GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Been a while. And I figured people my want something new to play with. So this one is not a move, really its a fundamental way of (not)spinning to play with.
Not difficult, more in the category of headfuks and games.

Now I'm usually very careful not to name moves, Or just to use their logical (S.I. ) name but this one, for the inspiration*, and for his huge big magnificent and valued contribution to the world of poi, we gotta thank that top bloke Mr Jay Gilligan and we name these after him

Gilligans / Gillies.
(pronounced like what fish have not like the girl)

Def: "Swinging with one poi held in a hang straight down, trying to stop the poi from swinging (can be even moving) at all."

Try: TTN, then stop the right poi on the left side. Left poi still spinning, now you are Right hand gillie, left hand doing forwards thread the needle with an extra loop (that might be called 4 bt??) round it, you’ll find that your arms are knotted pretty quick and you cant go any further. So take the gillie poi up behind your head round to the other side and back infront and your arms are unknotted, back where you started.
or fron the know, unthread your right arm which will leave your right poi looped round your left forearm still hanging, pull and your back in TTN. both spinning. baaaad asss

Double Gillies - Holding both poi in hangs:
Try this one: My favorite sequence is cross follow to reverse cross follow, then back to cross follow then stop one poi (probably have to point that one out to the audience for them to really appreciate the stopped stop. to bring it back up into forwards thread the needle (don't forget the little loop/beat in TTN) . Try it, its wicked. Windmill gillie is really hard.

If you juggle clubs then think flats.

Anyway I'm well up to post up your wicked variations. I thing Rob minero had a wicked hyperloop, entering gilie exiting followtime. Not for me, but cool anyway.

Glass

(*well almost)

[ 17. April 2003, 02:01: Message edited by: Glåss ]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yay! glass posting in poi moves

i'm honoured to be the first to say...

i don't get it.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:

Just for you cole I added an extra bit

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
that's simmilar to something you did on one of those poiinthepark videos rght? your just throwing in air stall semi randomly, and working your way out/around them?

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
You were showing me these at our party at Medussa weren't you? Odd looking stuff

"Moo," said the happy cow.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
How is this different than a stall? I don't think I'm visualizing it right... I've seen Cass do a butterfly then stop the right poi on the outside of her left arm in a stall, then start it up again in weave. Is that it? Probably not...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
yea the stall to get into it, but keep the stall hanging and swing lots threading arms through and round each other. Try 5bt weave with one poi gillie.
Its basically taking stalls the the extreme, and experimenting with what to do with hanging poi. Like hang a poi, then walk round it keeping it fixed in space with the other one still spinning

Rob does *ahem* "doms crazy gillie tranlations" in the morning in morning coffee. I wonder who he got that from the night before

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh... I get it. You're essentially playing with a stalled poi? One poi dead and the other.. um ... poiing. Cool. Seems doable, I'll have to play.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Pretty cool idea. I think audiences are impressed by motionless or near motionless poi Especially with big wicks because the flames are so big.

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Cheers the inspiration Glass

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I did the tnt gillie last night, it worked realy good. Wasn't difficult either, but I think it brings much needed variety to the poi world.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
I'm a little surprised that no one has enquired as to Gilligans contribution to us all in the poi community
He invented Poi.
Its true

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
Im sure he invented staff as well.

Im enjoying this Glass, i hope to perform a gillie 1 of these 1 day.

please continue.

Its all just smoke and mirrors

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I still don't QUITE get it...

Any chance of a short vid?

I get the feeling that this is a picture being worth a thousand words kind of thing...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
how so o enlightened one?(dru?)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
I like jez/dave's 2 in 1 hand gilligans
and mouth gilligans. They're absolutly rubbish. Perfect.

meantime, also the tom/nix (and a bit of Drew)cornish pasty shop varient. where you lean on the gilligan ..... Hmm mime doesn't pay.

Anyway there a thread in social that explains about the invention of poi.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Yep. the inventor of poi
>> anyway, Bio of that Mr Jay Gilligan...

Commonly known as the inventor of poi, Gilligan is quick to point out that he did not in fact actually think to swing them. "Its much more interesting, what the kids are doing these days with poi, than what I used to do. For me it was all about seeing how still I could keep them, especially while jogging," Gilligan said. When asked if he has any other inventions up his sleeve, Gilligan tells us that he thinks two innovative ideas in his lifetime may very well be his limit. Two inventions? "Yeah, if you look at these pictures of early poi prototypes, you can see there is just one string held in the right hand. The idea to use my left hand too, and therefore neccessitate another poi (and therefore another invention), came much much later."

(extract from peapot.net (They make fantastic amazing juggling videos, check out the clips on the site,) anyway this is from the menu... peapot video/people behind peapot.)

So, go figure where to name came from.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I burned my fairy hand playing with this. I hope the audience appreciated it. Can I have a hug now?

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

3,638 posts

Posted:

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
to make it better

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

3,638 posts

Posted:
thank you muchly. i think I might have got the thread the needle one....... but I get a little confused as to what my hands are actually doing. It takes a bit to get your head around it!!!