Forums > Technical Discussion > anti-fray glue international assistance req.

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey all,there have been several threads in which some Stateside ppl have suggested the use of glue to stop fraying on the bottom of poi and staff wicks. I'm from Australia, and I've never heard of Elmer's school glue here.So I looked it up on the net...to no avail. then I guessed www.elmers.com. nothing technical on the site, although this;https://www.krazyglue.com/about/about.asphas got to have the funniest navigation mouseover I think I've ever seen on a commercial site! smileanyhow; I'm wondering if either;1) someone can tell me an Australian Equivalent2) someone can type out the ingredients of the glue they use for this purpose, so that I can match it with a brand here.anybody help?Josh

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Well, you definitely don't want anything like "crazy glue" (Cyanoacrylate). What you want is the "white school glue" that is usually sold to elementary school kids.-p.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Josh, I use either clag glue, or any of the clear school glues available at the newsagent (if you're looking for glue to seal torches etc.)Hope that helps.Ade

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
thanks for that Ade!Clag it is!Josh

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
Mr Josh,Instead of using Clag glue (i don't know if this works or not) ... try and get your hands on some PVA glue. At least thats what we called it when I was at school (in both QLD and VIC). I've also seen it in Big W etc as 'Craft Glue'.Ðraevon

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Josh,The back of my glue bottles doesn't tell what they contain, though Draevon's description of craft glue sounds closest.However, the back of the bottles says to visit them at www.elmers.comwhich might help you.Take care.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Personally I've found the PVA glue is more 'plastic' like than clear glue like clag. But each to their merry own I reckon smileYou can also make clear glue using the old flour and water in a saucepan recipe (can be smelly).ade