Forums > Technical Discussion > advice with towel wicks and white gas

Login/Join to Participate

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
well, my advice is dont do it. I was using some towels the other night at my fire group, for the first burn it was great, second was fine, but the third was very dangerous. it seems after a couple of burns the towels still absorb alot of fuel, but dont hold on to it very well. ALOT of fuel went everywhere when I spun off (flaming sidewalk) and was quite the hazard. I was getting plumes of flame coming off of the poi, igniting the fuel on the ground which had made 20' long flame trails (I actually wasn't trying to ignite the sidewalk this time). I certainly will never try that again, and hope others dont as well.

now this isn't to say you shouldn't use towel wicks, I actually prefer them over the kevlar because of flame size and burn length. if you're gonna do it, use kero or lamp oil, much safer.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
uhhh, plus after two burns you can just wrap them with a layer or two of more towel. this reduces the flingoff, keeps the burn time up, and saves lots of towels by recycling the old wicks! towel is the best!!!
plus if you are outside, where fumes aren't quite as crucial, i would highly recommend putting some parraffin in your fuel anyway to reduce the risks involved. much luuuuv

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
try covering the outer layer of the towel wick in elmers glue and let it fully dry. it will help keep flinging bits to a minimum and help them to last a little longer. extinguising before full burn out also helps.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
ooooh! elmer's glue? what kinda mojo you got going there? wassat? huh? huh?

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
Elmer's glue is the best! I swear by the stuff. I use it on all of my fire toys. After the first burn it gets real tough. Lets say you want to hold a towel wick onto an aluminum staff. Wipe white glue on the Aluminum, wrap the towel around the staff, apply more glue to finish it off. Wrap a wire cage around it for that extra measure of safety. I promise the towel wont want to come off after the first burn. I had to use pliers and a Dremel to get the towel wicks off of my staff. It dose make a mess, but it works so nice!

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.