Forums > Social Chat > Red Dwarf..How long ago???

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
How long ago was it when Red Dwarf was canceled in the UK? Does anyone know how many years /seasons it was on. Anyone can say what they want about that show, but i think it was funny as hell!

Power percieved is power achieved.

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
i personally don't think you should be asking these type of questions. you don't have any chance of knowing the answers!!! you americans would be better off trying to find scotland on an unmarked map, these are the important things, not this self indulgant rubbish.

gee i hope that didn't come out wrong

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
I do believe this is a social disscusion forum. is there any stipulation that anything i ask here has to be in realtion to fire arts? I believe the thread you are refering to has nothing to do with fire arts, therefore if i wish to ask a self indulgent question about a comedy series i used to enjoy, i will do so, unless otherwise told i am violating a stipulation on this forum. sorry if i aggrivated you by my previous post, but i do not think that the stereotype directed towards americans is true. i could make many hasty generalizations and stereotypes towards those who live in a different countries just because i believe every bit of gossip i hear about its inhabitants, but i know that everything i hear is not true and i know it is wrong to steretype and label others based on anything.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i was also under the impression that a social forum meant anything could be discussed...but i dont want to enter into that argument.

i think red dwarf ran for 8 seasons. i dont know why it was cancelled, but yes, i used to love it too! i have a few series on video and i hope to get the dvd! i loved cat! how about u?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Itsgottab:
i personally don't think you should be asking these type of questions. you don't have any chance of knowing the answers!!! you americans would be better off trying to find scotland on an unmarked map, these are the important things, not this self indulgant rubbish.

gee i hope that didn't come out wrong

Maybe its cause I'm Canadian and can find Scotland on a map that I noted the tongue in cheek sarcasm?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i think the last series was done 99-2000 due to i can rember watching it and im sure i was only in the first year of sixth form.....

it was the crappy one were theyu make it back to th e drawf and thats about it.......

they may be making a movie soon, they are releasing the DVD's @ the mo

Step (el-nombrie)

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Just lifted this from the official website:

"Doug Naylor was quoted in a recent interview as saying that the future of the TV show relates to Red Dwarf's cinematic release. A series will not happen until the movie is complete, and should the film prove a success, more are possible.
There is always the possibility of a ninth series, however; or TV specials. The Rimmer/Death cliffhanger could also be resolved in other media - but until the film is complete, no specific plans can be made."

However, Robert Llewellyn apparently has said that there will be no ninth series, whereas Danny John Jules seems quite positive about there being a maybe.

Maybe it's entered that stalled time that Spaced Series 3 is in: there's people thinking about maybe doing it, if they could only be bothered.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
it was 8 seasons the first 6were grouped more closely together then 7 and 8 more recently.
there are high rumers about a film coming and a talk with robert lewellen kind of confirmed that (he was vague).
oh and i am a fan...

space corps directive 34124?? no officer with false teeth should attempt oral sex in zero gravity?

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
If only there was some sort of 'guide' to the 'episodes' held in a 'base' of 'data' on some sort of 'inter' connected 'network' of computers.

Then you might be able to easily find out the answer.

Magnus... pay it forward

siliconslavemember
36 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Magnus:
If only there was some sort of 'guide' to the 'episodes' held in a 'base' of 'data' on some sort of 'inter' connected 'network' of computers.
man - that inter connected network thing would kick ass, you could have all sorts of useless infomation on it, but i guess in the end it would just boil down to a load of ppl talking about rubish and lookin at dirty pics

The Dwarf kicks ass - spend a good chunk of last year finding and watching old vids that me and me mates had - and yer the last series sucked ass, as did the american version they did. Film sounds good - it if ever happens, as does spaces series 3 (pleeeeeeze do it!!)

FlamingMonkeymember
50 posts

Posted:
You see there is a problem with all tv series - they get old. the longer a tv series goes on the shitter it becomes, the more awkard it becomes and the more formulaeic (i can't spell) it becomes. Red Dwarf is a prime example, as is Friends. At first it is a genuinely good idea that drives the production, closely followed by the innovative talent working on it. but as a show becomes successful, the more money is chucked at it, which leads it to be more mainstream which results in a storyline editor and a bunch of twenty-something guys in glasses writing one-liners.

A second problem which stems from the first is that for a show to continue for series after series it needs to have storylines that run for shows and shows (a good example of this is the run up towards the end of the second series of The West Wing - Bartlett's illness). Thus the programme begins to resist narrative closure and become soap opera in character. Which takes away the original ideas that inspire whole episodes in earlier series.

The best series of Red Dwarf is the first. The best series of Spaced is the first.

And so we are stuck in the dichotomy of wanting to see more of the shows we love, but knowing that it's not going to be as good as the original.

Sorry about the spelling in this random diatribe.

shit i'm starting to sound like ****ing Dawson.

Jack.

Monkey see, Monkey do...

caniffisSILVER Member
60 posts

Posted:
Red Dwarf was and is a prime example of british comedy and sci fi briliance (carn't speel either)! the good news to all those who like it is that there is a film now being filmed in New Zealand aparently, the budget is about 10million which for a brittish film is alot!
problems for it have been the charactures working on other projects including the tomb raider films and the fact that getting the money has been hard! also the americans bought the rights to it and tried to cast yanks in a copy of it for a film.... yes you can guess it did not quite have the same feel and so they eventually got back to the origanal cast.
the film should be out beginning of 2005!

