Mr_CoopsSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Having a bit of difficulty in transitions
Particularly from weeave to butterfly and vice versa.
When doing a weave do you turn ninety degrees with one hand in front and the other behind the back.'
then when you bring the behind back hand to the front forming the butterfly?

Ta for any suggestions

Herby

At the top of the spin..
..i found my smile biggrin

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Herbybisc, a wrap is needed to do that coz the poi will be spinning in the same direction.
When you get one infront and one behind, try a leg wrap behind, then bring it in front to the btf.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I just go from a weave to a forward swing and then into a butterfly. It takes a bit of time, but it gives me a rest.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Dont complicate yersefl...
jsut do a wrap and problem solved... thats the easy way to go from a weave family to a butterfly family and viseversa

Dance like if noone were watching you

Mr_CoopsSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmmmmmm..

..Wraps seem to be the way.
Can sorta get it from butterfly but when would you put the wrap in sya the forward weave to go to butterfly?
Was sorta trying to flow into and outa tricks wraps to me seem to break flow but could be just me &/or my technique they areb a bit sketchy.

Ta very much for replys..
..Wanders off to practise more

Herby

At the top of the spin..

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Dude well look
if you going fwrd weave if you wrap to yer left side you get fwrd butterfly if you wrap right hand you get rev butterfly

You know how to do the rev butterfly?

Mr_CoopsSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Reverse butterfly I know. I do try and learn everything in reverse but lots and lots of practice when my left hand leads it goes all wonky lol.

Herby

At the top of the spin..

Mr_CoopsSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Firemorph

Where in Lancs you from jus noticed that. I'm from there originally and am moving back near end of August

Herby

At the top of the spin..

Mr_CoopsSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Just been out the back for a quick spin.
Very wobbly but they're there on the forward weave.
Havn't tried reverse yet

Cheers all

Herby

At the top of the spin..

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Herby

I live in St.Annes, 2mins from the beach. Either send me a PM or email me Firemorphster@Hotmail.com & we can sort a meet, 'there not be many of us poi peeps from round 'ere.'

P.S. Try going from weave > arm wrap > butterfly. It's smooth, flows well, and looks impressive too

Mr_CoopsSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Be groovy to meet up
I'm moving to Lancaster end of August bit of travel but that be the way of things
herbybiscuits@hotmail.com

Getting there on wraps going to take some tme me thinks

Herby

At the top of the spin..

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
*Feels it might be worth noting that...*

It IS possible to go from a weave variation to a butterfly variation without moving, and without a wrap. It's all about just turning your wrist the right way and you can change the planes of the poi.

I found it helpful to try thinking of where each poi could possibly go, at every point in their circles. This helped open my eyes up to more of the various things you can do *other* than moves..ie..transitions, or just flowing..

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
oh dude who is crazy in raving do you mean snappy transition changing?? what about people who weave like a dozen times per second? is the transition your talking about (weave -> butterfly) done by slicing your poi handles across on the downward and inward/return trajectories of each poi so that the plane is still vertical but in a butterfly?
/reaches for chalkboard..

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Well crazyraverdude yes of course its possible going from a weave family to a butterfly family without wrapping but dunno.... i just find it that just looks better and fluidy but dunno
what you think??

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Dunno about at warp speed Bender, but I’m with CRD on the transition. I spin slowly, and you only have to change one wrist to get the transition.

Wraps are great, but I really think you limit yourself if that’s the only transition you know.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
im not limited to wrap for transitions... i can do transitions without wrapping.. i just think that trasitions looks better with wraps

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Kicks and arm wraps.
Kick to go from weave to butterfly, and upper arm wraps to get back. - Just a preference.
Herby - If you're free on Tuesdays come to Liverpool Street Station with us & loads of people will show you their personal fave wraps/transitions etc - Check out in Events section.

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

Mr_CoopsSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
try to get there this tuesday...

wanders off to events....

C you there

Herby

At the top of the spin..

Mr_CoopsSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
you mean at medway kent??
Desire directions

Gettinglost

Herby

At the top of the spin..

trance guymember
11 posts

Posted:
Hey speaking of butterflies. I found out that it looks really cool to go from a forward swing into an overhead butterfly then straight down into the butterfly. I looks much more professional and it takes less time to go into the butterfly move, try it and let me know how it turns out. ya can email me if ya want too

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
TRY THIS

(*not sure if anybody's mentioned it yet....*)

I use reverse purely as an example but it can be done any which way you please....

1. Reverse butterfly
2. Overhead reverse butterfly
(for as many beats as you wish)
3. Forward Crossover
(On the upward beat of rev.btf bring back over your head, cross arms and push down into forwards crossover or forwards chase)

It can be done in forwards or reverse and from a weave to a butterfly or from a butterfly to a weave. And there are no turns or wraps though it's one smooth quick movement. I use it a lot and I've seen loads of people pulling it off really well.

I also like to use wraps as many people have mentioned but find wrists/biceps much easier than legs

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

SaggyDmember
56 posts

Posted:
Alright this is really easy, if you do it quick it looks pretty sweet. when going with the weave start bringing it in and out of the weave, and when you bring it out stick out your right foot and kick the poi, then you will have one going forward and one backwards, then you turn 90 degrees to your left and keep your left hand going the same way but fling your right hand over and into the butterfly, kind of confusing took me a while to get used to it, email me if you have anyquestions Southparkbrat52@hotmail.com (if it doesn't post it on the thingy)

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately I have recently lost all concept of planes and directions.. this results in bouncy bouncy chase chase bounce chase .......

I blame that butterlfy weave thingy and 3 point thread the needle (4 point with over the head aswell!)..

Mr_CoopsSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Ha Ha He He
Yaaaay for me
Got the flick of wrist thing too
Wraps and wrist thing not perfect

I must try harder!!

Fank you all

Herby

At the top of the spin..