Forums > Social Chat > Exploring christainity

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
what are the chances of discussing the philosphy of christainity here on hop. it would be nice if those who respond have actually read portions of the new testemant at least. please resist the temptation to write something against the mainstream churches of today or what terrible things have been done in the name of christainity. please only comment on the philosophy written in the good book.

i want to start this thread because about 4 months ago i began reading the N.T. (new testament) and was surprised at the concepts and ideas i discovered. it remindered me of the eastern religions like hinduism and buddism. comfort can't be found in the material world, i'll have to find this scpriture later. their is one force/element which is behind the existence of all things Col 1:15-17. that the turth can be found within you Luke 17:21 John 7:38 John 14:17 Galations 4:6. and the spirit will teach you all wisdom Eph 1:17 Col 2:2

tell me what your veiw of these scpriture is and others. i am not a christain, jesus isn't my guru but the world veiw is very similar to what i beleive or at least i can eaily see it in the n.t.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
If you like those, try Phillippians 4:13.

Raph

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
A lot of the bibles sayings can be interpreted to mean that kind of thing.

the only one I can think of at the moment is 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand'.

Usually taken to mean that there is a heaven waiting for us after death, but it could also be a reference to the more eastern notion of heaven being right here and now, i.e. enlightenment is always here and you just need to recognise it.

Also, Jesus' saying 'I am the son of God' usually taken to mean that he was 'the' son of God.

An alternative interpretation would be that he is 'a' son of God (spirit, Tao etc) in the way that we all are.

There's a long standing tradition of christian mysticism (seeking for direct experience of the spiritual through prayer, meditation etc) starting from the 'Desert Fathers'- a group of seekers who went into the desert 2,000 years ago to seek God.

As for the chances of discussing Christianity on HOP, i reckon they're pretty good as long as you keep an eye on the thread and politely let people know if they stray off topic.

Your initial post makes it pretty clear what the threads about so hopefully people will think twice about posting anti religious stuff.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
If you read in the gospels (Matthew Mark Luke and John) somewhere at the begingin of one of those books (just incase you cant tell I dont have a Bible with me) you will read how the Spirit of God came and "lay" with Mary. In all actuality Jesus is the Son of God.

"I am the Way the Truth and the Light, and no man can get to the Father except through me."

We are also all Gods children so in essence so is Jesus.

If you read later on in the Gospels, you will read about Jesus' first trip to the Sinagauge (sp) how is parents lost him and how when he was found he said that he was "With his Father" or "In his Fathers house."

Ehh take what you will from it, I'm sure that my reply will just scare away everyone who wants to post.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
faith is wonderful but blind faith is dangerous

(i like that saying)

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
faith is wonderful but blind faith is dangerous

(i like that saying)

[ 16. September 2003, 12:29: Message edited by: Pele ]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I'd be interested in reading the "original" Bible. I think it's difficult to analyse the Modern Bible as it is an interpretation based upon translation from Ancient Hebrew into Latin and then into English.

I can't help but think that a lot has been lost in these translations and that the original translators have, inadvertantly(sp), put their own spin on the Bible's message. Jesus becomes a white man (to use the "Dogma" example), when there is historical evidence from that period which suggests the contrary.

Can you effectivly analyse something which has been written and re-written everytime it's translated. The philosphy must be changed at every translation, not because the translators want to change it, but because there is no exact match for that particular word, which in hebrew is significant and profound, but in Latin or english means very little, or something completely different.

Sorry if I strayed a little off topic, but I believe that interpretation of the message ultimately changes the message itself, so can you base a belief on something that has been changed, possibly significantly, from it's origins?!

PsyB.

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
Jesus was a dude, no doubt about that.

Christians get caught up in the myth and ignore what the guy actually had to say. He shows them a better way to live, and they basically put him on a pedestal, brand themselves sinful and assume they can never be as good as him.

Take a look at 'Jesus lived in India', which examines the evidence that Christ lived as a Buddhist before and after the crucifiction.

Of COURSE bits of the NT correspond with Buddhism and Hinduism, it doesn't take much research to see the same basic ideas cropping up in every religion. These ideas aren't specific to a particular faith, they apply to all of humanity because we are all experiencing the same existence.

It's only the interpretation and language that varies from culture to culture, and also, unfortunately, the degree to which the ideas have been distorted to control people.

This is where you get silly ideas like 'no sex before marriage', circumcision, holy wars, ethnic cleansing, and before you know it you're not loving your neighbour, you're judging, ostracising and executing him.

Magnus... pay it forward

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Even reading the Bible it its original languages (Hebrew for the old testament, Greek for the new testament) wouldn't really give you a sense of what was circulating at the time.
If I remember correctly, in the 3rd century the council of Nicea decided which texts would be included in the "Bible" and which texts would not. Politics showed up long before the King James translation.

If you can get your hands on a collection of Apocryphal texts that will give you a taste of what was out there at the time, but the bulk of such writings were lost over time.

On another note, to fully understand those writings you have to put yourself in the mindset of those people the new testament was written for. Thats where a knowledge of history and archaeological record comes into play, rather than just relying on theology.

Raph

2,905 posts

Posted:
If you take Christianity as the one true faith, could you honestly believe that God would allow His Word to be corrupted by stupid men?

I just dont see that happening.

PSyB, I can honestly say that I believe that the Bible that we read in English is for the most part as close as you can get to a translation from the orriginal hand written source.

I am sure someone will try to discredit it, but this is what I believe in, you wont change my mind so lets just avoid the argument by not trying to tell me that I am wrong.

Blind faith isnt dangerus, no more so than when you sit in your chair. You have blind faith that it will hold you up, even if it is the first time you have ever sat in that specific chair. You dont get down on your hands and knees and inspect the chair do you? So you must have blind faith that it will hold you up. Is it always wise to have blind faith? Thats up to you to decide, not for anyone to dictate.

quote:
Take a look at 'Jesus lived in India', which examines the evidence that Christ lived as a Buddhist before and after the crucifiction.

Magnus... where did you get that from bud? Was that sarchasim or did I miss a link somewhere? Please let me know

History and archaeology are there to back up the Bible. This is true, a wise man always looks under the last stone, even after his querry has been found, because you never know what else is there to be learned.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Ray, I don't doubt that the Bible was translated faithfully by everyone who undertook that task, the majority being ecclesiastical types for the translation and copied by Scribes.
Scribes who often who couldn't read and were simply copying the pictures without true understanding of the message they were portraying, this does lead to some interesting "typo's" in some Biblical texts as they don't know what they are writing!

But aside from possible copying errors there are some words which do not translate directly from hebrew into Latin or English, as there are some words that don't translate directly from German to French etc.

Given that, sacrifices and comprimisations have had to be made, in essence corrupting the original message of the Bible, although in no way meaning to.

Sorry dude, I don't want to sound harsh or diss your beliefs, everyone is entitled to believe whatever they like, I just enjoy this kind of theological debate.

No offence intended at all...

PsyB.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Itsgottab:
what are the chances of discussing the philosphy of christainity here on hop. it would be nice if those who respond have actually read portions of the new testemant at least. please resist the temptation to write something against the mainstream churches of today or what terrible things have been done in the name of christainity. please only comment on the philosophy written in the good book.

Itsgottab has made very clear what this post is about; some of the later posts here are going off topic and into the area of arguing about churches and the validity of the bible.

These are really interesting matters and would be good on another thread, but I'd like to see Itsgottab's request respected as I feel that this could be a interesting place to share ideas/insights rather than a place to argue.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Apologies Dave and itsgottab...

I just felt that interpretation of the message of Christianity also effects the philosphy of Christianity...

Sorry for the Hi-jack...

PsyB.

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Translation is always a problem and in terms of "God's word" being corrupted, thats exactly what happened at the Council of Nicea.

