Forums > Social Chat > EVERYONE PLEASE READ - moderator talking

Login/Join to Participate

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Of late there has been many topics, in the three main forums, that are being started apparently without individuals paying heed to the posting guidelines, as can be seen in the lovely grey box that pops up when Start New Topic is clicked upon.It's getting to the point where people who aren't even moderators seem to be getting frustrated with repetitive questions and misdirected threads.Please all re-read the posting guidelines, as copied below and try really hard to stick to them.Thanks for your co-operation everyone!/moderator mode smileRead this before posting a new topic.Check the FAQ pages or use the discussion group search engine. The topic will most probably already exist. You may then add to that thread or read the replies.Are you using the most appropriate Forum? Please keep discussion on “new moves” in the “new moves” forum.. etc .Do not post another thread on the same topic. Use the search function first. If there is already a thread running which is on the topic of something you want to post about, use that same thread.This is not a personal chat site. Please do not make personal posts to individuals on the board. Use email or ICQ instead.Keep posts simple and easy to read. Try not to use simplified English ( eg Nice 2 C U). Do not use all caps ( eg MY SUBJECT IS …). Smilies are nice but try not to overuse them. This forum is for everyone. Everyone should be made to feel they are welcome. If you make a poke at someone as a joke always use a wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
here, here. people it isnt that hard. yeah everyone makes a mistake once or twice, but really it is spelled out in plain english. lets keep everyone happy and just follow the simple rules and have fun.we are all here to help each other, but the repetition gets old. i understand that a lot of people think it is cool to get some live feedback, but come on, there is a lot of good info on old topics. just SEARCH!now lets all hold hands and have some more fun.

anyone got a light?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
::holds hands with Flash and Pozee:: smileJosh

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I agree. However, I think that there are a lot of people who don;t read that note after the firsdt time the y posta nd soon forget, as well as a large number of people who are new to the site and just want to post. Perhaps a box appearing saying Please do not repeat threads that can be found easily and make your topic line specific and informative or your thread will be deleted. If you do not agree to this action, then do not post as deletion may offend and get them to click a box saying agree.This or something else as drastic maybe the only viable solution, including the deletions as they cannot say they weren't aware...Just a thought (shrug)------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Sparkly poi.(That is to say, I agree.)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

xLessThanJakexmember
155 posts

Posted:
Understood.I agree.I know what you mean by it really annoying you when someone posts a new thread, the same as a previous one.Happy Twirlin'------------------Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Ready to jump in and sing Kumbaiya smileYup...what they said wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
How about a more pychological approach?I just posted a new poll (re Malcolm's request today) entitled"What should we do to people who have ambiguous and vague title for their threads?"With a list of unpleasant (but only one physically painful one, that isn't described in detail) things ranging deletion of their post to putting embarassing pictures of them on the photo gallery.This is a half-joke, but as long as every choice is a negative one, some people will get the hint that it's not a good thing to do and may even start to think a bit more before starting threads.(i'm a sneaky SOB ain't I?)But i think it will let us vent our frustrations in a public way as well grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Diesel_RaVermember
15 posts

Posted:
but isnt this "social discussion" where else would you post vague and ambiguous postings? i can understand the repetitive threads smile a little order here please!

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
I wanted to agree, but I couldn't figure out how to post a reply.------------------"Except for that Mrs. Lincoln, How did you like the play?"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Diesal Raver - Threads like "New move" "help needed" "cool move" "Has anyone ever done this before?" "Looking for twirlers in my area"are the ones I'm meaning. They just clog up the BB and you don't know what's in them until you click. Especially for those with a slow connection, this can be a real pain, and stops the BB being as userfriendly as it could be. Suggested revamped titles in order as above could be..."New BTB reverse poi move""Looking for info on making staffs""Handstand poi routine""Attaching pois to a staff...""Any Twirlers in central Sydney?"Its just common sense, and people who are new to the board should still be able to put up descriptive titles. It's just peeps being lazy or too excited about their thread to slow down and think a little.All IMHO of course wink------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I dunno, or we could just title all of our posts "READ THIS!" That's gotta be the best.... I love it when people post signs like that too. Don't you have to read it to read it? And if you read it aren't you already reading it?I do think that there is a difference between "off topic" threads and "random" threads. I'm all for randomness in a social context, but if the topic is how to make poi from hemp and wanders into blue glowsticks are the best, I think something's been misplaced.In conclusion, the three specific things I'D like to see a reduction of are:1) Redundant threads.2) Misplaced threads/posts.3) Threads that turn into ONLY a personal chat. Of course, I'm gonna want to chat, joke, bond with my poi buddies in the context of the world BUT once it looses all involvement of the community, it should be email.Yellowthing4Life.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oops, just noticed the title of this thread. That's not what I meant about my dislike of the "read this"... because the intent was truely to have everyone "read this"...Besides, I'd never dis Flash... unless it was funny. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
::gives NYC a dead arm::::getting all high pitched and defensive:: well, at least I put 'moderator talking' in the subject line... sheesh you're demanding.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I likes to keep my girlz in check, yo.(Ducks)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
*blinks back tears of shame*I'm sowwy! frown I will try my best to avoid repetitive posts and will be clear in my subjects!-=M-D=-

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
The subject of this thread sounds like something my mum would say if she was a moderator *grin**ducks*

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
::throws double staves to the ground and stamps foot, hands on hips::right! that's *it*!! I can't twirl in these conditions... :P

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?