Fire training and safety, Steel wool sparkly Poi - safety guide

• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Comments

Login or Register to post comments
Comments/replies: 9
fNi
Member #6857
Reged: Mar 2004
30th Mar 2008 1:27 AM

I'm fairly certain that many people aren't completely aware of the dangers of spinning steel wool, especially those new to HoP. Like Fire Breathing, spinning exclSteel wool is extremely dangerous, particularly for the careless. For those that choose to spin fire, most know to have a SAFETY, fire extinguisher, blanket, first aid equipment, covered fuel cans, etc. But basic fire safety will only take you so far.

As part of a performing troupe at my uni, I spin quite a bit. Sometimes when we feel the conditions are right, and the mood warrants it, we will spin steel wool. This is undertaken in a parking lot with no cars around. Even still, accidents can occur.

One time, during a filming shoot in the late winter/early spring, a member was spinning wool and some embers that flew off happened to land in the dry leaves/brambles next to the lot. Had someone not noticed that there was light where it should be dark, it was quite possible that there could have been uncontrollable flames.

Full clothing cover is so extraordinarily important I cannot begin to stress it. Most fire spinners know, or should know, that natural fibers are better to where while twirling. This extends even more so for steel wool, as you have embers that burn hotter flying all over the place, some that land places you don't expect, and leave singe marks. My advice...if you're going to do it, cover as much skin as possible...most importantly your hair.

The intensity of the light is another thing to watch out for. Having spun several wire wools myself, even with my eyes shut, and a beanie over my head extending down to my neck and over my eyes, the light was brilliant. Even taking pictures of it leaves the eyes dazzled.

If you're not the one spinning, and are the safety, be ready to douse anything right away, but be sure you're way out of the way of the sparks, because once they start going, they fly extremely far.

And there are of course people that think you can do it anywhere, even in a small courtyard surrounded by buildings, grass, trees and the audience.

I know that it is a spectacle that is amazing to see, but even so, I fear that there are too many people that will simply go and attempt it without stopping to think what they are doing.

Spin Safe hug

------------------------------
kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Frodo
Member #5027
Reged: Jun 2003
30th Mar 2008 1:29 AM

Use the finest grade exclWire wool that you can, DON'T dip, and don't light!!!
Sound confusing? well just use a normal household 9V battery, that's what i use, dry exclWire wool and a 9V it makes an even brighter wall of wool!!!
Don't take my word for it, try it!!

frodo out

------------------------------
passing through, this world still lives.

AuroraJones
Member #47877
Reged: Feb 2007
16th Apr 2008 8:07 AM

this is what we caught a field on fire doing in high school...

Do NOT mess around with this if you aren't completely confident.

Likewise, if you aren't a little nervous, you probably aren't approaching it with the right attitude. smile

------------------------------
The only difference between people with tattoos, and people without tattoos, is that people with tattoos, don't care if you're tattooed or not.

BIaze
Member #71986
Reged: May 2008
3rd May 2008 7:01 PM

So lots of warnings and stuff yes, which is good.

But how about actual safety?

I've been spinning for about a year and a half now and am really interested in giving sparkle poi a go.

But in terms of clothing, what? (apart from natural fibres)

In particular, the hair and face? A hockey mask and goggles I can see protecting the face, but what about the rest? Is a hooded jumper fine?

Please give more specifics!

Cheers.

jeffersonbasso
Member #83387
Reged: Nov 2008
27th Nov 2008 12:35 PM

does anybody know something about the risk of doing fire poi, i meant breathing kerosene or other stuffs?? confused2 weavesmiley

Malcolm
Member #2
Reged: Nov 2003
27th Nov 2008 4:19 PM

Your should read the MSDS of the fuel you use.
Basically all toxic to some degree.
See
br>

------------------------------
"May your balls always burn"

camenden
Member #139198
Reged: Sep 2011
17th Sep 2011 4:29 PM

I was just curious if you have any instructional videos on how to create the cage for exclSteel wool bounce2
------------------------------
♫ cam ♫

~Starshine~
Member #161205
Reged: Nov 2012
14th Nov 2012 11:27 AM

Can I get a similar effect as this with fire fans??

Pianofingers
Member #184683
Reged: Dec 2013
9th Jan 2014 9:09 AM

Look up the boomfan

Comments/replies: 9

Similar Topics

Using the keywords [steel wool sparkly safety guide] we found the following similar topics.
1. Learn > Fire Training > Fire training and safety > Steel wool sparkly Poi - safety guide *help/resource sparkly poi  steel wool poi  wire wool poi ok so...
2. Forums > Wire Wool Safety [35 replies]
3. Forums > Wire Wool ---- Sparkly poi [46 replies]
4. Forums > Sparkly poi.... new ideas.... [31 replies]
5. Learn > Fire Training > Fire training and safety > Fire training video *help/resource hop fire safety video we have created this video to...

Show more..