Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Hey I was hopin you guys could help me pound out this idea I have for a flaming headpiece. So far I've come up with a very bad combo of styrofome and gasoline to hold the flame and maybe some kinda fire proof fiber to smear it on... But as you can tell that's not very safe. Lemme hear your idea's on it. I also need someway of keeping my head of overheating. Though maybe an old metal hardhat lined with icepacks might work?I dunno let's hear some idea's.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
A friend was recently talking about making a flaming crown. Sort of like a fire-fan sticking up behind her head. That sounds like a good line to follow.If you keep the actual flamey bits on spars some distance from your head, you won't have to worry too much about your head getting hot. I'm currently exploring different metals with different levels of thermal conductivity. Unfortunately aluminum, which is very easy to work with, is highly conductive, so that's out. Brass is pretty easy to work with, and half as conductive.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Humm yeah that would be alot easyer if I just had like small wicks on the end on rod somehow attached to a hat or somethin.. Also I'm tryin to think up some safe way of making fireballs by having something in my hand that can shoot the fuel into the air in front of me, somethin like a small spray bottle or a squrit gun.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Oh brother. That sounds really dangerous. Like fire-breathing, but with less control. I can imagine the squirtgun literally blowing up in your hand.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

tkerbymember
30 posts

Posted:
I have a Flaming Halo! I was going to use one of the metal hats from the war as a base but couldnt find one. So it has become a yellow hard hat with a piece of shower curtain rail and the screw end riveted through the top with some wire wound wick wick attatched to a wire cross at the top. It's 20cm above the hat and slightly warm! Gives a nice yellow glow through the top and is great in the snow. It has a quick release chin strap too so it doesnt fall off. The screw thread means I can leave the hat on for easy dipping too. It's kind of a bit Arthur Brown, a bit teletubbie, a bit angel and a bit village people but cool all the same.As for tricks, I have had fire breathing over my head - WOW! But be very very careful. Make sure your clothes are fire proofed and have the breather close too you and breathing up at 45 degrees through the flame from your back. Otherwise you can get covered in fuel.It's also great for lighting peoples poi. Just take a bow and they can light off your head. But the original idea was for busking. In a group you get far more cash if someone walks round with a bucket and a flaming hat is relatively safe to walk up to people and chat with!Good luck!

lokimember
1 post

Posted:
This is not really the same....but during the first festival I performed fire in there was this one fire spinner with dreds and she was attempting to spin them over her head and lit her hair on fire...it wasn't too bad though...not much damage....keep that in mind...