AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
oookay... for those who say they're using soybean oil I am very interested as to exactly how you create enough boooof to reach powerlines. I do it with kero no worries - but oil seems to just give a little gentle boof and not much more. I aspirate till there's no droplets left... but to no avail... so pros with oil ... whats your secret?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
It is my understanding that they did a joint blow, that is more than one person fire breathing into the same area. The blows combine and thusly create a larger fire column. At least, that's what was written. grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

JEDI WHITE AKA JTmember
29 posts

Posted:
dang Pele your good.......it was a joint blow.....It was my trusty side kick tha Wrap Master Funk and my buddy Matt......and I don't know how it happened but it did, and.......WOW......it was cool.....all we use is vegi-oil, but it really seems to work......Mr. Funk always seems to blow em' about 2 foot diameter and about 7-9feet long....but when I blow it is like 3-4foot diameter but only like 4-5feet long.....I don't know what the deal is......you people have any ideas as to what is going on.......anyway the point being that vegi-oil works fine if your torch is big enuf......I really don't know about the whole lamp oil or kero think......kinda scary huh.........I my self am happy with vegi-oil for now................take it easy and be safe.........JEDI WHITE(J.T.)

hesitation+fire=death

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Just good old vegetable oil? Is there ANY risk of blowback from that? Does it only light when aspirated or will it light on it's own? How does it compare to lamp oil?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
vegetable oil works?!?!?!?like really?i would like more info on this one!!!!yes SAFETY?!?!?hmmmmmmsounds interesting

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
NYC...there is always risk of blowback, no matter what you use, nothing is fool proof. Cooking oils (other options are olive, sunflower, almond, vegi and safflower) all ignite when aspirated, same as Kero and lamp oil. They are harder to aspirate and take more force which is also why the blows aren't as big. With lamp oil you can get a 15-20 foot blow with hardly any effort whereas with cooking oil the thicker viscosity actually acts against a larger blow, thus making it easier to botch up an put out your torch. All safety measures should remain the same though.JT...bigger torches lead to better fire blows with any fuel, but it still is very reliant on skill. My breathing torch wicks are twice as long as my eating torches. I know that if cost is your thing, a gallon of vegi-oil will run about $4 or so, olive oil is about $9 for the cheap stuff and a gallon of Kero costs $1.50, lamp oil is about $3.50, but that is here.tcw...all the same safety issues are there where the fire is concerned with fire breathing. THose never go away even when the fuel changes. However, cooking oil is not toxic like the other fuels are, aside from the standard clogged artery things! I am beginning to practice with it to save on the toxicity factor on my body. It can still give you a tummy ache if too much is swallowed but at least you don't have to have your stomach pumped.FOr me, other than the chance that it puts out my torch this is what I don't like about the cooking oils. Kero and lamp oil leave that funky coating feeling in your mouth? It is amplified with the cooking oils. It also leaves a residue on your face that is thicker than the other fuels, harder to wipe off, which if you then do fire eating it heats up. But if you don't mind the feel and don't intend to fire eat later, no big. The best oils of course are more expensive...safflower, almond and sunflower are thinner and so therefore a bit easier to aspirate than vegi. The color of all of them is robust and it is very smokey for those indoor venues.Alrighty then..show versus toxicity. You decide!Cheerios! wink ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

JEDI WHITE AKA JTmember
29 posts

Posted:
I think I will have to go the less toxic route this time Pele.......I just can't see myself with any kind of liquid that has a waning on it that says"fatal if swallowed" you know that stuff contains petroleum hydrocarbons, that is the same shi_ that 89 octane is made of.......ummmm.....In my eyes that is bad......I guess I will just have to settle for my petty 5-7 foot blows.......oh and may the force be with you, every time you put that stuff in your mouth..............bye for now.....much love......JEDI WHITE(J.T.)

hesitation+fire=death

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Will Vegi/Olive oil burn on a kevlar wick? Might be nice to "eat". Perhaps simmer some garlic in it before until it turns golden brown for those fellow Italians out there? wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
No NYC, It won't. I just tried it. No dice. But it does smell nice trying to light it.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The flashpoint on cooking oils is extremely high while the absorbtion of cooking oil is very low (instead of saturating through it creates a coating preventing further absorbtion, therefore won't work on wicks) and it really does need to be aspirated to do an instantaneous ignition. My understanding is that it needs to be at least 150-200 degrees (depending on the oil) to ignite. That is why it is used for cooking! winkThanks for the force JT, I'll be needing it soon (big performance in two weeks). Right now the failure part is just not an option to me, ya know? grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hmmmmi tried like 5 times with olive oil i think it was last nightthe fire breathe was TINY!!!like a 15diameter ball of flame only!!!!oh well!!!it was damn safethoughhehe