Page:
arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
okay i'm not sure the best way to do this but i'd love to meet as many of you guys as i can this year! maybe we could all meet at the main fire circle on a certain day, or list our camps here in this thread, or maybe nobody cares. i at least wanted to try. i'm open to suggestions here.

we'll most likely be hanging near the "El Cirque" folks. they've got geodomes and freaks. we'll have my blue bus, visuals, and there'll most likely be lots of really loud good dark fat beats coming from the huge sound system we have. everything from indian music to drum and bass to ambient to bauhaus. we most certainly will have a fire dancing arena, along with all kinds of other circus arts activities, martial arts, stilts, gymnastics, clown stuff, etc. and babes spinning fire. and me

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Yay!! *runs around in circles not sure where to start*

I'll be in the Firedance theme camp...i'll post the directions later when i figure them out! Our camp is also in the events guide for BM, we'll be doing several "shows" to bring the magic of our fire circle to the desert so come and visit!
As the time gets closer we should probably all get together and agree on a time/place to meet up, then we can go, or stay, or whatever, from there! i'm so excited to meet everyone!
*hugs arashi*
more hugs for the rest of ya when you join this thread! resistance....is.....well, you know how it goes....

BTW, anyone without a "home" on the playa can probably stay with the family of fire in the Firedance theme camp...e-mail me for details!
luv & light

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
wea ll definitely gotta meet. I know I'm meeting nyx, since we'll be in the same camp, but as for the rest of you I think we need a day and time.

my personal suggestion would be around the man on tuesday night at dark. I'm sure if we all are spinning fire we'll be able to tell who is a HOPer.

lemme know what you think. maybe we should mention something about this in the social forum, since nobody seems to come in here ever.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
arashi, that sounds good. I suggested a social meeting at my camp (Green Fairy Bar Camp) in the daytime Tuesday, but what was I thinking? We can't spin fire...(as well as at dark)...so Tuesday at dark at the Man sounds brilliant. I look forward to meeting you and my other HoP friends.
As I recall, the first meeting of the Fire Conclave was Tuesday at 11 am at the Man. Word of mouth of it is passed around the spinners at the opening ceremony Monday.

Maximus

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
I shouldnt be able to go as i should be in school on the east coast. But, if things keep going the way they are with my financial aid, I may be there because I wont be able to go to school.

I go cry now. At least Id get to go to Burning Man, though......

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Maximus...
Do you know when Crimson Rose is doing the "show me" thing on the playa? I definately want to get involved with the fire conclave!

Everyone....
Tuesday at dark at the Man sounds perfect! My camp has nothing planned for that night so I will be free. And I also wanted to post the events schedule from our theme camp...come join us, these are all open circles and they are quite magical! Look forward to meeting you all and BTW, does anybody have any advice to offer on bringing my wicks onto the plane? Pack them in carry-on or check them?

The FIREDANCE Sacred Drum & Dance Fire Circle
The FIREDANCE fire circle is a magical drum and dance
celebration where we
join together in community and create a sacred place for deep
play. We drum
and sing and dance around the fire circle, connecting with the
magic of the
fire and the spirit in all. Join us for the FIREDANCE Fire
Circle out on the
Playa, at 60-70 degrees, between The Man and the Main Boulevard
-- Wednesday
10 PM, Thursday 11:30 PM, Friday 1 AM, Saturday after the
burn until
sunrise! Look for our flame-colored banners and our lighted
circle out on
the playa.

~Charles Baudelaire

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
quote:
i should be in school on the east coast.
Umm, why? The East coast can be nice but can also be a drag. LOL, here i am trying to get to CA and you trying to get here! lol how ironic.

~Charles Baudelaire

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
waaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

i want to go to BM. i have a ticket and everything, but oh well. life is life...

anyone got a light?

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well,nyx you are definitely going to want to pack them in your check in, and MAKE SURE to burn away all the fuel, and put them in at least three bags so no smell gets out. if you do this you shouldn't have a problem. i use towel when i travel so i don't have anything to worry about. they've tightened up on security as you know. OOOOH MYYYY GOOOOOD i'm sooooooooooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BURNING MAN!

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
i just want you to know that i hate you all for going to BM when i'm not. lol...nah...i hopw you guys have a great time out there and bring back lots of pics for us. i might get to go next year...depends on school and money tho...ah well...ill get there one of these days.

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
quote:
you are definitely going to want to pack them in your check in, and MAKE SURE to burn away all the fuel, and put them in at least three bags so no smell gets out. if you do this you shouldn't have a problem. i use towel when i travel so i don't have anything to worry about. they've tightened up on security as you know.
Why not carry-on? And what do you mean when you say you use towel when you travel? Someone suggested putting them in a metal box...what's the best method to keep the smell in? Ziplock bags?
Thanks!
And yes, i agree with you..

OH MY GOD I AM ALSO SOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED IT'S ALMOST TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pozee.....
PLEASE COME TO BURNING MAN!!! I'll call your boss, C/O whatever and tell him/her i'm your sister and there's a family emergency or i lit my head on fire and need you to comfort my scarred self or, or, or, WHATEVER IT TAKES!

~Charles Baudelaire

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
i mean that i make all my wicks out of towel and they are fresh and fuel free. then you can either check them or not. (even so, the kevlar staff can be put in a fishing pole bag and either towel wicked or just wrap the ends in lots of plastic bags. this has a pretty good track record, only coming out of new zealand have we ever had a problem with that.) plus if you try to take kevlar wicks carry on get ready for some real smooth talking. a bad idea i say. it's way too easy to just wrap them in lots of bags and check them in.

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Hey arashi...
thanks, i'll check them. How do you make towel wicks? Do they last long?

~Charles Baudelaire

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
my sugestion would be not to use towel wicks on the playa. waaaaaaaaay to many little floaties coming off when you burn, could create a real playa cleanup problem. maybe denim wicks.

ONLY 34 DAYS LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!!!!!!!!

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Yeah, i'm a little more worried about the travel with wicks than maybe i would otherwise be only because the night before i leave a friend is having a huge outdoor housewarming party and wants me to do some spinning so i don't know if that will be long enough for the wicks to thouroughly dry out and not be smelly...?

~Charles Baudelaire

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'll be there in spirit...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Alright, Mike! Glad you'll be there, if only in spirit.
I just had lunch with Fusion and Saffire of Seattle's Pyrosutra. They're going to have a camp called Arson Island. Like last year, they will be inviting troupes to come and perform. Everyone who does gets cute little Burning Man fimo medallions.
Crimson's staff should be at Firedance Camp. Go there when you get to Black Rock City and check in. They'll let you know when the "show me's" will be.
Mmmmmm...urge to go nuts on Playa rising...

Maximus

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
I just got some news that will affect everyone who was planning to have fire performances in their camp.
Holly, one of the theme camp coordinators emailed me: "I'm sorry but you won't be able to have your fire in the city. Fires
are allowed on the playa, only."
No futher elaboration was given, but it seemed clear enough. I don't know if that is true for espanade camps or if specifically-approved and placed fire-theme camps are excused (one would presume so).
Also, theme camp space is at a premium this year. Almost all theme camps that are not interactive will not be placed near Center Camp. Once we learned we couldn't have our fire circle, we volunteered to give up half our space.

got dust?
Maximus

SybariteFurymember
4 posts

Posted:
As far as checking your wicks go... I've never carried them in anything more complicated than a tupperware or ziploc baggie. If they stop you (and I have gotten stopped) take them out, show them to the people, explain what they do. Tell them there is only a minimum residue of gas on the wicks. I have never had any problem, and I've traveled through lots of major airports.

That said, me and the troupe I belong to will be at BM going nuts around the man! I think our distinguishing traits are that I have red hair, another girl has purple hair, and we have a skinny guy with long black hair who likes to perform on stilts. I'm Jen, come say hi, I cannot WAIT for this!!!

[ 26 July 2002, 05:03: Message edited by: SybariteFury ]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
SF, maybe the solution is to set up a little burn circle on the Playa not too far from your camp and not too far from the Esplinade.

-Mike

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
quote:
they will be inviting troupes to come and perform. Everyone who does gets cute little Burning Man fimo medallions.
But...but...WAAA! I'm not part of a troupe! Can loners participate? Maybe MasterSodium will be my troupe? Will someone pleeeeeaaassseee adopt me?

quote:
Crimson's staff should be at Firedance Camp.

They're going to be at the camp i'm with? Is there another Firedance camp?
'Splain please?!

~Charles Baudelaire

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
So who wants to help out the Burning Man virgin?
I was just wondering what the garb tends to be out there in BRC? Okay, yeah I know...au natural....I mean besides that...(and NO i won't be running around in the buff...well okay, ya never know!) the thing is, i'm gonna be traveling for 3 weeks with the man as the culmination and what with all the costumage, gear and stuff my luggage is getting, well, HUGE! Here i am planning for every fashion whim that comes over me but it's getting out of hand. Fun with apparel is taking over my life!

~Charles Baudelaire

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
What to wear for Burning Man? Well, a combination of practical desert survival gear and absurd fantasy clothing works good. Just doning the basics (a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, goggles, dust mask, bandana) can make you look bizarre enough. The overall theme this year is the "aquatic world," so anything fishey would be good.
Many firedancers wear black goth outfits with plenty of leather. Almost all the guys and many of the women perform topless. One firedancer woman wore armor, fangs, wings, and BDSM gear. I wore metal wings and a three-horned fire helmet. One troupe did naked sunrise ceremonies at the Cauldron.
Sooooo, if you like to dress up, bring your most daring and radical stuff. But remember it can be brutally hot at day, very cold at night, rain, dust storms, 60 mph winds, muddy, and dangerously sunny. So have something to get you by in case of any extreme conditions.
As for performing at Arson Island, I'm sure you can solo for your fimo (hand lettered sign: "will solo for fimo"), but if Pyrosutra has troupes-only, have someone leave you in a basket on our porch and we'll adopt you.
As for the two fire camps, I'm referring to the official Fire Cauldron camp with Dave King's workshop, the sign-in place, and Crimson's Show Me's. If that's the camp you're in, fine, but there may be several camps of firedancers.
Thirty days to go! Woot!

Maximus

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
Hey everybody!!!!!thanx nyx for alerting me to this thread...
woo hoo!!!

sorry had to do it. i'm so anxious i cannot concentrate on my work any longer (and i actually love my job...)

been talking/thinking/eating/breathing/sleeping burningman for quite a while now. i have a special trip this year, gonna be on the playa for 3.5 weeks this year! i'll be out there around the 13th of august working on this:
octopuse

with the talented and sometimes lovely madagascar institute from NYC...

i am not really committed to any camps as of yet so no location to reveal but come looking for me over by said octopus, somebody can probably locate me...

as for spinning around the man on tuesday night, i will try to make it but as we veterans know it is very hard to make any kind of commitment in advance at BM, you almost always end up getting distracted...i will definitely be in the conclave with the NYC sentinel, and also look for the Naust parade on friday night (at the drive in) for a special watery 1337 performance (we will prolly do fire too, as that is our specialty)...if this year is like the last the conclave rehearsal/check in will be around the man on thursday, so you guys can also look for us there..

as for NYC happenings we are out and about every saturday at sheep's meadow in central park, with some practice gear to lend to people and we have been known to teach some techniques on sunny days...also usually thursdays you'll find some of us occasionally playing in union square, come play with us if you are around the area...

ok that is all, have a great few weeks and let's not talk about BM anymore lest all our heads explode in unison.

peax,

Skunk

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
hehehe...i have a feeling i'm likely to be seen wandering about in platform boots, bikini (gotta fit in w/ the water theme, right?!) and a full length hooded cloak...oh boy
either that or my usual gypsy/belly dancing apparel!
Can't wait! hehehehehee....*pow!* oops, my head exploded

~Charles Baudelaire

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
nyx i'll show you how to make them when we all get together. bring a junky towel with you if you can. yes i'm still excited in case you were wondering! the bus might not go tho.

AardvarkOnAcidmember
92 posts

Posted:
I was planning on going to BM for my first time this year as well.

What should a BM virgin know about surviving the trip and what is the fire spinning atmosphere like out there?

Is that all life comes down to? To be lying face down with an overenthusiastic guy in pink pin-striped pants sitting on top of you and grunting? -- Random MusingsSex, Drugs and Psytrance.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
sunscreen, water, drugs, and spirulina are my keys to BM happiness! and i don't mean bowel movement! and don't forget the fashionable digs!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
okay yes i am depressed, disappointed, devastated, and any other d-word you can think of but the dragonfly fairy bus is not going i will be hanging out in el circo's geodomes tho.
anyone with good air conditioning will get lots of good foot rubs for keeping me from dying a horrible sweaty death
(especially if you're real cute )

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Acid rapidly loses its potency on the playa unless you keep it cold...

-Mike

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
yeah nyx, I'll be in your troupe.

the firedance camp is a completely different camp then fire conclave camp (I think).

and the best garb to be in out there is naked at night. nothing better then naked at night. but no naked in the day, naked sunburn is bad bad bad very bad.

and remember:

its not bartering. its a gift economy.

printed on burning man ticket: "you assume the risk of serious injury or death by attending this event"

ONLY 27 DAYS LEFT!!!! NOT EVEN A MONTH!!!!

Page: