adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
If anyone out there has looked for a rigid container to store/transport/ship a staff, I saw a pretty neat item at a fishing-supply store today. It's a fishing-rod container. It's quite long: about 5'/150 cm, and it telescopes to roughly twice that length. It's made of rigid plastic, and it even has hasps for a small padlock.In fact, I just found the same thing online:https://shop.store.yahoo.com/brandsplace/0007-9715011.htmlI noticed a huge variation in pricing on this thing--from $24 to $65. There's a similar, less-fancy model also.cheers.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I have to say - such a thing would be very useful for a backpacker travelling with staves, although, I'd suggest getting 2 or three piece staves for travel, cuz telling the baggage officals that your doubles are infact 'performance baton' can be a bit nerve racking, better off ust putting em deep in your backpack...safe and sound...otherwise you run the risk of confiscation...Josh

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
sounds good, However, I've found that the poster tubes the Post Offices supply (the ones that screw together to make any length) are really good as well, especially if you paint them black (or neon yellow, or purple etc) and stick lots of stickers on so people can';t tell what they are. You need to wait until the staffs have cooled down, but apart from that theyare strong, lightweight and the pieces can be replaced if anything happens to them...While they aren't telescopic, if your staffs aren't breakdowns, then there isn't much need to have the containers collapsable...Cheers.------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
My brother is a fisherman and when he travels he just has a length of that plastic plumbing tube stuff (not sure of cost) with rags stuffed in the end and taped up.Stick some fragile stickers on it so that it dont get shoved at the bottom of the pile and its pretty strong stuff.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

KingPoimember
6 posts

Posted:
I am travelling to South Africa in the next few months, and I was wondering if anyone has ever had any problems with airport officials when travelling with poi???

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
I use a homemade carrying case for my staff..it's made out of a legging of snowpants, and has a pocket for a candles, lighters, grass etc. smile_also, I can fit 2 staffs and my little fuel bottle in it, or 3 staffs, and two small staves.never tried to take it across the border though..

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
The FireFlys here in sydney had a gig lined up in Singapore and rang the airline and they explained what they would be travelling with and they were given the all clear.Then they turned up at the airport and they werent allowed to board with their toys, what they ended up doing i think was removing all the wickng and stowing it in bags.So maybe if u think there might be trouble, take your poi apart and put it back together when u get there.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
That's a good note Frenzie, to show that even when you are being responsible (as in the girls calling ahead of time) you can still be side swiped. Roll with it. Here (I live **really** close to Canada) it isn't getting them over the Canadian Border into that fine country that is an issue, it is getting back into the US (can you believe that? shocked ). In the past couple of months I have had my trunk searched (nothing was in it), been asked inane questions and sat in line for what felt like forever just to get back into my own country! Gotta love it! rolleyes My point, you never know what is going to happen, even when following "proper" protocal. I think that when I take a plane over seas I am just going to opt for my hard sided suitcase and new wicks.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 11 September 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
i've found that if you just tell the border people that the staves are martial arts supplies, they ask no more questions. strange that they haven't noticed the smell of kerosene though...so far i've been across 7 ibternational borders with my toys and never had a problem.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
I guess in situations like today (NY) you can understand why they take so many precautions of people coming into the country.