Page:
BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
I might be blind..cause I have searched HOP but havent found any explanation on how to do a 6 beat corkscrew/windmill...but my guesss that you have to use the same method as a 7 beat weave (twirl at the elbows)
Right....

cheers

and I just want to say thanks to all the people who help out here...makes it more motivating...
reading all the threads here have made me a much better poiman.....thanks

I like Fire.. :)

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
as far i know thats not possible

Dance like if noone were watching you

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
sorry your thoughts are wrong i posted a video a few months back probably still located in the jedi set thread of my 7 beat no wrap corkscrew.
also quote arashi with that one we had an argument over it.
if there isnt a link i can post one to the flick.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
6 beat windmill is a wrpa at the front and a wrap behind the head.

corkscrew can be done the same, with out wrap your right on the spot from the elbow.
there are 3 possiblities here, no wrap style
equivelent to 6 beat weave makes a 7 beat corkscrew, which you can do the extra beat up at the top or down below in front of you, put both in and you get the 8 beat.
one ugly move i tell you that much.
if i post a link i will do it tommorrow in the video thread, to keep videos tidy. its an old and sketch movie so dont rip me on it.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
or you could watch COL 2, the first entry has a 6 beat windmill (wrap in front, wrap in back) in it

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
*cough* sexy 9 beat windmill no wraps *cough*

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
yeah we know arashi your a god

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
for nightshade:

7 beat corkscrew

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Argh!! Darned 'puter downloading decorder ELVES!! They've run away from my new shiny 'puter.. unless they were never here in the first place..

codex.. OHHH CODEX!! Where are you-oo??

*trudges off to find them......*

/edit - found them - thanks for the help PK - from Hedgehog..

You guys must be made of rubber!

[ 30. January 2003, 02:42: Message edited by: MisStix ]

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Methinks the maximum would be 6 beats for corkscrews and windmills (equivalent to 7 beat weave) - unless you have some kind of corrupted strange 'body' like Arashi must have...

For a reason that I've never managed to adequatly explain, weaves naturally have an extra beat on top of Ws & Cs. Hence, if 9 beats are possible then so are 10 by doing the extra-extra-extra beat on both sides (in front & behind) your stretchy head.

correct me if I'm wrong...

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
okay since we're getting into it, you are correct. it is easy to explain in person. crossover in {(edit:)windmill}/weave is like a 90' turn, so with a flip of the body as the weave goes to the top at the end of the no elbow seven, (like a temporary turn through the 90' to the 180, and back to the 90' point for the actual weave), the extra 2 beats are possible. the cross over is delayed in the 180 flick. 9 is the top-side-7 beat(no elbows) with the extra rotations at the top. also possible on the low too. it is possible to do more that 9, but i don't wanna give everybody inferiority complexes KIDDING KIDDING, really they are not aesthetic whereas the 9 beat is really nice. we'll get to those later.

before you can do this particular 9 you must be able to do the seven without crossing your elbows.elbows. i don't even do that elbow stuff. man, darnit, this probably won't make sense until you guys get more 7 beats. oh well sorry

[ 30. January 2003, 08:42: Message edited by: arashi ]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
had to edit that, in my system, spider is weave and windmill is same as "weave", simply over the head wall plane spider. now i know how cassandra feels, having to translate everything

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Arashi you got me lost i couldnt follow your post at all.

so the way i work this out:
corkscrew is a weave on its side.

you got the 7 beat weave turn it on its side to corkscrew it will give you 8 beat, equal ammount of beats top and bottom as it is side to side in the weave. [six beat is not equal even though it would seem an even number would be... wrong!]

so you can do a 6 beat weave and turn it on its side gives you 7 beat corkscrew, possibe eith at the top or the bottom, because there are not even beats that one extra beat has to go some where. so by learning to do the extra beat at the top and the bottom you can then put both together and make the 8 beat.

or fuck it you can cheat and do the infinate corscrew, just spin round with it the same direction your poi are spinning.
for each 360 degrees' you turn with your poi you add 2 beats to the number, take the 4 beat when its unwraped above your head, turn 360 degree's, then wrap your hands again and drop it back down to complete the move.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
frick frick frick.

i just typed out a really frickin good explanation for the 7-9 beats and even took a stab at how to do 9+ beat "weave" moves (as opposed to other kinds of 9+ beat spider moves) but the smileys were too plentiful and it's ALL GONE. took me like five hours. and i got an audition in two days. sorry dudes. all gone.
suffice to say for now that to go beyond seven is to restructure the way you are thinking about the weaves. figure out what they have in common and negate the lines between them until you have the spider, and nothing but the spider. then you can go further.
the crossover position is the key. and reread what i said about the 90 and 180 degree turns.

anyway one thing i will retype in shorter form is that for some reason your jedi louise vid worked!!!
so after seeing it i got inspired to actually go and spend some time and do it. didn't hit me before that with the louise, it makes it actually possible to do 12-13 beats. wicked. is your mouth watering yet?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
haha she's one ugly bitch huh, wanna see her neked? or do i keep those locked away still forever!
good luck with the audition, i got one next week too... nerve racking man i tell ya.

i need to be able to understand this here spider shit your on about. i have a vague idea but i am in visual mode right now and need to see this. 4 am text just doesnt do it for me.

yeah we have eye's and we can read, but if you are unable to visualise then eye's become redundant. pk 30.01.03

