic as they are fire! So I definately see what you mean. I just meant that burning oil/gas to the eye probably isn't any better for it than a hard blunt object...

But yea, given that people will try new moves with beamers, but not with fire, one would be just as apt to hurting oneself with the beamers as the fire.

"Welcome to the U-S-A,

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I also find that hitting myself in the face with fire results in a closer shave I can get with a razor, but other than that no real pain. I haven't, however, hit myself in the eye as you described... thanks so much, next time I spin fire I'll wear goggles

clairyfairymember
3 posts

Posted:
led poi are definately more dangerous than fire after getting mine for christmas a while ago my boyfriend and i went to a new years eve party he had a go at a move he thought he could do (he probably could of if he wasnt under the influence of quite so much alcohol) he smacked himself round the head and caught his temple and was very very quite for a good few hours after (anyone that knows him would say that him being quite for more than a minute is immpossible!!!!)
as for uk stockist their is definately no where to buy led poi as for other fire stuff oddballs.com or oddballs.co.uk (i cant remember what one it is)is where i normally go to get mine
happy swinging

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
check out www.glo-toob.com

glo toobs are lighter than the beeming poi and brighter too I think. They are pretty much indestructable. The one thing you have to watch out for is the corners and getting a good square whack on a bone (busted my ring finger knuckle with them once). I cover mine with bubble wrap now and they are much safer.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by vanize:
check out www.glo-toob.com

glo toobs are lighter than the beeming poi and brighter too I think. They are pretty much indestructable. The one thing you have to watch out for is the corners and getting a good square whack on a bone (busted my ring finger knuckle with them once). I cover mine with bubble wrap now and they are much safer.

They look too small and light from the pic's and specs on the site. I like for my poi to have a little weight to them, like my fire wicks. that's what I like about the Beamers! But I'm not really excited about getting beamers when I know I'm just gonna whack myself good with them one day and probably sling them into a brick wall in revenge!!! (that's how my streetlights came to their final resting place, but I was mad at them for breaking so easily, not hurting me)

"Welcome to the U-S-A,

Polmember
26 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the ideas everyone I'm beginning to think maybe its not such a good idea, as I haven't been at this very long, and from what you are all saying I may end up decapitating myself (well, at least getting rather bruised!)

Lit up hacky sacks sounds like a softer alternative, could they be easiyl fixed to the poi chains - the ones I have have a ring like a keyring on them, so presumably I'd have to fix some sort of a metal ring to the sacks to hang them on....

TheSilverShadowBRONZE Member
Uncle Chop Chop
213 posts

Posted:
buy some rav n glow lights and two glowsticks, chop the fat end off the glowstick(after use of course) empty out the liquid, glass ect.
Stick the ravn glow in the end fix with a bit of electric tape the tube acts the same as the attachments you get with them but is 6 inch long compared to 1 1/2 inch. and hey presto a very bright colour changing glowstick that looks the dogs bollocks.
i finished my pair this weekend added some tennis balls as well for some weight and am well chuffed.

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
hey bigandy, thanks for the mention, I just wanted to say that having tried both types of hacky sack, nighthack and coolthings funsack, i find the following points for each...

funsacks are cheaper, create a string of red then green then blue orbs that look really tekky and frankly awsome circling the body, and use the lr44 batteries that streetlights use.

nighthacks create a constant single color tail, are a little more durable(both are almost invinceable, just don't step on them), and use light modules that not only use electroglow batteries- they fit in electroglow cases.

both are really awsome and if you have the moolah, get both. otherwise, i suggest the funsack
from www.houseofrave.com

else www.nighthack.com

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.