Forums > Social Chat > Frozen food , goodbye forever!

Login/Join to Participate

StebbinsBRONZE Member
10th degree spoon weilder
171 posts

Posted:
Ok Im 24 and live alone. My diet consists of frozen chicken fingers,french fries, hamburgers,etc and I'm frigging sick of IT! So that's it! From now on I'm cooking real food! ......?!?! Oh ya I forgot. I don't have two clues when it comes to making stuff. I tried mixing noodles, tuna and tobasco sauce together and let us just say it was not tasty I called it "Revenge of the Sea" So this is a plea of sorts to all those out there who seem to have this inner sence of tastyness. Please help me .. .. For those who give any good advice I will one day make a real yummy meal for and mail it to them.

-Beeaaatch please, I'm the macaroni with the cheese.
-This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Hey, I've been there, this my help...

Enjoy...

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

ViciousVixenmember
103 posts

Posted:
There are other frozen foods that are more tasty and healthy than those you have given up. I'm fond of Skillet Sensations and Chicken Voila(frozen pasta, veggies, and chicken mixtures you can microwave), frozen pre-marinated chicken breasts, and frozen chicken suisse or cordon bleu or kiev. There's a lot more to the frozen foods section than fries and chicken fingers.

I also make spaghetti a lot. Boiling noodles and then mixing them with jar sauce is pretty easy.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
The closest I get to cooking is making toast or an occasional omellete.

Sandwiches are good and can be really healthy if you use raw veg, herbs etc; or they can be less healthy but tasty with cheese crisps etc.

Fruit is good.

I'm not knocking cooking, but many people seem to feel that if they're not eating at least one cooked meal a day then they're going to get ill, which isn't true.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

zwitterionSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
yes! i went thru a "need... food but.. so lazy..." thing a while back; here's what i found i could be bothered making (really basically), and subsequently make up the staples of my diet:

pasta!! for added realism, chop up some of the veggies you see on the sauce label and stick in pot with sauce for an hour or so. helps if onions and garlic are fried in pot first too.

baked potatos! vegetables of love, if you can operate a grater you can make coleslaw, and along with cheese and sour cream and butter these are awesome

black bean soup! any soup just involves throwing stuff in a pot and boiling for ages. this level of maintenance appeals to me. black bean soup is particularly yummy, can be made with minimal ingredients and there are tonnes of recipes out there for it.

and lastly: stir fry! a bit more complicated but the masses of kick arse sauces and infusions available from teh supermarket shelf cover my culinary incompetence well. also, directions almost always come on the packet. yay!

anyway, there's a few ideas.

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
hm i'm not much of a cook myself cause the stove doesnt like me but i watch my mom all the time and know exactly how to do it... just add butter lol. just about anything taste worlds better with some butter and a little bit of sugar. oh and chicken is probably the easiest thing to cook up , when you do, add one of these things. chunks of pineapple, because pineapple is a natural tenderizer so you'll get really really tender chicken yum yum plus fantastic flavor, with some zukeni (or however you spell that), tomatoe SKINS , and rice. after you put the pineapple in with it squeeze a lime over the whole thing once its on the plate and it adds a most peculiar bounce. it works for all sorts of food but i find pineapple , zukeni and some tomatoe skins makes everything fantastic. anyways, moving on

In order to achieve what most people cant, you must do what most people wont

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
just to make it clear, BROWN RICE

In order to achieve what most people cant, you must do what most people wont

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
SPAG BOL... the easiest dish in the world... I swear... mince, veges, sauce and then chuck them all in together to cook with an onion and garlic and some ginger and tadah!!!!! ohhhh thats good squishy

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
if you're gonna do rice remember
1/2 cup rice to 1 1/3 water that'll be enough for 2 people but i usually eat it all my self. umm oh and alway cover it then all the water doesnt evaporate. oh and try cooking it in coconut milk yummy!! and if you do do to much put the left over in the fridge and then the next day fry it up with veg etc add some soy sauce et vola fried rice

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Try for a week just eating non-processed stuff; if it has more than one ingredient on the packet then don't cook it. Not only does everything taste so much better not covered in salt and suger but your body really feels the difference. Cooking is one of the great joys in life once you know how to treat a vegetable right.

The modern supermarket is a paean to processed crap, the less we buy, the better.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

StebbinsBRONZE Member
171 posts

Posted:
This is awesome guys! Thanks for all the really great ideas I printed this off and am now trying make that black bean soup. Im also a big fan of standing back and letting time and heat do all the work Well anyway dont stop there... Keep them coming. Im finding this very helpful.

PS. NO! NO! NO! I will never make anything with rice in it ever again. I live in Korea remember. I sometimes have nightmares where Rice Monsters are chaseing me throught the streets of Ricevile shooting rice lazer beams at me from there eyes.

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
didn't realise you freared the rice, sorry for bringing up any traumatic memories!!

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I turned veggie a short while back and found that it made cooking a mile and a half easier! There are so many recipies that take just a few seconds to cook cuz you don't have to bother with the meat.
And try ommlettes, Delia (oh how we love you Mrs Smith) tought me to cook them, it takes about 2 minutes if you're going slow and you can chuck anything you like into them, it always works well!!

Good luck on the real cooking, I'm sure you'll never miss the frozen nasties! And now you'll have extra space in your freezer for bottles of Vodka! mmmmmm.....vodka......

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Oh and I meant to say, if you want cheap recipie books go to a charity shop, they always have a few and never get outdated!!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
you're forgetting about frozen pizzas!?!

because I never knew when I was going to cook or eat out, I still just buy alot of frozen chicken n veggies. I can bake the chikkin, n boil the veggies, make stir fry or get some alfredo sauce, cook the chikkin, pour the alfredo sauce over the chicken, boil angel hair pasta, boil frozen veggies in with the noodles, then combine You can buy a complete boxed set for phad thai thats not bad.

O yeh, if you're still wanting to make a better version of revenge of the sea, try combining tuna and frozen veggies in with some Pasta Roni(assumin you have that in korea), n if you use white tuna you don't get as much of a fishy taste.

You could always make your own kimchi too, no cooking needed

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

StebbinsBRONZE Member
171 posts

Posted:
Hell ya, Kimchi 4 life I love that stuff.
I don't think I will ever really give up the frozen pizza though. It will always be there right next to my bottles of vodka. In Korea however pizza sucks!!!! Know what they put on it? Corn and Potatos!!!!!!! Come on now. I know potatos are the HOP veggi of love but on pizza get real.

mmmmmmm vodka..........

firedancingfairyenthusiast
201 posts

Posted:
I love cooking so I'd love to share this quick and easy one with you . I'm vegan and I don't eat gluten, so I personally use rice or corn pasta instead of wheat pasta... but you can just have normal pasta if you want!

1. Boil the pasta until tender. You'll know if it's cooked or not by tasting or looking at it. Drain it, and let it sit while you...

2. Fry in olive oil in a fry pan garlic, onion, mushrooms and chilli (the last two are optional).

3. When these things are cooked and you can smell their luscious aroma, add whatever veges you want (eg eggplant, zucchini, carrot) and fry them for a little while as well, and then get a a small bottle of pasta sauce with some yummy things in it like sun dried tomatoes or olives and pour than on top of all the veges and things in your fry pan.

4. Stir lots until everything mixed together, and then add pasta and stir everything until pasta is covered in the sauce. Let it all heat up together for a minute or so. You can do all this in the one fry pan!

VOILA!

It's pretty quick and easy and tastes great! Enjoy, and you'll feel so much better and full of life if you eat beyond the freezer... cos fresh is best! All the best of luck.

1,148 posts

Posted:
that made my morning... koreans, corn n potatoes?? Whats next? chow n banana pizza? speakin of which, are you in north korea or south korea? I kno s korea banned canned dog in stores a while back, whats the weirdest thing you've seen in the supermarkets ovah there?

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

StebbinsBRONZE Member
171 posts

Posted:
I live in the south... Ya there are some pretty WACKED things in the super markets here... stuff like squid, eyeballs of some poor creature, testicals of noot etc. You can't get dog at supermarkets but you can at most resturants.. I did try the dog. The whole time I though what the hell am i doing but when you think about it its just meat.. Like why is it so wronge to eat dog but yet its cool chow down on old milly the cow??
Anyway Im open minded and gave it a try but I dont think I will ever eat it again..

(#1 hit single)
Who ate the dog meat
stebb's.. stebb's.. stebb's stebb's.. stebbins

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
what is a 'noot'??

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

zwitterionSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
lol i love asian supermarkets! most unpleasant packaged product i every saw while i was living in cambodia was dried pig skin. i don't know what exactly it goes in, nor do i want to in case i ate it >_<

StebbinsBRONZE Member
171 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Dentrassi:
what is a 'noot'??
I'm not sure myself man.. I just heard it on Monty Python, quest for the holy grail

"She is a witch. She turned me into a noot. .........I got better"

Bobo DCLmember
141 posts

Posted:
Um, I thought it was newt... Like the little lizardy thing. O.o'

I like orange.And don't take my cookies.

1,148 posts

Posted:
same thing

Ars Pyronomica