Page:
KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Hey fellow fire people, and twirlers alike.As an opinion of an experienced fire twirler, I feel that if you glowiestried fire you wouldn'tgo back. But that's what I get out of this ancient art. I don't expectothers too.Being and avid twirler in general. I twirl a lot. I also twirl glowsticksand normal/uv poi. But I have to admit, it's the fire poi that I like themost and get the most out off. I find the heat from the flames, thebrightness of the gentle orange light wonderful. And the sound, Oh the_sound_ that amazing 'whooosh' that you get as you begin to twirl. Theelement of fear and that slight adrenaline rush you get, when you are doingyour moves. Knowing full well that if you screw any of those moves up,you're possibly in for a burn. Then there's the incredible feeling you get,when you have practised and practised a move without you poi on fire, thenyou finally decide to light up. After warming up, you think ok I am goingto go for it, then when you get that really hard move on fire, you are sowonderfully happy, you get the biggest rush. Then as time wears on, yourflams die and you're out. After taking 5 for a rest you are off again.Gripped in that trance state that fire twirling puts you in. This is justthe tip of the iceberg to what I get out of fire twirling.However, I think what I find, and maybe other firetwirlers do too I am notsure, is when glowstickers post on list how good they are and how manywraps they can do etc. I sit there and think well yeah, that's pretty cool.But I bet you, glow-hot-shot you are not prepared to do that trick on fire.However, don't get me wrong here, I'm not anti-glowsticks. In somesituations I think they are highly appropriate, ie rain, and indoorparties' etc. But the feeling I get from glowsticking is nothing to that offire.Maybe it's a fire snob/elitist attitude. Where I figure if you can't doyour Tricks on fire, don't' bother doing them and especially don't botherbragging how good you are at doing them, till you have tried doing it onfire. I think there are a lot of talented glowstickers out there, and Iwould love to see them do it on fire. If not for their own thrill of usingfire, but for their audiences too as well. They will get to awe inamazement at these tricks you guys are pulling off.I have a question to all you glowers out there are you/ have you tried fireor are you interested in fire twirling at all?And I guess I would like to ask those fellow fire people out there, howthey feel towards this, whether they feel similar to what I do, or if theyhave a different opinion.Thanks for reading my ranting.I look forward to some constructive replies.Love and Light.Katinca

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
Apples and oranges in many ways - or maybe apples and apple pie. Sort of like the difference between cream eyeshadow and powder....

Different scenario, different effect, different feeling. And different fear factor. But both are totally fun.

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
I think that fire poi and glowstringing are just different. For starters, the apparatus are different. (wick vs. glowstick, chain vs. shoelace.)

Someone else mentioned earlier that glowstringers who swing glowsticks as "glowsticks" instead of using them as a "fire substitute" have a different look to them, a different style. They approach this tool differently from the start, and I totally agree.

I think one aspect that hasn't been discussed here is to explore each tool (fire poi & glowstring) deeper. Ask yourself: What can you do with one that you can NOT do with the other? For example, the weight of the poi and chain allows for better isolations. On the other hand, the bounce in shoelaces and the lightness of glowsticks allows for more intricate and complex wrap combos.

While we are on the topics of wraps, I felt that people on this message board look down on wraps because they are "easier to learn" than any poi moves. I do agree with that statement, ONLY if you look at each wrap as an individual move also. Please be open-minded and let me argue for glowstringers for a second (since I am one of those glowstringers who swing glowsticks as "glowsticks" and NOT using them as a "fire substitute.")

Each warp is simple. It is so simple that it allows you to put them together and create something greater... like Voltron or Lego. It allows you to put them together in any way you like - the freedom of combo construction. Once a combo is constructed, you now have a "move" that you can call your own (as opposed to a set of moves such as weave, windmill, etc, for traditional poi.) Maybe it's this sense of achievement, and freedom for creativity of glowstringing that won me over (as compared to fire poi).

Don't get me wrong, no disrespect towards poi here. Poi is fun and great, just like glowstringing, but in a different way. You have to use different tools differently to find the full potential of each.

Last but not least, since I am a firm believer that action speaks more than words, I hope that you would be so kind and take couple minutes to check out a video of mine that I made almost a year ago with an open mind. See if what I just talked about (combo construction, breaking away the stereotypes of glowstring as a "bastardization of poi," and what not) can become more clear and apparent. Thanks!

Click [Old link] to go to my video thread.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
well said wez.

i cant for the sake of being bothered to check back and see if i replied to this topic once.