What you don't know won't hurt you? well i intend to get to know as much as possible so that i can make sure no one else has to so they carn't get hurt.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Yay for the dwarf!!!

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
I'm not convinced that the First Red Dwarf series was "the best". There were several good series, Series 5 and 6 really rocked, as did Series 3, and obviously Series 1. They were all quite different in style, and all equally good. The (widely regarded) best episode was the one with "Duane Dibley" and the Despair Squid, and that's in quite a late series.

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Red Dwarf is the best!

I personnaly like the first and second series the best. My fav episode being backwards! I have a "smeg up" video for the first 3 series and i love what the bar tender says when he's having a go at Rimmer!

I love the books too. Although i'm trying everywhere to find Backwards and the last human.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

siliconslavemember
36 posts

Posted:
Pink i've got a copy of backwards lieing around - proberbly not to be read again so if you wanna send be some pennies for postage i'll get it over to ya - drop me a mail and we can sort it out if your interested
addy is: sam(at)siliconslave(dot)co(dot)uk

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
its a white hole!
there is also a book (that i was sad enough to buy) that has all the info... red dwarf programme guide

... its a white hole

its a white hole.... just kidding

oh and my fave character is mr flibble!

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
Red Dwarf is like Christmas. when your younger, when its all new and exciting, theres never a doubt that it'll turn out bad, be distroyed by the world and people who are just trying to use it for money....

then you find out its all a great big lie because it suddenly its all about computer graphics instead of puppets (WHAT... where they thinking when they did that?)

i miss red dwarf....

any one ever get into a tv show called Lexx... first series.. damm fine.. second.. amasing.. third.. hmm.. not too sure.. forth.. didn't want to lose faith in it, so never watched it.. aparently its rather poor.. good thing they finished it before they could brutilise it fully...

i hate TV execs....

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
Whats the only thing that'll kill a muton vindaloo.....LAGER!!!!!! the polymorph episode is definetly a classic in my book! I also agree with everyone who thinks the episode with the despare squid is one of the best!!! Oh no what happened to my teeth?? MY name is DUANE...DUANE DIBLEY!?!?!? Does anyone know which episode that is where Duane makes another appearance??? I forget which one it is but somehow the Cat definetly turns back into Duane.
I miss Red Dwarf.. im going to seek series 1,3,5,6 on DVD. I wish it was still aired in the states though.....

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:

I remember Red Dwarf! I would stay up late and watch it with my dad! (But they were all reruns, I bet, 'cause it takes time for these things to get all the way to Canada...) The one I remember the very best was 'sdrawkcaB'.... and I'll still laugh at things I'll remember from certain episodes. And then have to explain to my friends why I randomly burst into laughter. And, of course, they -still- wouldn't understand what was so funny.

Just thought you'd all like to know that.... um... what -did- I come in here for? ... *makes up something on he spot* That the younger generation still remembers Red Dwarf! At least, one of them does... Yes, of course that's what I wanted to tell you all... *ducks head and slinks out*

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
My brother was a huge fan of the show so when I was younger I'd watch it with him. Up until I recently saw some of it again I never found it too funny, I guess it was because I was so small and stupid!^-^
My favorite quote is when the cat is eating and bats hit chicken off the plate onto the floor
"Too slow, chicken merrengo!Too slow for this cat!"
"Hmmm, that chicken merrengo was faster than I thought..."

P*L*U*R

FlamingMonkeymember
50 posts

Posted:
Speaking as someone who has watched the first six series and the smeg ups/outs collection many many many times, the first series is the only one i can guarantee i'll choose the first series over the others.

The problem is that the name of the game is sit-com, situation comedy, the longing it goes the more focused on the comedy as opposed to the situation, hence the shift to the starbug for series six.

Monkey see, Monkey do...

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
pink i have smeg ups and smeg outs two
swop ya

only ever read the first book

but watched most of the episodes when i could sneek it
last was good but was not a good as the early ones where they had less mony to put into production

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
heh and someone in another thread was wondering where i got my name from

mr flibble is one of the best characters in it

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
i got a red dwarf 1996 diary thing off the market , it's cool

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
I REMEMBER THAT SHOW!!!

My bros and I used to stay up til midnight when it came on and watched it! I liked the Cat also! I havn't been able to watch it anymore because of work/classes and not being able to find out when it comes on. Don't know if it still airs on TV or not.

There was another show I loved to watch. Anybody ever hear of the Red Green show? I loved how Red would use Duck Tape for EVERYTHING and would make silly contraptions out of stuff. I need to find out if that still airs on TV or not also.

Man, there are alot of shows I loved to watch that I miss watching. Like Are You Being Served and Keeping Up Appearances.

I hope I can find Red Dwarf on DVD and I will so buy it and watch it over and over

Yeah, yeah I have no life, I know

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
thanks to the wonders of modern technology... (Kazaa) i own every single episode of red dwarf..ever..

series 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
the smeg ups
cant smeg, wont smeg
Universe Challenge
etc

to be perfectly honest, i think my favourite episodes were the later ones, ie series 7 and 8 because they were just funnier.

Dwane Dibley is in 2 episodes of red dwarf..

Back to reality
Cant Smeg, Wont smeg.

which episode is Mr.Flibble in?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Mr.Flibble was in the episode in series 5 episode 4 titled "Quarantine".

Hope that helps Jon.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Oh yeh..cheers Jon.

You sure are one great, clever, witty and goddam sexy person.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yeh...suppose I am..

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Oh dear Jon is talking to himself

What was that about the backwards book siliconslave?

Alice

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Page: