RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Does anyone remember my double staffs called Black and Blue? I made them about a year ago, some very short but very nice doubles with massive wicks.

I practiced a lot with them unlit, and discovered I could do some fun things, like spinning them on the back of my hands and stuff. However I rarely lit them, and never properly used them lit.

Just recently I lit them and used them as doubles for the first time. It was waaaaaay too much flame for me. They were burning really high, and were so short that when you did a normal figure of eight, they singed the hair on your hands. They were hurty.

There has been a really gifted firespinner who has been coming along to Glebe spinning. A guy who seems to have no fear when it comes to flame. I made an on the spot decision, and gave them to him that night.

Last night I was back at spinning, and I knew I had made the right decision. He had made covers for black and blue, had devised a way of protecting his hands when he used them, and had already thought of a couple of new moves, using them like devil sticks. Black and Blue had found a new home, and they were well loved and very happy. He will do them far more justice than I ever would.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
You did the right thing. And hopefully he'll pay it forward someday.

Wonderful to see people out there adding to the light in the universe.

E pluribus unum, baby.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
quote:
A guy who seems to have no fear when it comes to flame
as was apparent when he continued to spin for several seconds despite his hair catching on fire.

you should have seen him after you gave the doubles to him - he was like a little kids whos been given a present by santa!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
That is such a great thing to do. You've spread a little happiness further into the world. Nice one, have a beer on me.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i dont know if you giys have heard/seen of Onewheelsdaves hammer head poi, they are a set of Led's and battery packs and a swich that are placed inside a sock, elstic banded in pace and WORK REALLY WELL as glow poi, and look soooo good, anyways i made a doudle light set (two lights in each sock a red and a yellow sourse), and spun with them, i was in love...........

but then i met PK and Nat and she had a go, and loved them to, so i told her she could keep them ,and she has, i hope they make her happy, i only span wit hthem once, but i know how i can make my next set better so i aint bitter!

later days guys

Dan ill show you how to make them when i come and vistit you, they are really cool and easy!

Step (el-nombrie)

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
I thought it was a beautiful gesture, and Nancy absolutely loved them, if it makes someone that happy its well worth losing them

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Toys are the best presents to give especially if you made them yourself and it doesn't have to be a spinny person you can give 'em to either.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I was hopeing this thread was you giveing away a staff to whoever put together the best pleading post.

Now im just going to cry... violently.

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
me too, but im so touched Rozi, thats sooo sweet of you!!!

i would be heart broken to lose my poi, let alone give them away.

you are truely gorgeous hunny

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Hello Rozi!
Making a present of your toys is indeed a lovely thing to do

Captain HazzardBRONZE Member
Ninja (shhhh, don't tell)
420 posts

Posted:
it is indeed a fantastic thing to do.
at the recent cornish meet i was given a flail by flailboy/jericho. its the coolest gift and has inspired me so much. i'm now making my own so i can return his next time we meet, along with some new tricks hopefully!

I only wanted to be 16... and free

Cagemember
174 posts

Posted:
Indeed, you are a truly beautiful person! My friend came to visit me last winter as he moved to Australia from Wisconsin. He couldn't understand how I spun with such short poi so before he left, he made me a new set with long cables. I was so happy. The fact that he made them especially for me made them as precious as gold. He also happened to be the friend that first introduced me to poi after backpacking Europe. You can't beat friends like that!

peace & luv
.:~* cage *~:.

Without further guilding the lily and with no more ado, I bid you farewell and sweet dreams...

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I just realised that I am in fact continuing a great tradition in my life. Someone here reminded me of this lovely tall brit who came to visit. He had long long blonde hair, grace, style, panache, and a set of flags to die for. This lovely man gave me the set of flags when he left (along with a polar fleece jumper which he left behind, and I reckon looks great on me). He also gave me ideas on poi making from across the world.

Thanks Dom. My spinning improved tenfold from spending time with you and with Cass. And I got to meet you as well which was just bliss, Mr Balloon-umbrella-man!!!

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
all the guys seem to throw there polar fleeces at you dont they?

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.