Gheumember
28 posts

Posted:
I had an idea for poi that is similar in idea to beaming poi, but instead with lasers. The idea would be to instead of using LED lights use the lasers (particularly ones where the whole beam can be seen, although I'm not sure if that can be done without something like a fog machie). Either way, it would be insanely cool to have poi where you can see the entire beam rotating around the person and off into the distance. I would like to know if this is possible/worth someone spending the money and effort to attempt.------------------A pig that doesn't fly is just an ordinary pig - Porco Rosso

A pig that doesn't fly is just an ordinary pig - Porco Rosso

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Yeah you could drop like $50 on those little pocket lazers they sell at gas stations for like $4 or $5 a peice, tape all the buttons down and hook them to your chains. and most clubs are smokey anyway so there you go.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 11 January 2002).]

Jesus helps me trick people.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Been trying it. PWB got me a set of the lasers to try. Problem is, the light components inside shift a bit, which will lead to them breaking. And the loops on the ends aren't really sturdy enough for the force we put on them. Even in smokey clubs a machine would be needed, since the laser is such a finite form of light.Anyway, PWB bought the lasers from a novelty store called Spencer's here in the US for something like $10 each. The smoke machine we have Prometheus bought at a Halloween clearance sale for $30.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
hey this is a nice club, havin a good time, chillin out with the good old---AHHHH! myeye MY EYE!!!

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
good point phuzzz but even a class 1 laser would need a good 3 seconds stationary, direct onto your retina to cause total permanent blindness.maybe you could use a high powered halogen bulb inside a ball with small holes drilled into it. that would give you a very nive effect even if the light didn't travel that far from the poi.------------------"The tincture of night began to suffuse the soup of the afternoon. He considered the sentence, and found it good. He liked 'tincture' particularly. Tincture. Tincture. It was a distinguished word, and pleasantly countered by the flatness of 'soup'. The soup of the afternoon. Yes. In which may be found the croutons of teatime."

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
I have made some nice LED poi from sets of "things that kids wave at the theater" (sorry that is the best way I can describe them) They are nice and bright and flash, the only drawback is they are a little fragile (I have broken one set on a low ceiling already frown )Also made some nice single shot sparkler sets by binding a few together with soft copper wire smile works well (watch out for burns though :P )Anyways hope to have some pics/ maybee video soon smile

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I made some wicked laser poi out of Sapphire-Light Torches.1)buy 2 Sapphire light torches (tiny lil things)2)tape a 2p piece over the button to hold it down3) attatch to cut in tenis ball practice poi4) spin in the dark and it looks like they dance on their own.WAHAY!!!!!!! Homemade Laser Poi!!!!!The sound thing is they're guaranteed to last for life and are replaced free of charge if they run out. Couldn't get a better deal grin grin Also, the light can be seen from over a mile away. Pretty nifty devices. (Don't know if this is what Sick + Pele were talking about - sorry if I've just repeated them but these Sapphire Lights are bright blue, look pretty fine, and nothing shifts inside.)is it ok to post websites on here?

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
sure, it's ok to post websites.. and please do, i'm very curious about these lifelong lasting saphire light thingys.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Check out www.premiumknives.comIn the categories go to 'Camping + Outdoor Products' and then to 'Flashlights and micro illuminators'.You may see something else you like the look of too but I really recomend these - they're shockproof and waterproof and there's that whole-lifetime-of-use-or-free-battery-replacement thing too. If you want to try and get a better deal or similar products just use a big search engine and look for sapphire lights - they're on sale everywhere.Happy hunting smilesorry it took me so long to get round to that! - Ros xx-----------------don't look back, the lemmings are gaining on you

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

HOP Newsletter