Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah, yeah, I did an exhaustive search and found scattered information on meteors but it seems to me that "meteors" is the ghost toy of firetwirling. Some people claim to have seen them, some people don't even know that they exist...I'm off this week to buy some meteors and an informative book on how to twirl them BUT I'd love to know WHO twirls OFTEN so I know who to turn to when I get bored.Who will be my meteor mentor? smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
meteors are damn good toys to have in ur bag! i've been playing with mine on and off for a few months, and find that learning with meteors can assist with new moves with poi. I learned a few one handed moves with my poi this way.Those monkeyfist meteors are very good from the shop as the ones i made my self ended up being used as poi again, i have a good friend that can do a lot of very skilled moves with meteors and got me kinda hooked on them, i do staff as well but not very well, i can only do a limited number of moves with staff but BTB passing with staff is good to incorporate with meteors, but i dont think i can take many more bashings to the groin regions, i dont fancy being out of action at my age.I do not intend doing meteors with fire for a very long time, so i am gonna just carry on with my monkeys for now and see how i get on!PK

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Hi PK,Will your meteor friend be at poi in the park?I'd love to grab some new moves and see it done well.Tempest

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
How ya doin' with that meteor book NYC?Have you got any juicy tips or transitions for us?TEMPEST

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
HA! I remember way back when I thought I had time to learn meteors. Man, those were the days. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Can I borrow ya book then dude? grinTEMPEST

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
LoL, can I borrow the meteors? wink jkReading this, I'm thinking about trying meteors. They look cool and in the pictures dangerous. (Two major factors that fit me perfectly! If there's an "ouch" factor, I'm there! wink)

Kurismember
13 posts

Posted:
I've been practicing meteors for just about a month and a half now and I'm looking for some new moves to try out. The problem is, they are like the ghost of fire twirling. Anyway, I'm looking for resources(other than the book in the shop...I already own it) for meteors. And if anyone could let me where I could get some nylon flag coverings for them, I'd really appreciate it.------------------Meteors Away!-Kuris

Meteors Away!-Kuris

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I have neither book nor meteors. Henseforth the lack of meteor progression for me. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Kurismember
13 posts

Posted:
Indeed, I can see how that would hamper you...------------------Meteors Away!-Kuris

Meteors Away!-Kuris

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Kuris - You could just use white neckerchiefs and put spiffy designs over it that suit you. But of you mean like the huge flags, that might get heavy and intruding to your practice/performance.

Kurismember
13 posts

Posted:
That sounds like it will work. I was just wanting soemthing so that I could get for of a feel for the path that balls make in the air and so help for my trouble shooting. The kerchief idea sounds like it may work and I'll have to try it. Ohh, and big news, I got my first converted staff move to finally work!

Meteors Away!-Kuris

Kurismember
13 posts

Posted:
DO I get a point for this? Point!

Meteors Away!-Kuris

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Meteors are quite versatile, there's a lot of poi moves that can't be done with them, but there's a lot of meteor moves that can't be done with poi.

I've found it better to approach meteors from a poi perspective than a staff one i.e. commence 3 beat weaves to one handed figure eight or behind back pass, then back to 3 beat weave.

I say this because I started by trying to do the basic staff circle with meteors and it turns out that this is one of the hardest moves to sustain with meteors, way harder than alternate passes behind back for example.

A side benefit of meteors is that once you can do them well you can transfer the skills to one handed poi.

I also like them because I never get much practice with staff purely because they're a pain to carry round, whereas meteors slip nicely into a rucksack.

You can also stick cups on the end and do 'water meteors' which generally fascinates people.

At first it's impossible to keep them in a straight line when doing one handed figure eight; mainly you need to just practise loads, eventually you get control over each side of the meteor by using the little finger side of your hand to impart extra spin. (Watch yourself as you'll probably get hit in the back of the head a lot with this move!)

Essentially the thumb end of your hand and the little finger end have to act almost as two different hands.

Meteors have a reputation for being difficult; I'd say that the meteor basic moves are harder than poi basic moves, but overall they're easier than complex poi stuff like behind the back weaves etc.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
So Dave...what size cups would you recommend for one of these 'watercup' performances...

Suddenly i have an urge to learn meteors...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Firstly, DAMN this is an old thread. I was amazed to see that I had started it. (I never did jump on the meteor train.)

Secondly, anyone who can get to see the new Cirque du Soleil... DAMN! There are some 10 year old kids doing flips and jumps as they do crazy chinese water meteors.

Absolutely crazy.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Charles
---------------------------------------
So Dave...what size cups would you recommend for one of these 'watercup' performances..
---------------------------------------

Drinking cup size, or smaller.

I bought some cheap plastic beakers and drilled three holes round the top edge of each.

Put a split ring in each hole, attach some short lengths of chain, gather the three chain ends with another split ring which then attaches to the meteor chain/cord.

I'd start with the cups not full as water makes them heavy.

I recomend slow twirling with these as the split rings might not hold up too well to high forces.

good luck.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
Ahhhh a place to discuss something about my latest interest. I'm generally an exclusive poi user, but I've managed to pick up other styles from people by borrowing a staff or two...

Now my friend gave me this nicely crafted 10ft chain that he had lying around and now I think I got my very first meteor. Man is it HUGE! So time to start putting it to use.

I gotta wonder though, what are the common lengths of chain normally used for a meteor? Cause mine seems to be pretty big.

thanks

perthBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
i saw cirque du soliel (verakai) a few months ago. somewhere near the middle were 3 young women each doing meteors in ways i couldnt possibly conceive (including 20 foot high throws with flips and rolls on the ground before the metors are gracefully snatched from the air and spun right back into another move).

anyway, the book from the shop is a good start, but doesnt come anywhere near what i saw at that show. check out verakai dvd's (or vhs tapes) as well.

Signatures are for people who can read bad penmanship.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
perth- on the high throws are they throwing from a butterfly or a weave/circle based move? I can do throws from a butterfly pretty consistently and am wondering if theres other ways of throwing.

Canadian_guy- congrats on your new toy, meteors are great. I personally prefer a shorter meteor but others use 10 ft ones.
Here's a small FAQ I did for beginers: -

https://www.poiinthepark.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

perthBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
they start with a one hand helicopter, and change to what kinda looks like a butterfly for two beats before releasing, but the bowls are on different sides of the performer (like normal circles in opposite directions). thats about as best as i can explain it without drawing diagrams

Signatures are for people who can read bad penmanship.

RandyBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
being a newbie to poi and staff, and while waiting for my order of both to get here I found a diagram on how to tie a monkeyfist knot and saw a guy playing with meteors.. well, long story short, and I made a couple metoers to play with while I was waiting for my fire-toy order to arrive.

So far, in the last 3 days, I've managed to drop myself to the ground not once, but 3 times from whacking myself in the nuts.. I haven't hit any other specific area as much as there yet.. meteors are like crotch-magnetic. heh.

Anyways, why I'm posting is because I came up with some cool variances to making your own meteors. If you take a dark colored rope as the center, you can tie basic over-hand knots in both ends and use those knots as your "weights" to tie the monkeyfists around. Now you can use a completely seperate rope on the ends. my first set is a black rope with white, blacklight-responsive monkeyfist knots. So, in blacklight, all you see is the big monkeyfists blurring around. I think I'll pick up the meteor book tho, cause I'm not learning this very quickly, and I'd like to consider having kids someday an option. hehe

RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
Well, I think it's time for me to put down the Poi for a couple of months, and do something new.
Be it staff, meteor, or whatever. In this case it's meteor cause I don't have a staff.

Thanks onewheeldave for the link... I noticed under moves you can't do with a poi that a meteor can was "one handed butterflys" I think. I'd say that's not totally right... this is coming from me, a guy who uses poi with wooden handles, not finger loops. But whatever... I'm so gonna learn meteors now.

Looks like I might need to go and find a different chain though. it's fairly weighty in the chain... but the ends are weighted down pretty well with the eye-bolts going through the wicks I have. I dunno... I might need new chain anyway... it's almost impossible to stick a quick link onto the ends, carabinners too. and I'm definately not using key rings!!

so a leather wrapping in the center makes things all good eh? hhhhmmmm, I'll have jimmy something up then

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Hi Canadian Guy,

For the one handed butterfly stuff I meant that with meteors you can do a lot more, such as throwing the butterfly up and catching it in your other hand etc.

What kind of wooden handles do you use on your poi; I've been experimenting with cloth handles as they make it easier to go into and out of one handed stuff; it'd be interesting to see what you've come up with.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

uncle nickieBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
Hey I just started spinning meteors last week, but I'm picking them up pretty quick. It sounds to me like your meteors are way too long! Climbing rope is probably a good thickness though. But all you need is about a five loop monkey fist knot with nothing in the middle. I made my own meteors last week with 25 ft. of rope from Cdn. tire and tied five loop monkey fists in either end. They work great! It's good to start out spinning them like poi, then getting them into staff moves. spin from the middle one handed passes and wraps. Watch out for the nutters!

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
Written by: Randy

I'd like to consider having kids someday an option. hehe

never use beamers then....ive gotten 2 mild concussions from using them....beamers=evil when your using them for meteors

EVIL!!
tho they look really nice......esp the green ones.... ubbloco

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Page: