Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
oh...and there will be something very different about me tonight...

SEE (there the clue) if you can spot what EYE (whoops was that another rouge clue) have done..

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
A pigeon pecked your eyes out? You got glasses / coloured contacts?

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
kat wasn't even there and she noticed but no-one there did.

apparently everyone thought it was perfectly natural looking to have one blue eye and one purple eye.

mind you, this is jon we're talking about...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
oh yeh...good point..

now on a more serious note..

guys...last night's turn out was abysmal..in fact it was terrible..i think about 15 people came...everyone had left by about 9.45....

these tuesdays are for everyones benefit and if no one turns up to pay euan ( nudge nudge euan (you know what i mean buy you know why i cant)) then euan is making large losses..

i know the weather is shitty at the moment but come on guys....PLEASE try and make an effort to come down and spin..its only £4 ( )for 4 hours of fun and frollicking...indoors and it is much warmer inside the market then outside..

bring who you can..friend, neighbour, aunt, get uncle hubert from lower uzbekistan if you must.

i want spitz to continue..i love it..the atmoshphere when someone learns a new move..the greenery..the friends...the friendships...the laughs...the drooling at the sick stuff coleman manages to do...you mnow what i mean..

tuesday is one of the only days of the week i look forwards to..cos i get to see all my friends in the evening..

for example...jez, simian (they both had important reasons so they told me), bama bam (ill), hells (dont know), barie fen, and others wernt there...all were sadly missed...

come on guys...

(im trying not to sound like a bellend (sorry if its failing but its unintentional))

lets try and turn up a little more often...

i want spitz to stay and i hope you feel the smae way...

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
I was not there as I went to see my folks, I do not see them often so I always take every opportunity I can. I cannot always make it due to work commitments.

But I do agree that we love spits and I am sure noone wants to see it stop. For all those who have never been before it is a great atmosphere with many friendly people there willing to teach. For all those who have been before you know its great.

Although Spits does have a tendency to either be really busy or really empty, odds are that next week loads will turn up!!!

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i like to think of spitz as my 'home' workshop.
i've been attending since last november, in fact i think i've only missed about six weeks in that time.

i've met loads of wikid people there (including ucof and jez) and learnt so much its silly

unfortunately i won't be along for a while as i have the impending doom that are exams at the start of june (hels has been @ college on tuesday evenings this year on the same course).

i will sorely miss my spinning/drinking/chatting/hugging tueday evenings. i feel like i'm giving up part of my weekend

to everyone who lives in london that hasn't gone - GO!
i can't recommend it enough and ewan is one of the most friendly and generous people you can possibly find running a workshop right now - like he completely neglected to tell me when the price went up so i've only been giving him £3 forever! ewan, you should have told me! let me know how long i owe ya for man and i'll send it on

long live spitz.

i can't wait to come back.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
£4?

When did that change? Ewan must be too polite to tell the people (like me) who just give him £3. I'll have to sort how much I owe, especially since Ewan's making a loss at the moment.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
erm...i think it was...

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Yeah it was quite empty on Tuesday unfortunately But I'm sure it'll improve again

"Moo," said the happy cow.

faery emBRONZE Member
fae
259 posts

Posted:
i will be at spits next tues 6th
not the 13th
quite possibly the 20th
almost definately the 27th
definately not the 3rd or the 10th June
then on and forever more (until december job depending)
is that okay jon, dave etc??

and whats this about 4 pounds (smallboy - what did you do with my pound sign??!)
Ewan, if we don't turn up a few times its even more important to tell us about a price rise. i'll readily part with another pound.
since when has this been about??

until tues

warp children still smile the same

"when i left the mine i realised that the world was changing. or was it us who were changing?"

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
um, actually i'm assuming that this £4 rumour was actually started in error by one Mr Chins of Fur. Though i could be wrong. So anyway i know of a few more people coming to next weeks (emily, me, umm jez? don't ask me i only live with him, errr) ok so maybe i should think of more examples of things before i write them but then life would be less interesting.

Anyway, in penance for missing the last one, here is my list of $ixteen good things about $pittalfields

1 $pittalfields is good
2 i've been to lots
3 i've missed (i think) 4 of them ever, and i was sorry when i did
4 ucof, coleman and spiralx have probably missed even less than me and they're much better at saying hello to people
5 even when it was cold it was good
6 now its not cold so its gooder
7 It has balls on string
8 they go round
9 it has sticks
10 they go round too
11 the sticks and balls on string are attached to people that you can hug
12 it is run by ewan
13 he is also lovely
14 and you can hug him too
15 there is beer
16 did i mention that its good?

that is why everyone should come to $pitz. i'll be expecting you, and if you don't turn up, i'll send The Untied Chins of Fur round your house to have $ex with your spouse\dog\sofa\leg\letterbox

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
YIPEE!!

thank you simon!

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
I missed this week because I was poorly ill (better now though).

I'm not going to be able to make it to next weeks workshop because I'll be on a Beach in Greece (poor me ehhhh) ohh and I'll be stealing Hels Bells too .

See you all in a week

BamBam

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I have been not busy busy busy the last few Tuesdays but I should be around Tuesday!

I can see your mismatched eyes then UCF

I've only been a few times but wish I could make it more!

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I think I've missed 2 (or maybe 3) since I started going in September!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:

Like Cole said, I've been having college after work on Tuesdays, so only make it down every so often. Plus next week we're on holiday but then I've really gotta knuckle down and do some studying . But.....after exams, I'll be there every week (gotta show off my new aerotech's!!!)

Yeah!

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
erm....spiralx. (really embarrased about this..) who are you????

are you alex?

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
Glad u asked UCF was wondering the same actually!

Ads. xx

Is that magnets!?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
well, i can tell you it ain't alex- he only started coming this year.

mr x has been going since before i did - in fact he was probably the only person there that i knew when i first turned up. lovely bloke

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Great with poi too

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

3,149 posts

Posted:
thats got to be about the millionth (3rd) time someones asked that.

spiralx is james

wanders round in a floppy green jumper

spins complicated needle thready patterns with his tails

gives lots of hugs

ring any bells?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ahhh....

ginger hair??

3,149 posts

Posted:
i'd call it strawberry blonde, but yes, the colour of his hair matches the colour of my luxuriant goatee beard

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
what? whitey gingery orangy redy silvery?

thats a cool hair colour..

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
quote:
my luxuriant goatee beard
Ahhh hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Luxuriant!!

Is that magnets!?

3,149 posts

Posted:
Oh so you laugh at my luxuriance Mr Adam?

You reckon your goatee is better eh!

Come on then! I challenge you to a Beard Duel.

Mine has far more colours in it than yours, and its curlier too (when i grow it)

Thus i am assured of victory.

um, does anyone remember the rules for beard duels. they've popped clean out of my head.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
isnt it....

stand back to back,..
on judges orders both take 10 paces forwards,
as soon as 10 has been reached,
turn around and whoevers beard it better is the winner.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
can't argue with those rules can ya

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
ahhh I can see a flaw in your plan Simian...

I think Mr Adam has shaved his goatee off ??!?!

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

3,149 posts

Posted:
Then surely i win by default unless Adam can force enough hair to sprout from his chin before next Tuesday.

Page: ......