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
spider thing, here it is really easy-

only difference in windmill, weave, and corkscrew is
A. plane position.
B. center point of crossover.
in your "weave" {B} is straight ahead, in "windmill" it is straight up. in corkscrew it is easy to move {B} around without knowing what you are even doing, which is why the 8 beat is there teasing you... in 7 beat topside right, it is rotated beyond top ("windmill" crossover point). it takes some fancy footwork, that's getting to the blah blah blah part.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
hold on dude dont go to bed yet i'm hopping on a plane and coming to see you... lol
i'm gonna kick myself when i eventually see this aint i? i can well i think i can see what ur tring to tell me, i did just wake up though so i might have to reread it again in an hour.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
funny you should say that- it's 6 a.m. here and i'm sweaty, stinky, delerious, and i got the munchies , still awake since last we spoke and darnit it's hard to go back to regular moves for performing when you've been working on prototypes for a long time

same bat time, same bat channel, this is your bat brain on drugs

yeah i kicked myself pretty good when i found them. actually i threw my hands up in the air and ran around in circles screaming "WHO'S YOUR DADDY ???"(sorry that's just one arm) but then i do that a lot

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
<< that make two arms but you will have to be a siamese twin though haha

i hate my sleep pattern at the mo mate... but i have writen a ot about mysef in the past few nights and let myself be known more socially to you all, but apart from that try to acomplish more in my skills too, wether it be larning or plain old helping others.

HOP there is just no time left for being arsed to have that bath or shower you was gonna get in 4 hours ago. you and me both must feel horrid and stinky dude but who cares there's us and these 4 walls we sit with all night. or and our poi.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
I think I understand about this spider thing now, or at least, some of it... Correct me if i'm wrong, please.

it seems you can change the timing of the point where a weave crosses you body by turning your body instead... while doing a 5bt forwards weave, where you would normally pass the poi accross your body, turn your shoulders away from the poi, and you can get another beat in by continuing to twist your wrists. Then bring them across your body. this, unfortunatly is the hard part. i keep hitting the back of my head and my leg at the same time. if you could do this on both sides, it's another way to do the seven beat, with no wrap, and no elbows.
The easiest way to mess up it to let the poi wrap, either on each other, or on you wrist. if this happens, then it means you're trying to add two extra beats, not one.

That extra beat you can add in to corkscrews comes from the same place, a twist of the shoulders at the right moment.

By the same method, it looks like 8- and 9-bt ugly elbow weaves should be possible...

--Ben

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
anybody else feel that fresh breeze just blow through here?

we're almost there, kids...

as you try moving the crossover point farther and farther, twist your waist into the turn, and do that 180 waist flick/stall i talked about, and oh yeah don't forget the plane control! two nine beats are just around the corner.
visualize a spiral or black hole traveling from your hands up close to your head and making your whole body twist around a point in the center of your body as the vortex passes by your head, and then the vortex twists into nothing as it passes your ear/ over you bicep.

not to be confused of course with the "black hole," easily the most coveted move in chain history...

i should add that i certainly believe that more than 13 is possible. somehow. anyone?

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
OK... 9-bt no wrap weave, but with the elbows... you do the elbow 7- , faceing towards it, then the crossover is done by bending over backwards and praying you got the timing right. I can get about two or three times through before my poi get bored and attack me.

As for the no elbow seven, it feels like i keep my wrists together, and my elbows at 180' apart...
Sounding right?

EDIT
I see... you can turn your wrists inside out if you turn your body 90'. infact, you can get an extra beat on the begining and end (well, top and bottom, really) of a normal 5bt, on each side, by facing away from your poi. Which adds up to nine beats. with no elbows. and no wraps. nice. just got to get my hands to do it, now...

Oh, and you can do a 5bt weave where the crossovers are airwraps about halfway along the string...
END EDIT

--Ben

[ 31. January 2003, 09:14: Message edited by: tenticle ]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
i only spent about five seconds playing with louise (can't believe i "kept it up" that long... had to close my eyes and pretend she was somebody else ) just long enough to see louise 12 beat there...

stick to doing it out of the five beat for now. cuz the timing of the turn is the key. less movement is better, there should be _no_ strain or bending backward. i can do a lazy fountain with nothing but the last two beats in 7 beat spider... man it's fun

you got the shoulder thing right. basically. but the nine beat is a whole other story, involving even more complexity...

and guys, this is just the tip of the iceberg...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
ben i wanna discuss this one with you on saturday man if thats kewl.
i get the possitions, i think.

what about the offset 7 +2 extra beats of the fingers +another 2 beats from a wrap? that means possible 11 with only 1 wrap and unwrap on each side.

pointless ugly shit if you ask me, we yern to understand things that excite us as a primordial urge kicks in. primitive instincts of poi.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Right. 7-bt without crossing your elbows or wrapping... looks shakey, and most of the time, it's only a 6-bt (grr damn left hand side) but it works. the wrist positions look alot like the middle of a hyperloop, where the strings cross.
I'll explain later, but unfortunatly, i've got a maths exam in the morning, and if i don't stop spinning now i deffinatly won't pass. But i'll work on it some more tommorrow, and hopefully have something half decent by Saturday...

--Ben

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
wicked.
good luck with the exam.
sheffield has a habit of poi spinners failing exams cos they all got hooked on spinning a headhcarge

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
My head hurts from this thread... but I am inspired! Good luck with the exams

"Moo," said the happy cow.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
OH MY GOD YOU GUYS

please stretch the front of your shoulders thoroughly before doing these. they involve relatively unused muscles and there is a jerking motion in there that put me down for a couple a days when i started these...

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Whats the best way of stretching the front of your shoulders? Cos they're killing me this morning. Although not as much as my wrists, or, for no apparent reason, my right thigh.

--Ben

Page: