s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I was at a fair this weekend and happened to bump into some fantastic people. I was chatting away to an trained ex-fire marshall guy and a few *friendly* performers. The fire guy was telling me the dangers of kerosene. Yes that includes the beloved low odour kerosene. It is, in fact, apparently more toxic and detremental to your health than cigarettes. (Unless you have some kind of lung problem or you smoke HEAPS of cigarettes - he was using it in a broad sense.)He gave us some ideas of replacement fuels - and my friend and I are currently attempting to manufacture a safer fuel (I'll let you know how it goes.) I heard also a shop in Byron Bay that sells fire toys was recommending a 80% citronella 20% shellite mixture as better than using 100% kerosene or 100% shellite. This mixture doesn't ignite on the skin.But it does seperate apparently (i.e. you'd need to shake it up before you dipped cause in 30 minutes the fuels are seperated and sitting on top of eachother due to different densities.)Shellite is obviously just as bad for you as kerosene (being hydrocarbons).... I am eagerly awaiting the day when I don't have to use anything that is toxic like these smile

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTM...00434.html[This
message has been edited by flash fire (edited 04 June 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I don't see what this has to do with someone who was trained to know about carcinogens and their various differing levels from other substances.I wouldn't have bothered if I were you flash fire - I read those threads *when* they came out. Perhaps lurking was better than attempting to inform - I dislike wasting my time more than anything.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
eh?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
having a bad day splat?Josh

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
::flash looks quizzically at Splat, perturbed at Splat's hostile reaction to her related links on the topic of fuels and carcinogens::o - hang on a sec...I'm not meant to be bothering.::flash is not bothering:: wink wink winksorry for the misunderstanding splat. i posted the link to the other threads on fuel so that everyone could read up on previously posted information regarding fuels and toxicity. if you find out anything else about this less toxic alternative fuel can you please post about it?[This message has been edited by flash fire (edited 04 June 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
I'm a HUGE fan of this stuff called "Clear-Lite" which is intended to be a low-odor replacement for indoor kerosene heaters. The stuff lights easier than regular kero, burns brighter and longer, and can actually be used indoors w/o producing unbearable fumes.Now, whether or not the fumes are any safer than regular kero I cannot say, but it is my fuel of choice, even at US$7.00/gallon.However, it is very difficult to locate. Here in Maryland, you can only buy it at Home Depot, and only during the winter. When I realized this, I dropped $250 and snarfed up all that the local store had left. The scary part is that after just a few months my stash is almost gone.Fortunately, I did find a place to get it mail order. ;-) Hop over to https://www.clear-lite.com/
for more info...-p.

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
in reply to Josh n flash n all those wondering,Bad day? (thinks back to ripping situations people and myself to shreds for 24 hours) hmmm naaaah! yeah actually that one was terrible - I spent most of it being a wreck. And then I played with some fire and felt better. I had been worried a bit cause if I use kerosene for too long I get super dizzy and fly into the clouds. This plus persistant stomach problem (going on 9 months now) sometimes (rarely) makes me go BOOM. (I'm not proud at all frown )I'd apologise if I thought it necessary but you guys understand dont ya? I'm not the only one who has had the mother of all bad days.Cheers for understanding, (I hope you do)happier splat. (now the sun is shining smile )And if anyone wants to rant to me I'll take it damnit.------------------The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
S'ok Splat, I've had days where I couldnt say something appropriate no matter how hard I tried (perhaps you've seen some of em here on HOP) smilegood to hear youre feeling better,Josh