Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Can anyone tell me what moves go together???

Login/Join to Participate

xLessThanJakexmember
155 posts

Posted:
Hey, can anyone tell me what moves look good together and flow together. I am having great difficulty trying to work thins bit out. Any moves you know would be great.How long did it take any of you lot to get the hang of joining them up? Please Please Please help!!!!!!Fire_Sista

Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
sup Fire Sista?Youll probably get better input on this in the Moves Forum. But ill try to help ya out a little.Basic combinations usually look the best.Weaves, windmills and Corkscrews combo together nicely. Essentially because they are the same movements, just in different planes around the body. Forward to reverse weaves are good. Comboing in and out of weaves, windmills then leaning over and taking it onto a CS is a good 3 moves combination.Practice your low and high waves also. Some pretty amzing combinations can come from low & high waves while turning your body. Waves combo well with Butterflies too. Try turning your body while doing moves. Youll start to find the "sweet Spots" where moves blend into others, most of the time on accident. have fun.Super'------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

xLessThanJakexmember
155 posts

Posted:
Thanks loads Super,that's helped i'm off to try some now.Sista grin

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
email me directly, and ill go into some details."S"

- Mark Twain

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
moving you to Moves...

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
one of my favorite combos:butterflyleg wrap with both into a reverse butterflyinto alternate butterfly combo.turn to the left 90 degrees so your poi are spinning in opposite directionswrap right poi on leg so both are spinning forward and go right into a weave. let me know if you can figure it out ok , if not, email me and i'll try to explain more.happy twirling

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

xLessThanJakexmember
155 posts

Posted:
Thanks girl from mars, i'll try to figure it out i'll let you know how i get alongFire_Sista

xLessThanJakexmember
155 posts

Posted:
Girl from mars thanks, It's going quite well, I'm only having trouble with bits but when i get it I can't stop it looks great thanx a lot.Happy TwirlingFire_sista[This message has been edited by Fire_Sista (edited 27 July 2001).]

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
dont forget reverse BF and waves go very well together"S"

- Mark Twain

xLessThanJakexmember
155 posts

Posted:
Thanks, I want to say u have been a great help to my friend to, she says thanks.Sista

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Okay superman i did pretty good that Weaves, windmills and Corkscrews combo was pretty easy tho, i sometimes use the tuck turn to change from the corkscrew to the weave its pretty fun ;p i also change fromt he windmill from the chasing sun well all those move are similars and its pretty easy to change from one to other with those... well dunno if those are fine combos im just a newbie i guess i really enjoy doing this =) Would be nice if you post more combos here would you? some help would be nice man [This message has been edited by NightShade1 (edited 29 July 2001).]

Dance like if noone were watching you

daskmember
53 posts

Posted:
weave -> windmill -> reverse weave -> reverse windmill ->weave grin 360° grin You can link it to a weave->wndmill->chasing the sun->corkscrewMy third one is butterfly->alternate butterfly -> Overhead BTF(see poi lessons) -> 'Helicopter' BTF (really overhead) -> Reverse BTF -> overhead Reverse BTF ->(Here you have to force a bit) aaannnddd .... Weave !!!I'd like too see more combo here too grinthanks to everyone

o]-[DasK]-[o

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
hey dude cool i could do the second one really easy the one of the weave->wndmill->chasing the sun->corkscrewbut i got a question im new on this i wanna know what you mean with 360degrees? do you mean you a turn with yer body of 360 while you doing it? lol also while i was playing around i did something like was umm low turn>tuck turn>corkcrew>windmill>corkcrew>weave... that was a fun one well at least to me ;pOther question dude how you go from a helicopter(i suppose its an horizontal Butterfly right?) to a reverse weave? the only way i could think doing that is wrapping the pois in my legs and after that the reverse butterflybut i cant figure out how you go from a helicopter to a reverse butterfly =/ just like that without wrapping it in yer legs to change the directions of the pois or something to change the directions ;p[This message has been edited by NightShade1 (edited 31 July 2001).][This message has been edited by NightShade1 (edited 31 July 2001).]

clarkeymember
29 posts

Posted:
Can anyone give me any tips on how to get the helicopter/horizontaL butterfly going, i tried it the other day and was having some trouble. Thanx

The best way to predict the future is to invent it

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
horizontal BF...i think the key to it is speed and also instead of keepint the Up & Down motion, do the BF in split time, and gradually bring your hands together and the motion going from side to side. Other fun combos for newbies...Low turns and high turns back to back 360 degrees.. also go low turn to theleft back to the right then chasing the sun into a tuck turn, then come out into a weave.."S"------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

- Mark Twain

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Just wondering superman... what would be a good combos for experts? winkim a newbie i guess... but i would like to try grini did those ones you said pretty easy [This message has been edited by NightShade1 (edited 03 August 2001).]

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Here's an expert combo for ya... hehstart >> reverse 5-beat weave >> Quad-Windmill >> forward 5-beat weave (14-beat fountain btw) >> btb forward 5-beat weave >> btb reverse 5-beat weave >> endactually, i can't even do this combo but i know someone who can.. though im working on it (btb 5-beats are tough as hell). I don't really look at poi as a set of combos anymore. Once i got good enough, every move went together.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====[This message has been edited by phunky (edited 03 August 2001).]

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
ROfl... i cant even start.... im just starting to learn behind the back weave... (Thats the reverse weave right? or not? ) question dude quad windmill means that the wildmill goes two times in front of you and two times back of you and so on???Also im having problesm with my behind the back weave... omfg.... i alwasy hit my elbow or when i try to do it and also sometimes when i try my poi goes like if i were doing a butterfly in my back instead a weave ppffttt if you got any tip pls post it okay??? i would appreciate tho

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
ya the quad-windmill is 2 spins in front 2 spins behind.hmm, tips for btb-weave. Jo Derry gives some good tips in the move section. But the most important thing that i learned to do before it just "clicked" is to slightly bend forward. Start by dodging the poi's itself actually. And when it "clicks" and you get good you don't even have to move your body, you learn its all in the hands. Good luck.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Jo D. is the fuckig shit! I give him mucho props anytime i hear his name. After watching the COL vid.all i can say is ...damn. Clean ass transitions. Sometimes you dont even see him go Behind his back.I agree with phunky. At somepoint you start bleeding all your moves together, essentially you will end up with just one long set. You know youre getting better when you dont have to do a move for a certain amount of beats before doing another."S"------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

- Mark Twain