I think and have seen a lot of us here that i have met and or spoken to use many different toys, many of us prefere different toys, like wez said each and every toy has opportunities that some other toy doesn't in the way of moves.

I dont twirl much, i pick them up once in a while, though more than i used to this past week.

I'm sure we all have toys for all occasions and or carry most of them around with us where ever we go.

My trips to play right now consist of me, my minidisc, 3 juggling clubs, 2 aerotech swinging clubs, 5 stage juggling balls, extra long padded cone poi and 3 juggling rings, a tool kit and my 20" onza trials unicycle. [spare cloths and wash kit if away from home] thats what i take every time i go out, even to the shop for some chocolate i go on my uni, damn its a 30 second walk.

so my point is, there are advantages for all toys, the endless possibilites with each and every one of them. I most certainly think that every one uses more than one set of poi or glow sticks to play with.

i get too bored with the same old toy, my mind wonders onto the next toy in my bag, probably why i dont poi much any more and more into unicycles and juggling, but i still go back and learn, just take a breather between learning some thing with each toy.

one last thing, i find that a 5 min burn just isnt the same as getting into the groove of a sick tune with some thing that you can use with out having to relight every 5 mins. Glow or just some thing to play with. In my experience of performing, the impact of fire is good to those watching but then its over.... if its visable and lasts longer and people are still watching then thats even better, you then feel you have hit the groove.... the poi/glowsicks what ever then become the extensions of your arms and you get carried away and just twirl doing what ever moves / patterns you want.

did that make any sense?

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
I think the 'looking down' on that glowstringers feel from fire people can be best summed up by mebbe comparing the way a biker(ridden for years, built/modded his own harley, rides with his local club/chapter) looks at the guy that pulls up beside him with a honda scooter. Is he going to take him seriously? Probly not..I don't think it's anything personal, just a bad generalization.

I think you've been through more as a fire spinner, it's kind of hard to explain. Not to mention there _is_ an added technical element to spinning fire. I'll spin glowy stuff, fire, socks, parrots myself, but I get more satisfaction from fire, esp being able to pull off the same moves on fire as I can using socks or glowy stuff.

sorry... flame away wink

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I think the 'looking down' on that glowstringers feel from fire people can be best summed up by mebbe comparing the way a biker(ridden for years, built/modded his own harley, rides with his local club/chapter) looks at the guy that pulls up beside him with a honda scooter. Is he going to take him seriously? Probly not..I don't think it's anything personal, just a bad generalization.

I think you've been through more as a fire spinner, it's kind of hard to explain. Not to mention there _is_ an added technical element to spinning fire. I'll spin glowy stuff, fire, socks, parrots myself, but I get more satisfaction from fire, esp being able to pull off the same moves on fire as I can using socks or glowy stuff.

sorry... flame away wink

The example does seem a little biased, maybe implying that fire is harder to learn?

Not sure what you mean by the added technical element to fire either.

I don't glowstring myself, but I've got a lot of respect for the art.The first time I saw decent glowstringing I was blown away, not just by the speed and technical proficiency but because it was so completely different a style to any other spinning I'd seen.

I've spent a lot of time improving my spinning, and working on fairly advanced stuff like releases, one handed moves etc, but I've got to admit that one of the reasons I don't pursue glow stringing is because it's really difficult, and I get impatient with the tangles.

As for fire, I find it pretty straightforward, much easier than most of the stuff I'm working on with non fire. I'll always do fire stuff occasionally, but more for the feel and spirit of it.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Quote:

The example does seem a little biased, maybe implying that fire is harder to learn?

Not sure what you mean by the added technical element to fire either.

I'd say the added danger is the additional technical element of fire. You have to be more precise with your moves, in some cases learn them all over again, either learning them correctly, or in a way that isn't going to harm you. It's still just different mediums of the same art form, but fire is a living element, you have to have respect for it, or else it will turn on you. I can't even say it's the most dangerous medium of the art form, cuz sure enough, someone will start spinning bladed sticks of dynamite, and look down on all of us wussy fire spinners. But yeh, I am really biased, I'll admit it. If I meet a really technical spinner who only uses glow/sox, I won't respect them as much if they haven't taken that leap, it is easier to learn/spin with something that doesn't bite back if you mess up. Mebbe it's because I'm a performer, mebbe it's cuz I have too much testoterone, I dunno, again it's just me. Cuz usually, yeh I could do that with sox, I am the f00kin MAN with soxx, but I don't consider it mastered until I've done it with fire. I can't spin glo stixx anymore now, it's been too long, I'm used to heavier stuff, much heavier..Tho one of these days I wanna go to a party with like some 12 stixx string n give it a go, wonder how many ppl will walk into those twice that night hmm? N any stringers on the board, stick around, love the art form, that's what we're really all here for anyways rite? I'm definitely not bashing, cept for mebbe those 'battles', wassup w that? I meet a spinner who's good, I wanna sit down, chill with em, have a smoke, have a steak, trade secrets, because usually they're MY people..Not try n tear em down, shame em, blah blah blah so I can mebbe walk with my head a little higher that night. f00k that