History and archaelogy are NOT there to back up the Bible. They are simply the 2 ways of understanding the past of mankind: through written sources and material culture. Where these two things overlap is where fact is established. (as far as is possible by us at the moment, of course)

Raph

funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
being a very adiment non christian, or come to think of it, non anything, the spiritual faith i hold in something more then all of this cant really be labled. simply having the faith in the fact that this is all simply 1 tiny stage upon which a certain degree of understanding is bestowed on us. some find it, some dont. some are never ment to find it. some are destined to show it.

but putting that aside, in all seriousness, not actually being very understanding in the beliefs of "god".... i'm not labling that to christianity, but to any religion where an eternal parental vision is held, wouldn't it be better to stand by your belief of not agreeing to the idea of someone elses faith, rather then saying you are a certain religion, but without acutaly feeling it?

eg, people who call themselves christian, but dont feel it, trying to kid themselves that going to church regularly and dictaing to others what they think is the "right" way of believing the way the world is is the way to heaven, or Muslims who use Allah's name to front their dictatorships, vent their personal anger against other religions? surly knowing within yourself that you believe in your faith, be it Hindu, Jewdism, anything else you want, is enough to satisfy your choosen idol?

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
Raymond thanks for posting. and onewheeldave for trying to keep it on track.

Mary and the spirit is at Luke 1:35 in my bible it says '...and God's power will come over you.' which has to make you smile. this is an angel talking to mary. please don't get tied down in who did mary tell this story to, and so on. the message is in the word, its deeper, sound corney i know.

In my orignal post i made reference to all wisdom and knowledge being in christ, another one is Col 1:19 & 2:9 God is in Christ.

while christ was a man on earth, after death christ became a spirit Col 1:15, not that of a human but more like god, as Gen 1:26 Col 1:15 & 16

while some of you have a history on hop of arguing on almost all matters with raymond he is able to follow requests which seems is beyond you supposedly open minded types (lets talk philosophy and not whatever distractes us from talking about the philosophy, please. what you say is interesting maybe we could disscuss it next time) i incourage you to have a look at these scriputers on the blueletterbible.com site sorry i don't know how to do links

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I don't see that I have been arguing at all, just trying to clarify things about the scriptures as such clarification has a direct bearing on any discussions about the philisophies they contain.

I find religion very interesting indeed and welcome the opportunity to talk about such matters.

Raph

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Exactly, Frosty.

Anyone can prove any point by quoting words out of their context in the middle of a completely unrelated conversation.

I find this use of the bible to be both insulting and steeped more in the quoter trying to prove themselves right, than trying to lead a good life.

I believe that the story of Jesus (whom I believe to be a holy prophet, just like Muhammed, Moses, etc etc) is a story of someone leading a good life more than any of the miraculous things he did.

His life is an example of how we should try to live, and that is what the new testament is all about, showing us what happened in his life.

We can translate those actions each as individuals, and apply it to our own lives. As long as we know we are trying to lead a good life.

To take a quote from the NT, and use it to perform less-than-good actions, such as the guy who killed the abortion doctor in the US, is a complete misuse of this holy text.

In my opinion, of course...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Okay, I may be a little off the mark, but my understanding of what Itsgottab (long time no talk, man ) was getting at was this:

The purpose of this thread is for discussing passages or verses in the bible that are

thought provoking,good teachings for anyone leading their lives,and/or similar to teachings from other religons.
The bible may have been changed and re-interpreted a million times over, I don't know. But this is to discuss some of the ideas that are in there now that people have found interesting or inspirational whether they are christian or not.

"the spirit will teach you all wisdom". I understand this as there is a basic state of being (feeling, attitude towards others etc) that if you practice will guide you in your life.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

2,905 posts

Posted:
I dont explain other religions, I cant, so I wont even attempt to. I have never read any other holy books.

The Gospel of Thomas... umm... it isnt in the Bible is it? Honestly it has been a long time since I forgot all the books of the Bible. Why should I believe a word that says? It isnt part of the Bible, therefore I will not take it as part of Christianity.

PSyB, dont worry, I may get angry but you gotta try pretty hard to really offend me. However, I dont think that God would allow the Word that guides His people to be corrupted. It just doesnt add up to me.

More later, got kicked off the comp, damn pack up

Djnnmember
79 posts

Posted:
well i do hold the deepest love and respect for the person jesus(hi) but jesus wasn't about comming to the planet to start a religion to set other religions right and thats what christanity is founded on it's a good religion that is based on faith alone which is ironic becuuse im quoting jesus here"you cannot enter though the gates of heaven on faith alone"
jesus came here same as all the other masters of all the religions to tell the people chill out,drink wine, sit back, learn from life, be good to your brothers(everyone is you brother or sister), and that God is us, he's not some mistical being pointing his finger at you saying "YES YOU---state your name here---I CHOOSE YOU ABOVE ALL ELSE" because if you read threw gennisis it says that we "are created in the immage and likelyness of god" hence that means take it as you will. Our world our reality is nothing more that a immage we live this illusion as a test to learn from so that we may one day evolve into our full potentials and regain our god hood that we were created to be
Read threw gennisis (the older the bible the better) because leave it up to the catholics to take away the true words of god and incert their own...(councle of 1612 i think but that could be way way off)
regardless i was born Catholic and raised in catholic schools intill i got on my own and from my experience with them their hearts are in the right place its just not headed in the right direction they split everything up into a heaven and a hell dividing their spirits in two
inorder to feach fullfillment you need to listen to your own heart
not the prayers of someone else
your prayers
talk to the earth
it is as much you as the body you call youself
that is the ego illusion that we're born into
you are a spirtual being having a human experience
don't mistake it for the other way around

love and light,
djinn

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE PHILOSOPHY IN THE N.T. PLAESE.

charles firstly, if you were refering to me as a 'quoter' trying to prove myslef right? i have tried to engage people into a disscussion about the philosophy written within the N.T. it would seem a good idea to quote from the source as somebody writing an essay on plato would prehaps quote plato. further if you read these 'quotes' and the scripture around them you just may find that they aren't taken out of context. if you weren't refering to me i aplogise.

The N.T. isn't about jesus's life, there is some mention of his birth a couple of scpriture about a visited to some rabbi when he was 12? the majority of whats written about jesus is of his teachings and preahing over about a 3 year peroid. this accounts for the gospels. An equal amount concerns (interestly paul never meet jesus , and fought against the early christain, he was instructed by the spirit) who wrote a number of letters to churches he had founded encouraging and instructing them how to live and outlining something of a philosophy in some of his smaller letters. there are a few other letters written by other followers. these were all written some time after jesus died. the first at least 30 years and the last maybe up to 100 years. christ didn't write any of the N.T. budda didn't leave any writings either.

another very important thing jesus said was that the spirit would teach the people, john his 'favorite' disiple also says this in his gospel and letters. So the bible it would seem is the introduction to belief and not the whole.

there are differences in what contributors say in the bible(compare james and peter to what paul give as to reasons for our sins. paul and jesus give different teachings on marriage, there are no doubt more, but these seem quite major to me) so when people read and formulate their beliefs they vary just as in buddism. this seems to be a problem more for non believiers.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
I'm going to ge myself in trouble again...

I don't feel there is a philosophy that exists on it's own in the NT.

It's an historical account.

The philosophy comes from how you intrepret the events and actions of the history as it is told...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Itsgottab:
....blueletterbible.com site sorry i don't know how to do links
Easiest way to do links is to go to the page you want to link to, highlight the address in it's address bar then copy and paste it into your post.

It should then be automatically converted to a link.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

2,905 posts

Posted:
Charles is right and wrong, yes there is alot of history in the N.T. but within that history is "philosiphy", though I like to call it a four letter word... fact.

God is not us, sorry Djinn, I have to disagree with you there, I know you wont find Jesus saying that we are all God anywhere in the Bible, though I can not vouch for any other religion.

You are right, you can not enter the kingdom of God on faith alone, it does take some actions. Jesus said 'you acknowlege me with your lips before man I will acknowlege you in Heaven before God.' (thats parphrased, I dont have a Bible with me This would be a lot easier if I did )

I dont want to offend anyone, so I will just say that I dont agree with Catholisism and leave it at that.

The Bible is not the faith, the faith is something that you have. The Bible is more of a set of instructions. Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth... a handy acronym

If you really want to get into an intersting debate read the book of Revilation. That one is a duesey hahaha

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
What in the NT is fact?

I am aware that there are elements in the OT which have been proven based on the existence of both historical AND archaeological record, but I haven't heard of the same being found in the NT.

If such evidence HAS been found, lay it on me!

More information, please!

Raph

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Okay, I know this is not from the new testament, but thought this might spark interesting debate:

quote:
for the imagination of man's heart [is] evil from his youth; Gen 8:21
Do you think humankind is essentially bad, or essentially good? Or is the basis of that statement (the idea of good/evil) purely subjective?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
charles my gemini friend there is little history in the N.T. there are mainly the teaching of jesus in the gospels, though the use of stories explaining what is important, arguments against the jewish rabbi of the day an overall philosophy can be seen.

paul in some of his more reflective letters writes quite philosphically. if you are interested read the 4 books after 2 corthians in a modern day english version

frostypaw your comments are interesting but it would seem you have read little or nothing of the N.T. i encourage your mind to explore this grand book with your open mind.

Nice Rozi, my book says 'evil from the time of his youth' i took it to mean after childhood we become independant people the trouble of life begins. this scrpiture is what god says after the flood. even though people are bad i wil never again destory them as i have now = god.

i think we are essentially good. i mean even people who do bad things only do them for very short periods of time. a murderer only spent 1 second or maybe 10 minutes in the act of murder. i am sure they did many good things for people thoughout there lives.

we are good, in this context jews look for the bad because they must live by the law and so avoid bad, hence they are always looking for it. thats why jesus did away with the law because it brought sin into the world, ie. nobody is prefect. christain thought promotes the idea of letting the spirit correct your ways Eph 4:23-24 and having concern for others Phili 2:1-2 4:8

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
apart from Psalms, what parts are not historical?

The entire NT is a description of events by different people. Like diary entries...not once is the Reader acknowledged directly and 'told' what to do.

It may feel like a lesson and have philosophical thoughts in it, but they are historical thoughts.

Even in the OT, the story of Moses bringing the tablets down does not say anything like "and so you (the reader) must obey these commandments". It simply described what happened to the historical charcaters as it did.

That is the beauty of the Bible, it shows through actions and doesn;'t preach directly. Any preaching is done by the soul/conscience/mind of the person reading it.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
charles read the damn book!!!!!

John 20:30 Jesus preformed many other miracles for his disciples, and not all of them are written in this book. 31 But these are written so that you will put your faith in jesus as the messiah and the son of god. if you have faith in him you will have true life. looks like direct acknowledgement to me, or am i interpreting that out of context to prove myself right.

1John 2:1 My children, I am writing this so you won't sin. its a letter charles, written to people acknowledged by the writer.

What about this one charles!! Romans 2:29 '...And besides, you should want praise from god and not from humans.' shit to me it reads as if the reader is being told what to and is even acknowledged.

or Romans 6:19 'But know you must make every part of your body a slave to god, so that you will belong completely to him.

So in Hebrews 1:3 ...By his own mighty word, he holds the universe together... it seems like apeice of philosophy that if placed together with the other peices of philosophy in the N.T. makes a whole philosophy(philosophy begin a way of veiwing the world and how to operate in it).

charles you have made it totally clear you haven't read the book. read it before making more silly comments like the ones you have been making.

Page: ...