Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

MurphysGal22newbie
8 posts

Posted:
yay I finally got the 3 beat weave down =D

"kerosene keeps me warm,
I'm alone to watch it burn,
kerosene" Bad Religion

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
the antispin fountain ubblove ubblove

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
I learned a horizontal buzzsaw fountain biggrin

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
6 beat Thread the needle...

Just purely for geeky reasons...

Also been messing around with an isolated one handed butterfly. ( I felt like being silly, and it bore some weird results... Now I just need to learn to control it more...)

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Vampyricacid

I learned a horizontal buzzsaw fountain biggrin

great idea biggrin

that would make for a funky photo oh yes.

prize for the first person to get a picture of one of these and an extra hug for anyone who can photograph an antispin buzzsaw flower fountain for the benefit of our eyes ubbloco

erm, i haven't learnt anything new with poi rolleyes

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i don't come in here much anymore but when i do it scares me what everyone else has been up to.... eek

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

SalciliaBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
I'm not making much progress either... stupid weather. angry

But when I can, I'm practicing the isolations I recently almost kind-of 'got'

ubbrollsmile

There appears a flight of dragons without heads. Good fortune.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I just did an 8 beat thread the needle...

I can do 10 beat if you count going behind the head, over the opposite shoulder...

Not really a 'performing move' as such, more of a useful move in a 'display of Geekery' contest...

[/stupid moves]

I should stop being such a poi geek...

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

sirianninewbie
1 post

Posted:
i just started practicing with socks and tennis balls and i can get the weave so happy cause it looked confusing but is easy once u can get it
EDITED_BY: sirianni (1137064806)

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
ok first post in a long time... here's what i learnt

i finally can do my wibble combo like 80% of the time (wibble right poi arond the head, throw under left hand from left side, tapback, catch, wibble to btb throw, tapback in front, catch btb, wibble to UTL airwrap under right leg, throw right poi, tapback, pirouette, catch)
BTB airwraps
albert tosses(club move) with poi (throw BTL catch in front) without switching hands (only forward)
albert tosses with poi, with poi switching hands (only forward, and only on left side (where you throw the right poi)
reverse butterfly double toss, double tapback

... and that's it for now...

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I just got antispin butterfly flowers. A complete accident but they look so nice. I've been working on what I like to call a nose-dive, a downward release although its more of a stall where you drop and catch it under the other arm.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

SquintywitchSILVER Member
14 posts

Posted:
Isolated my right poi. And did a through-the-legs low alternate reel without bruising my groin...

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
butterfly buzzsaw airwrap and exit

the exit was the hard part ubblol

oh and i can now start a one handed butterfly from a dead stop

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Finally got around to learning inversions and also realizing I am twit for not learning them earlier.

Peace, Love, Circles

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rovo

Finally got around to learning inversions and also realizing I am twit for not learning them earlier.

I thought exactly the same thing when I learnt them...

I think they should also be called: 'The move that makes you feel silly when you nail it.' ubblol

Be Water My Friend.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Trapped reverse high wave... its all about keeping the arm thats doing the trap straightg down your side and twisting.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: fireNice

butterfly buzzsaw airwrap and exit

the exit was the hard part ubblol

oh and i can now start a one handed butterfly from a dead stop

not trying to one-up really, but i've recently cleaned up my butterfly buzzsaw double airwrap and exit (the exit being the hard part :lol). and i learned to start a one handed split time butterfly from a dead stop.

wackiness. global consciousness. etc.

-- dut

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
perhaps it is a double airwrap? idk, because i can rev buttefly airwrap from the 4 bt rev weave but the wrap is different

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I just took the (short) time to make sure I had reverse 3bt basic inversions on both sides. I learnt forward a while ago, but never bothered with reverse until now...

Also got to grips with butterfly antispin flowers. I could already do forwards same direction antispin, but never bothered to learn it in butterfly... I can feel antispin turns coming on soon, too...

Be Water My Friend.

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Whoo! horizontal buzzsaws! I really should do revision... but its so dull!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

14 posts

Posted:
Inversions are the new black.

Mr_widdeat my face before i eat yours
253 posts

Posted:
not really a move but combo, backwards iso weave into a inverstion rolling across my chest into backwards buzzsaw then backwards iso weave. looks cool i think, thats if i described it right, not to hot on the old names. but i go on what i read on here.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
bahaha. i was playing the other day and found the funniest looking move i've ever done. i'd call it an "under the leg airwrap double table top". right hand (for example) goes UTL from the front, left goes UTL from behind, they airwrap and go to "double bicep wrap" around the same-side thigh, but as they're unwrapping, you close your thighs together so they both bounce again off the opposite-side thigh. then you can keep going back and forth - which i'd call a tabletop if it were on my biceps instead of my thighs - bouncing off each thigh, before pulling it back out of the airwrap/wrap either regular or inverse depending on which way they heads bounced last and whether you want to follow the front or btb head out. ubblove that airwrap combo.

-- dut

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
I'll wait for the vid, my brain is dizzy after reading that. smile

I've been working on this goofy 180 buzzsaw hyperloop to turning windmill to turning crosser isolation thingy. It's all basically a weave but the direction keeps changing as you turn.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

Jinxznewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Wow, i have no idea what you lot are on about modt of the time.... i feel like sucha newbie... WERE NOT WORTHY WERE NOT WORTHY....but also good coz it means iv got LOADS more to learn!!! oooh the possibilities...

I THINK iv managed the 5 bt weave but im not sure iv got it right and i manged low turns the other day althoguh was kinda by accident at first (sorta tripped into it- flailing arms= swooshy poi!! wheeeeeeeeeeee)

14 posts

Posted:
Funny inversion hyperloopy thing. Oooooooooh.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
btb weave full turn and continue in reverse. next step, turn into forwards and stay there smile

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: mtbeer

I'll wait for the vid, my brain is dizzy after reading that. smile

I've been working on this goofy 180 buzzsaw hyperloop to turning windmill to turning crosser isolation thingy. It's all basically a weave but the direction keeps changing as you turn.

i'm vid deficient, but i know you'd like it. it's the airwrap+double bicep wrap thingy that i came up with in your presence, only with legs instead of arms and a front/rear entry instead of from the same side (pretty sure that wouldn't work well anyways). i already had all the arm/leg variations and even the arm/neck ones down, so i thought, "why not do it all UTL." wink i guess BTB is next? oh snap.

-- dut

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Nice! can't wait to see it in person.

I finally got a few of the butterfly tangles worked out now! Thanks to Dantana and his great slow-mo vids. Now to get them cleaned up and mixed in...

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Have been working on alot of underleg stuff recently, inclusing hip reely turns, and hyperloops. Pretty stuffs, just need to get it all clean.
Also some new stalls, also pretty, also needing to get clean..

Page: ......