kiss

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I have to agree - I had no respect for glow twirlers specifically because of this battling stuff. Then I met Pozee (where are you now Pozee!?) and Myst (wotup mate!) in person and saw the crazy stuff they could do, and heard about how they felt about it, and now I have respect for the art. Although I have to say, a breakdance battle is wellwicked! smile)

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Don't know about In other countries but in the UK Poi has had a real hard time getting the respect that it deserves from other forms of object manipulation. Mainly because it's got quite a low entry level and people seemed to make the leap that if it starts easy it must all be easy. This of course is a big pile of poo, it's not about about how high or low the entry level is it's about where you can take it to.

anyway back onto the subject in my opinion all object manipulation give the same basic pleasure Juggling, hats, Poi, glowstringing... and if you deny one the respect it deserves then you just deny yourself the pleasure you could get from it (this is starting to sound extremely sexual biggrin)

so i come to my point, how can you argue about which ones better (especially in light of how poi has been treated). They all have their place and all should be treated as equal partners peace

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I agree T & B.

Glowstick and Fire are two seperate arts really, there are so many things that you can do with glowstick that you could never do with fire, and vise-versa. Everyone should have respect for the other regardless.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Don't knock the scooter crowd. I saw a whole scooter posse in NYC recently and they looked pretty friggin tough. Maybe they have Harleys on the side but still. Like glowstringers, not to be underestimated.

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

certifiedloonSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
Really interesting thread, I've been here a while reading and thinking...

I spin stix mainly because of ease - no mess/smell, no need to carry fuel, they're smaller, less dangerous etc etc. I just find it really difficult to get the time/space/permission etc to get going with fire, whereas sticks are just convinient.

However, I would have to agree that the experience of fire spinning is infinately more intense, for the audience and the spinner. The noise, the heat, and the earthy natural-ness of it.

I'm definately not as eloquent as some of the posters on this thread but I just wanted to have my say smile

Peace to anyone spinning anything anywhere! smile

29 posts

Posted:
Just read glowshow's post... wow.

I was just being practical really but your post really hit the spot spiritually. Its all about how it makes you feel, no matter what medium.

I definately agree with not being able to see yourself so it doesn't matter smile

And kind of on the subject of spinning random objects like rotten fruit, I was so tempted at Christmas to get some big ol' sparkly baubles to spin.... would that work or am I just silly?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I was so tempted at Christmas to get some big ol' sparkly baubles to spin.... would that work or am I just silly?

no not silly at all, just showing the typical symptoms of an obsessessd spinner tongue

There is a thread out there somewhere about spinning random objects..... biggrin

29 posts

Posted:
Quote:

no not silly at all, just showing the typical symptoms of an obsessessd spinner tongue

I'm obsessed? Really?? Cool! ubbloco

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Don't know about In other countries but in the UK Poi has had a real hard time getting the respect that it deserves from other forms of object manipulation. Mainly because it's got quite a low entry level and people seemed to make the leap that if it starts easy it must all be easy. This of course is a big pile of poo, it's not about about how high or low the entry level is it's about where you can take it to.

anyway back onto the subject in my opinion all object manipulation give the same basic pleasure Juggling, hats, Poi, glowstringing... and if you deny one the respect it deserves then you just deny yourself the pleasure you could get from it (this is starting to sound extremely sexual biggrin)

so i come to my point, how can you argue about which ones better (especially in light of how poi has been treated). They all have their place and all should be treated as equal partners peace

i've used part of tims reply to start a new thread on [Old link] , but here are my 7.865 cents on this topic:

they are different. and deserve as much respect as each other for their differences. just because fire is more dangerous doen't mean the learning curve for glowstringing was any easier.
musashii i truly don't beleive that the added danger of fire makes it any harder to learn. thats a fear step, not a technical step. if anything i think fire is easier than truly high quality glostringing.(so says a lapsed fire dancer, now a sock manipulator ubblol)

different toys. different styles. how can that be a bad thing? confused one is not superior to the other.

variety is the spice of life and all wink

smiles
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Page: