This is a simple easy to make Maori Practice Poi.
To make you will require :
- Newspaper or Tennis Balls
- Colour paper or fabric,
- And Scissors
1. The cords should be about 800mm long, so you can also tie around the paper ball.
2. # You can if you wish plait different coloured wool together to make a nicer looking Poi
3. Push the newspaper into a ball (or use tennis ball) and tie one end of the cord around the ball.
4. Cut the coloured paper into a square about 400mm x 400mm.
5. Place the ball in the middle of the paper and gather the material over the ball.
6. Cut another piece of cord to tie the opening in the material up.
7. You can also add a layer of plastic over the Bag Poi
and tie as before. This will make them last longer when used outside.
8. Trim the gathered paper with the scissors.
9. Tie loops or knots in the ends of the cord to hold onto as handles.
10. Make another one and you have your first set of Poi
This is a very basic bag Poi
. You can easily add to and decorate as you wish.
Maori Kapa Haka (performance) Poi
are fairly light and you may want to use seeds or rice to make them heavier. Be aware that if you hit yourself you may want it to be soft and light enough not to bruise.
The heavier you make it the slower you can spin and the less likely the Poi
will be effected by any wind.