Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
WHat's up all?Okay, this is my first post so I'm kind of nervous. I've been coming to this site for a few months now, but (and don't ask me why) I never even though to check out the discussion postings until last week...too tied up in the lessons and videos I suppose. Anyway, I've since been reading the archives like mad, and like I say, I'm nervous, because all you people seem to be really tight (in the sense that you all know each other quite well), and I don't know anyone at all. I feel like I'm butting in, kind of. So before I get to my question here, I just wanted to say a quick hello, so I don't seem like a total stranger. It's weird because I know you folks don't know me, but I've read so many threads that it feels as though I know you. Sooo, hello all...nice to meet you. grinAnywaaays, I was going some place with this...ah yes. I was just wondering, does anyone know where can I get some kevlar in Canada? I've called all sorts of hardware places, etc, and they can't even give me a hint as to where to get some of the stuff! And Malcolm, I don't mean any disrespect by not getting it off your site, I'd just like to avoid the shipping charges if I can help it.I've been doing poi for about three months now, and I'd love to give fire a spin (been using glowsticks till now). I know three months isn't much but I've been hardcore addicted (minimum an hour a day), and I'll be careful I promise! Well, if this issue of finding kevlar has been discussed before I apologize, but I did some searches and couldn't find much, certainly nothing pertaining to Canada. Does anyone have any ideas as to where to get the stuff?? ANy info that anyone has would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks a bunch,PaddyPS> edited to clarify what I meant by "tight!"[This message has been edited by Paddy (edited 24 February 2002).][This message has been edited by Paddy (edited 24 February 2002).]

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
You may have trouble paddy, as It normally needs to be bought in minimum 100 foot rolls if you are getting it from the wholesaler...Meaning it is much cheaper to pay for shipping than to pay for an eztra 90 odd feet.But if you must, the name of the product is Wale (manufacturers name) Tape. It was primarily designed for glass blowers to put their finished artwork on to cool...------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

884 posts

Posted:
ah...I see. Thanks for your help, Charles. I think I'll go order some kevlar from here in that case...

stoneagemember
3 posts

Posted:
hi charles, where do we buy wale tape in nz,or do we need to import.Do you know how much it costs?We found it in wellinton at retail $20. a foot.scary.Hay paddy,we are a family of fire dancers,ranging from 5yrs old to 40yrs old.All our kids (4 boys)do fire staffs & pois,have been doing them now for 2 yrs.One or 2 burns,a few wounds to show but they still do it.Practice makes perfect. Thanks team,catch ya later

884 posts

Posted:
Hey stoneage,nice to meet you! say hi to the fam for me.I know that at the least you can order kevlar for $3/foot from this site. Mind you, that's USD, and I don't know how it works out for you in NZ. Check out the shop section. For me, at least, especially given what charles tells me, it's a good deal.good luck! smile

maeonmember
40 posts

Posted:
Hi Paddy,There are a few places that you might be able to get kevlar locally. I'd suggest you check out a) insulation wholesalersWe get our kevlar from a insulation warehouse in a nearby industrial area - they use huge sheets of the stuff for fireproofing boats and stuff like that. They usually sell it by the square metre, but after we explained that we wanted wick size strips, they started to cut it up and stitch it to size, for a small extra charge. I think they use up the offcuts from other jobs for our wicks, so its pretty cheap.b) people who work with car mufflersThis is the other place I've heard people getting kevlar strips from. Apparently strips of kevlar are sometimes bound around the mufflers on cars so that they aren't so hot to touch.There are probably a few other places that might have kevlar - but make sure you check it out before you order some. Kevlar comes in a lot of different weaves /thicknesses. The kevlar you want for wicking isn't the same as the kind thats used to make sailboat sails. Kevlar is a product with thousands of uses.Good luck, and I hope you find some.maeon.PS don't be nervous, I'm sure they're not all as tight as they seem. I'm in the butting in game myself. Nice to meet you too.

Where in the world is the island I'm on?

884 posts

Posted:
Thanks, maeon, those are great ideas. Never would have even thought to check! There's a whackload of factories a five minute bike ride from where I live...there must be an insulation place in there somewhere. I'll definitely check that out before I order. Thanks again!Also, everyone, I was just rereading my post...when I say you guys are tight, I meant in the sense that you know each other really well. I DID NOT mean it in the sense that you're asses or anything! I find quite the opposite, actually...I've noticed in my reading of the archives that everyone here is very welcoming of people new to poi, and trust me, your help is very much appreciated. Leave it to me to put my foot in my mouth on my first post. blush Think I'll edit that now. Apologies all 'round.

Charlymember
68 posts

Posted:
Have you tried online resources?I bet www.dube.com ships internationally. They are based in New York, USA.We order their 2" wide wire-reinforced wicking by the spool and use it for all our fire tools! It is very affordable that way.Good luck!~*Charly*~www.cabiri.org