Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Where is Bedford? If it is on a train or bus line I could try to make it up there to get out of the city for a weekend...hehe

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
urgh... you don't really want to, trust me!! Why do you think I'm looking for places to go on the weekends? ubblol

(Apologies to all Bedford people!)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

MojojoGOLD Member
wandering dingo
167 posts

Posted:
30th of May for Gabe .. And me! (Woot! I'll know someone) We arrive on the 27th so I'll try make it along on my first Tuesday. Fingers crossed.
Now, just need to find somewhere to live.

Only three things are certain: Death, Taxes, and that England will not win back the Ashes in this lifetime.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
hey Jo that's wicked! Meeting you first up Earthcore Mountain, then in the middle of London!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

KateMnewbie
8 posts

Posted:
Hi, i am really new to this website. Is the spitalfields meet running every tuesday? I'd like to meet up for a poi and learn some new moves!

katex

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Yes...every Tuesday!!!! Hope to see you there! smile

monseratSILVER Member
My flabber is gasted
737 posts

Posted:
Hoping to come over next week as well. A few of us have just finished the Apex beginners course in Elephant and Castle with Dave Knox (thoroughly recommended by the way!!) so we all need our Tuesday night spinning fix! bounce2

Chaos is the natural state of the universe

Some days I'm the pigeon, some days I'm the statue.

honourary militant margerine ninJAH

If it wasn't for displacement activity I wouldn't get half as much done

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
I too may be coming down to this tuesday. Am free and want to go there again smile

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

KateMnewbie
8 posts

Posted:
What happens if the weather is rubbish? I can't hold a brolly at the same time! wink

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
It is undercover....[censored] weather does not worry us!!!

See you guys tonight...Draghkyre (Jed) will be coming with me tonight!

KateMnewbie
8 posts

Posted:
Wicked!! I can ignore this horrible grey cloud looking evil at me. See you guys there then! smile

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
28 Days until I fly into your fantastic city biggrin
Will see you all in spittlefields hopefully shortly after the 20 june : )

Weeeeeee!
hug

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

monseratSILVER Member
My flabber is gasted
737 posts

Posted:
I don't think I'll be on my own but it won't matter if I am will it? I'm a bit shy really! redface

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You need not worry if you are on your own, or even if you are shy. Everyone there is not shy smile

Im probably not going tonight as its there, and im here. Here is sunny..and is my house. There is far away (not just small), costs money and effort to get to as well as 3hrs on the train. smile

In other words.. im just lazy.. redface

have fun! bounce

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
frown

you're crap jonny.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I'll get dinner for you when you get in... tongue

monseratSILVER Member
My flabber is gasted
737 posts

Posted:
Good stuff! as long as I'm not going to end up standing in a corner somewhere I'll be ok biggrin

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
Im gonna be down tonight. biggrin See you all later smile

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Oh mr JonCof, let's look at the stats shall we.

i've spent all day slaving over hot computers at work for ungrateful civil servants and members of the judiciary who i will not say anything uncomplimentary about on a public forum ubbangel

and i bought world of warcraft yesterday, and my fingers are itching to play it.

Really.

It's like a terrible burny stabbing geeky sensation.

and you?

You sat around the boat all yesterday, you're going to sit around the boat all day tomorrow.

and you're the one who's not going to spitz like a big mclame sandwich

my brow? tis rais-ed. Like thus: umm

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
You will miss another Aussie strange person if you don't come tonight....

This Aussie is really worth meeting too!!!!

See you all there in an hour or so....

SixthSILVER Member
Devil May Cry
327 posts

Posted:
I'll be coming down as soon as i get back to Londinium biggrin

I give hope to others but I keep none for myself.

monseratSILVER Member
My flabber is gasted
737 posts

Posted:
So that was Spitz!! I really enjoyed last night, even managed to learn a new move by mistake!

Long way to go and lots things to learn before I can call myself good at this poi lark though...

Hi to folks I spoke to and see you all again next week ubbloco

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
oooooh, tetchy-monkeyness - this is great!

roll up, roll up for the all-singing, all-dancing floating domestic brawl with monkey and joncof wink

i'm with jonny on this one - mainly because last night i went home and just juggled and span like a sad wannabe loner too.

found meself a new favourite new move though ubblove

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
ubblol

actually i can't remember the last time you turned up at spitz cole. just the other day we were all standing around saying about how long it was since we'd seen your useless ass and how we could all show you a thing ot two... tongue

*wonders what lovely new moves cole's been working on while he's been chained up in the garden as princess bam's love slave* wink

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
So... Who's going...?

You might have a me turning up later biggrin

I don't suppose there's anywhere in London I can stay for the night, is there? ubbangel

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I am going....and my friends Kylie and Jo will be there and I think Gabe is meant to be turning up too.....

I would offer a bed but my house is pretty full at the moment...got a couple of dossers!!!! no more room...sorry! frown

monseratSILVER Member
My flabber is gasted
737 posts

Posted:
I want to but got bit of a cold at the moment so feeling rough. Will have to see how I feel after a little sleep this afternoon methinks.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
despite what i said yesterday, i'm just hitting the post bankholiday mashup exhaustion so can't be arsed this eve i'm afraid ed... frown spank

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Woohoo I made it! despite the freezing wind and shifting time zones... great to meet you all! Liked the pub too biggrin
See you all again at PLAY!!

**oops, missed you other Aussies though.. where were ya??

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
We left at about 8:30...it was cold and Jo and Richard hadn't eaten so we took off to go find them some food....next week??

Page: ......