HappyStickermember
42 posts

Posted:
in order to do the corkscrew do you have to have shorter strings in order to do the trick at a decent pace? i am able to do it slowly but when i pick it up a little they start hitting me when going totally horizontal, and if they do need to be shorter, should they be this length normally?

If you had a friend that was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down the street and he just fell over......that would be unacceptable.

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
If you want to do it so you never bring them over your head to the elbow would be a good length. You don't have to spin them like this the whole time though. You can do whatever moves you want to do with them longer, then spin them around your finger till they are as short as you want them and do a cork screw. Do a couple other moves with them short then unwind them again and continue your session. It adds to your performance anyway and is a good segway to show you can use them any way you want to. Good luck and make sure to have fun with it, Like it's possible not to.Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
When you say they are hitting you do you mean youre spinningthem short and they are hitting your forearms andinside of your bicep?Or do you mean when you do them longer to where you have to take it above your head, and it is hitting you in the chest or stomach?You can spin them hellatiously fast. Especially short. Splittime & sametime. Its all in the rythm of the movement. If you are hitting your foreamrs, you can fix this 2 ways. If you keep your amrs still, and or stiff, while doing the movement, you need to bend your wrists more so that the clear you arms. But If you use more of your forearms in the movement along with your wrists, you shouldnt have this problem at all. Instead of holding your arms still and just moving your wrists, move your foreamrs up and down with the movement of the Poi. This also allows you to move with them better. Side to side CS, up and down CS. Its also easier to throw a sawblade in there or to go into a short string weave.If you are doing them long and hitting yourself when yopu try to do them faster, all your doing is breaking your path. Its a hbit that when you speed up, you can get a little bit sloppy with the movement. One or two inch variation can cause you to get thumped. Remember rythym. If your hitting your chest or stomach, then you are probably not dropping your hands down far enoughor bending over enough for them to clear your body."S"------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

HappyStickermember
42 posts

Posted:

If you had a friend that was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down the street and he just fell over......that would be unacceptable.