Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Wow. No Beltane celebration in Edinburgh?

Login/Join to Participate

Monkey-girlmember
14 posts

Posted:
I've just been told by my lovely friend in Edinburgh that there isn't going to be a Beltane ceremony on Calton Hill this year.

I know that I wasn't going to be there this year, but last year was a really great point in my life overseas and it just feel weird. I'd even done a couple of fundraisers for them on Princes Street

I'm sure that the ceremony will be performed, maybe on Arthurs Seat, but it's just interesting how hard the system can make things like this.

For more info, chech out their site:
Beltane Fire Society

Is anything happening in Melbourne to bring in Winter?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
erm.... it is happening, not on calton hill tho..... but bfs has yet to declare a venue.

i will post as soon as i know more i promise

love
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Monkey-girl

i cant speak for edinburgh england, but as so far as melbourne goes, check the events section, International> Workshops in Melbourne Australie for details on current events here. Or, just pm me or msg me...

We still spin weds night, providing the weather is no worse than a drizzle
and we still spin sunday nights at st kilda, luna park as well
Also, there are extra spins going on around all over the place, ppl are gettng the most out of our last ok spinning weather....

Currently on the right side up of the world.

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
that is upsetting that there was not celibration this year in the uk

i hope there will be ov here in australia in september for our beltane

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

Monkey-girlmember
14 posts

Posted:
Sorry I haven't been around Flynt, it's been Comedy Festival time and I tend to get slightly insanely busy around this time.

Add in my birthday and the flu and I haven't had spare energy to come play.

Monkey-girlmember
14 posts

Posted:
Oh and bluecat.. Thank you for the info, but bfs would be insane to do something that they publicise (unless they find a sympathetic venue).

From what I can tell, one of the reasons they can't do it is the Public Liability issues. Unless that gets resolved they can't afford to have their name attached to the celebration at all.

They can't afford to destroy their previous work by doing a big ritual in an unauthorised place.

That said, I wish them well, wherever it may occur.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
it is partly the public liability issue.. but the proposed event is as follows... all people who are there participate in some way, with some mass disclaimer, accepting that any possible nasty occurrence may occur.... so obviously it must be muchmuchmuch smaller than it has been.... anyway. again all i can do is wait til a venue is decided on to tell y'all.

BUT

there is a beltane club and minor protest(please don't attend, it is to be a silent walkthru of the full thing, so performers only...) on the 30th), and there IS an event, somewhere around edinburgh on sat 3rd march.

one final note....(3 aactually...)

just as important, the council has significantly increased costs this year without offering any support, and this is the main reason we can't do it........

flynt if you say edinburgh england once more......... (from a miffed scot...one of the few involved in beltane )

and monkey-girl who are you??????

rob

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I was gunna mention the edinburgh england thing.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
****ing sucks...
rob can we get a bank loan for it?

Monkey-girlmember
14 posts

Posted:
Who am I?

Ultimately no-one important.

You probably wouldn't remember me anyway.

Have a blast.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
lol

my sorries, i havent actually got a clue where the edinburgh Monkey-girl is talking about....

we actually have an edinburgh gardens here in melburp, where most of our fire gatherings are held, i thought i'd just make some sort of distinction between the two....

*hides before they all wallop her....*

Currently on the right side up of the world.