Forums > Social Chat > hunting unwanted mice...

Login/Join to Participate

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
spotted two mice scuttling along the corridoor of my friends flat (where I am currently staying). I manically chased them with a carving knife for a while before they ran behind the washing machine- somewhere impossible to get at.
Thought about using them for rodent poi like c@ntus suggested in another thread, but need to catch them first...
how do I do this?
and what do I do to the little b******s when i do get them???
anyone with any experience... help!

PS dont really want to kill them but will if they keep nibbling on food left out by mistake in the kitchen.

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

birdgirlBRONZE Member
48 posts

Posted:
leave a party invite at their mouse hole,(mice cant resist a good knees up)and when they arrive sell them a time share in spain,off they go to sunnier climes,happy and there you go happy mouse free house.
just a thought!

spig--------Its not big and its not clever.

birdgirlBRONZE Member
48 posts

Posted:
leave a party invite at their mouse hole,(mice cant resist a good knees up)and when they arrive sell them a time share in spain,off they go to sunnier climes,happy and there you go happy mouse free house.
just a thought!

spig--------Its not big and its not clever.

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
Oh blimey - strange coincidence. Our house is currently under mouse-attack too! Last night I walked into the kitchen to find one sitting on the stove, and another on the microwave. I think we freaked each other out, because I just stood there staring at them, and they did exactly the same - before scurrying away.

So we don't really want to kill them - but what else can we do?? If only the household pet snake hadn't died.

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Why don't you just leave them?

In houses I've lived in in the past that've had mouse appearances it's just been the case of the odd vibe when they turn up.

They never seem to do any harm whatsoever, why are they so despised?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
hhhmmm... mice

TheSilverShadowBRONZE Member
Uncle Chop Chop
213 posts

Posted:
You can buy friendly mouse traps, it's basically a tube, the first half is flat then it gradually slants at an angl.
the food is put in the mice think mmmm food go for a look inside they get to the food the door closes and they cant get out then you have them trapped to make a lovely pair of mouse poi.

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Firstly you have to throw away all the food that's open/attacked... mice urinate as they run, not good on your food! I'd wash the crockery too.

Until you catch them, I've been told that dabbing peppermint oil around the places where you keep your food can help keep them away (the smell is offensive to them), never tried it myself but worth a try?

Trap-wise, I'm pretty sure the RSPCA gives out humane traps on loan if you ask them nicely

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
thinking i might well sell them a time-share thing in madrid... I´m sure they´d get along fantastically with one of my cats (seriously, he is so lazy he would probably find them more amusing than anything else), unfortunately my other kitty would see them as a great opportunity to practice her football and eating skills...

cheers for the advice so far.
The mice are safe so long as they stay out of the reach of a 20cm kitchen knife! mwahahaha!

So live it.

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
We had a mouse that would show up from time to time when I was little. Our three cats did dick all about it so we just gave up, named him Humphrey and thought it was fantastic whenever he decided to visit!^-^

P*L*U*R

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
EXTRA!!! EXTRA!!!
TRAGEDY STRIKES ONE OF KOB´S MICE!!!

arrived home yesterday to find one of the mice dead in the hall...

not too sure I fancy dead mouse poi... they might start to fall apart everywhere!
maybe it ate some of my food? I know most people wouldn't survive it, poor little thing, must have had a bellyache for hours before kicking the bucket.
big awwwww... poor thing, gone to the big holey cheese in the sky.

So live it.

caniffisSILVER Member
60 posts

Posted:
most likly dead mouse was ill and died of it! mice are very seriouse problem, just because you don't see the damage does not mean its not there!
they do hord food in the walls which can rot and will eat through cables and even pipes if given the chance. get a cat from a charity that has a panchant for them and clean up after yourself a bit more!
otherwise you may be woken up by a mouse cralling into your mouth at night like my friend had happen to her!!!

What you don't know won't hurt you? well i intend to get to know as much as possible so that i can make sure no one else has to so they carn't get hurt.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
You really dont know how much I would LOVE to get a kitty, unfortunately I'm staying in a friends flat at the mo with only two weeks left here, and I think her contract states(as many do) that pets are forbidden...

I want a cat!

So live it.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I misread the thread title and thought it said "Hunting mice wanted"

So i rushed in hoping to sell my matched pair of ivory handled hunting mice.

But to no avail.

note to self: learn to read properly.

Meh

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
My Option 1 would be: Get a cat.

Seeing as that's not feasible, I'd go for Option 2: One of those mousetraps they were talking about- the ones that catch the mousies live. Or, if you're quick enough, grab a plastic bag, put it on your hand like a glove and grab the mouse. Turn the bag inside out while you hold the mouse (so then you've got the bag with the mouse inside, and you haven't actually touched the dirty little rodent) and then you can carry it outside and let it free to find somewhere else to live.

This isn't as impossible as it sounds... If you can trap the mice behind something it's easy enough to snag them if they don't crawl away first. Seeing as we have three cats we get mice running around all the time, of course, so I've got experience with this...

Now, if they still don't go away (...they might be breeding hordes of baby mice in your walls... *images hordes of mice marching in an effort to take over the world*) you might have to go for the kind of mousetrap that kills it... But I definitely suggest you not do this unless you really really have to.

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
kill em.

dont feel sorry, theres hundreds of the buggers.

if you got a 'no pets' thing, well its your landloards duty to provide pest contole.

t

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
named the other one Blaine &am leaving it to do what it pleases, after all my flat is pretty much a box, its boring and theres naught but water to drink!!!

plus I cant be bothered to hunt it down (if there's only one it cant breed right? unless its suddenly become a hemaphrodite)

So live it.