Forums > Technical Discussion > How to teach/learn the weave

Login/Join to Participate

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Poi teachers/learners,This might be useful to some people since the Weave is probably one of the trickiest moves to describe to someone. I've put together a lesson on our site for an intermediate step in learning the weave that makes it very simple to learn.Have a look at the lesson here: https://www.calefaction.org/teach/weave.htmlPlease
make any suggestions you have for the page here, or send them to me via e-mail. We'll be posting other moves/combos/lessons as we put them together. Check back with https://www.calefaction.org/teach/
to check them out! We love Vees' camera and its quicktime videos... grin-protie

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I think you should teach the 'protie' - a lot of ppl seem to get confused with that one smileJosh

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Haha! Will do! There's a bit of me doing it in this video, just as I go into butterflies:https://www.calefaction.org/prote-dbl-wick-behind.movI do it two times on that video in succession, I think...the butterfly kinda goes behind one side and then behind the other..yeah i'll try to break it down sometime, just get it by itself on video, and post it.Incidentally, I call it the 'around the world butterfly'. I'm a little worried of naming any move after myself, cuz lord knows I'm probably not the first one to think of it and I don't want to step on anyone's toes. :PThanks for the idea! grin-protie

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yeah I do a very similar move, but I cant seem to teach anyone - thats why I asked you smileJosh

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Like your description, Protie. It is exactly how and what my poi "teacher" and friend, Kat , miss Rainbowflow, taught me and I think it really is the best way to teach it. The explanations are even understandable for a French frog, which is pretty cool !!!Unfortunately I can't seem to open the video section and can't download any quicktime stuff either cause it would drive my company nuts I guess!!! frown Anyway, would you describe the "protie" a bit more ? For as far as I understand I do that too, and I don't know if anyone felt that, but any butterfly-related techniques (at least for me) just "came" to me, like by miracle as opposed to others where I just had to practice like a dog for hours, these just seem to "happen". Which is also why I have trouble teaching them to people since I have not been through the regular process of learning .Anyone had the same feeling ?shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
well, i still call it the protozoa (mostly cuz zoa is fun to say).I have to say its darn hard to learn if you don't have a. a mirror orb. a person to tell you you are not really getting them in the right plane behind your back because the hand crossing your body is not around the side enough.Pere

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
When I teach someone to do something, I normally stand behind them and hold their hands and move them in the way that they need to go, I find they generally pick it up pretty quickly once they have a guided feel of how to do it.

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"