Page:
PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
trust me I've looked for past threads!! I've just got the 5beat weave after a night of agh ooooph!!! and yes more gut renching hits to the jiggle berries . I tried to do it in reverse and thats where my head started to hurt. I'll get it eventually. just wondering if any one has any helpfull pointers from when they were learning it that might make it less painfull and a bit easier to understand,

cheerz Spike

ask yourself this??.......... When was the last time you dug a hole you could be proud of???
answers on a post card

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
I had the same problem, and nearly broke my nose everytime!! :^)
Here's how I sorted it:
When moving from one side to the other, let's say moving from the left side to right, your right hand will go over first. As it moves over it should be kinda hooking your left arm at the wrist, all you need to do is really over exaggerate the move to the other side, shifting your body may help too.

Good luck
Peace

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
yeah this one is really hard!! i have almost broke my nose, bruised my face and thoughtthat i was gonna get a black eye!! lol...but thats in the past, now i can manage to not hit myself, but i still cant pull off more than a couple beats!! arrgghhh!! o well back t practicing!!

p.l.u.r.r.

[ 02 May 2002, 11:49: Message edited by: XTREMRAVR ]

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
This move is driving me nuts. I've been at it for two weeks now, and my face is quite sore.

spike33, I'll race ya! Let me know if you get it, and I'll do the same.

PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
Ok then Paddy your on!!! hehehehehe I was working on it last night I kinda got half of the movenment on my left side and crunch agghhhh f**k my head!!

ask yourself this??.......... When was the last time you dug a hole you could be proud of???
answers on a post card

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
You know, any sane person would realize you can shorten your chains enough so it doesn't hit your face and learn the movements.

Of course this sane person wasnt't me and i went through much pain learning this move.

So carry on.

884 posts

Posted:
Hey spike33, I think we're tied then. I can do one half, but not conisitently...and the other half will land me in the hospital before long (note to self: find softer poi!)
the race goes on...

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I found it helped to move as much of your arm across your body as possible. Try positioning your arms so that one elbow is on top of the other, or even past it (right on top of/past left when the poi are on your left side). This makes it easier to wrap your wrists around each other. Eventually your wrists will get used to the positioning, and you won't need to cross your arms so much.
Hope this helps.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
Just an up date! shorter poi would be beneficial but then there wouldn't be the insentive to learn the move if it didn't hurt when you went wrong.
I spent time on it last night and after several extra lumps found there way on to my head I managed to do it. But only for a short time then it was the same old story. yup pain, Why is it that you always hit your self in the same place so it more painfull as you go on ??? must just be one of those things.
Keep me posted on how your doin PAddy
cheerz Spike

answers on a post card

Earlybirdmember
19 posts

Posted:
No idea if this will help but when I was learning i found that the reverse seems to like a certain physical space i.e. it works if you do the wrist lock slightly above head height (on the left side worked for me) then turn your body out of the way as it unravels, it helps to avoid your head and when you have mastered it, you can pull it down to waist or whatever.

let it out, let it go, let it all unravel,
set it free and it can be
a path on which to travel...

PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
I've managed to do it now?? I can noe do the rverse better than fowards. Even did it with fire for the first time on fri (actually it was the first time i'd lit up yeah)
Spike

answers on a post card

884 posts

Posted:
Arg. Well done Spike, I guess you win.
I'm still at where I was a while ago...I've become distracted by some other moves. All started when I began hitting the BTB moves...got addicted fast.
Will keep it up though...maybe I'll have it in the next week or so.
Congrats!

PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
nice one paddy!! BTB ?? I'm still causing some serious damage to myself trying that stuff, given up for a bit to work on one handed stuff, actually that futs just as much

answers on a post card

884 posts

Posted:
Try taking off your pants. It'll make it easier to hit a couple of reps, without loose fabric for the poi to catch on...it'll let you get the feel for it. Once you have it down try it with your pants on.

It sounds stupid but it's worked for a number of people on the board.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
This was definitely a tricky move for me too. Here's a couple tips:

1. It's very timing-sensitive. You've got to be really smooth, and you've got to keep your chains pretty much 180° apart (unlike the fwd 5-beat, where it's actually easier if you let the trailing chain catch up with the first). As your wrists are winding up, you should feel the rhythm--"1...2...3...okay, cross!"

2. I find it helps to keep my wrists locked together through the whole rotation.

3. Fight the impulse to do the move up-high. That's just face guarding, and you're not as pretty as you think you are.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

884 posts

Posted:
Hmm...okay, I've spent the last little while practicing. I'm not face guarding, and I've got a sore nose as a result. But at least I've got that down!

Just one question, Adam. If the wrists are kept locked, how do you get the extra rotation in? The only way I've been able to near-get it so far has been by completely changing wrist position for the extra rotation, with the insides of the wrists together to begin with, and then changing so the outsides are wrists are together. Am I going down a blind alley?

Thanks for your help, Adam, it's very much appreciated.

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Alright, I got the Backwards 5 beat pretty quickly, but i'm having some trouble going from forwards 5 beat to backwards 5 beat with a 180 turn in the middle...any pointers? and as for the BTB, i'm terribly jealous Paddy...for the life of me, i cant do any of it.
Keep it wonderful...Luv,
*Space*

We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment, each thought overcome by anticipation of the next, we take the breaks off

PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
when you do the turn from back to fowards. do a full five beats on the oposite side to which you are goin to turn then as you bring the weave across you body pull the turn out and then go straight in to a five beat weave , So if you turn to the left do a full five beats on your right pull it across do the turn and then you'll have the weave on your right goin forwards do a full five beats on the right !! Hope that helps It goes really fluidly after a little practice.

Hey Paddy got the BTB weave down last night just got to work on the reverse so I start doin turns.

Cheerz
Spike

answers on a post card

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Paddy--I don't want to say you're going down a blind alley, since you might make that technique work, but when I do it, the insides of my wrists are facing each other through the whole thing.

Try holding your hands like this to picture the wrapped-up position I achieve:

On your right side, your right hand is below your left. The insides of your wrists are touching. Your right hand is curled up to point towards your right shoulder. Your left hand is curled down towards a spot on the ground somewhere in front of you. Both your hands will look like arthritic claws.

Obviously reverse everything for the wrapped-up position on the left.

Hope this helps.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
try this...
go aheaad and do as much of the reverse that you can, and just let them tangle... keeping doing that, until you get a feel for exactly WHEN the tangle occurs. then, try to carry your hand to the other side at exactly that moment, so that the tangle doesn't tangle, but gets transferred to the other side... it's all in the timing of when you try to go to the other side. otherwise, it's just one following the other... also, are you doing your beats in proper, split, syncopated fashion, even behind your back? if you were, then the move would pretty much do itself (sore lower back notwithstanding). taht's probably what is hurting you. sounds like you're trying to tackle the move b4 you have the basics, like solid poi rythm. get more control! don't worry about flashy moves yet!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

884 posts

Posted:
Adam, Arashi, thanks for the help.

Adam, the wrist positions you describe feel far more comfortable and make a lot more sense when you consider how it's done forward. You know, I could kind of do it with my wrists contorted in the manner I had them before, but the poi would scrape the insides of my wrists on the unwind (as they were exposed when using my technique). They quite hurt after a few hours of practicing and I had a feeling I wasn't doing it right...your confirmation makes me feel a lot better!

Arashi, I think my rhythm is alright, but I learned with glowsticks so I tend to go way faster than I need to. Makes learning new stuff tricky. I'll try slowing down.

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Thanx a bundle Spike!!! I went out and got within 3 minutes! YAY! There's a whole lot of fustration over and done with. I can even do it continuous! No beats in between! (though I get pretty dizzy ) Again, thanx tons *MUAH*!!!
Luv,
*Space*

We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment, each thought overcome by anticipation of the next, we take the breaks off

884 posts

Posted:
Okay, I'm going downstairs and I'm going to nail this thing before I go to bed tonight. (I said the same thing to myself last night but I then went promptly to bed. But I mean it this time!) I'll let you folks know how it goes.

PS. You know you can't hit a move when you start figuring out OTHER moves while practicing it. There I was trying to the rev 5b weave, and hellllo, there's a 3b corkscrew. WTF?

884 posts

Posted:
Nailed it!
Thank you all for your help.

Off to bed now...

perthBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
quote:
Try taking off your pants
co-ed naked poi t-shirts anyone?

Signatures are for people who can read bad penmanship.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yay, finally got my reverse down. Its still sloppy as hell but I can do it. I had forward for a while now and have that almost perfect...Guess its time to perfect reverse.

Just my two cents: I find that it works better if when crossing over say from left to right, you lock your right forearm, a few inches from the wrist, into your left wrist. This is instead of just locking wrists.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
got 2 words...

wheel plane...

all you people like to twirl chest high... which puts forwards hitting your twig and berries and reverse hitting your neck and face.... if you twirl lower, like around waist level, you'll hit your legs forward and chest reverse.... which in my opinion is a lot safer and hurts a lot less... makes learning a little easier on the body... and once you have it down or at least relatively down, then you can bring it up higher... works the same for BTB stuff, too..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Some moves like 5 beat reverse would be pretty hard to do at waist height.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
actually I do all my twirling waist high.. except the over head, behind head, and over hsoulder stuff....

its actually a lot easier.. especially if you do or want to do BTB stuff.. since most BTB stuff ends up that low...

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
My chains are long enough so that if the top of the swing is at my chest, the bottom is dragging on the ground. My chains are quite long, so I can't exactly use that method

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
tis cool.... to each their own... everyone's gotta have their own style... besides.. I'm one of those weirdos that has a much easier time doing the 5 bt rev then 5 beat forward... took me forever to learn the reverse.. but the timing suits me better... same goes for the 5 bt rev BTB... I also tend to do the 4 bt TTN rev easier then the forward... but I'll be damned if I can do much with the rev butterfly.. LOL

like I said.. to each their own...

Page: