funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
cutting a long sotry short, whilst practiseing in the back yesterday, my poi head broke. its a strange desine because the middle of the part one wraps the wick round was filled with wood into which one screws the chain ends..... just don't ask about why its made like this.... i have no idea.....

anyway, obviously after about a year of fire use, the wood has charcoaled and broken, thus leaving me with the task of ordering new ones (the 4 inch heads form the shop i think )

just wondering if any others have had similer issues with dodgy poi/ staff/ anything parts.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by funkymonky:
cutting a long sotry short, whilst practiseing in the back yesterday, my poi head broke. its a strange desine because the middle of the part one wraps the wick round was filled with wood into which one screws the chain ends..... just don't ask about why its made like this.... i have no idea.....

anyway, obviously after about a year of fire use, the wood has charcoaled and broken, thus leaving me with the task of ordering new ones (the 4 inch heads form the shop i think )

just wondering if any others have had similer issues with dodgy poi/ staff/ anything parts.

Many years ago I bought a bargain set of fire juggling clubs which lasted less than an hour when I lit them up.

The stems were metal but inside them was a wooden shaft which connected to the handles.

Always be suspicious of wood on fire toys!

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Sorry Dave, I have to giggle at you. I like it how you quoted funky's ENTIRE post and it's the ONLY post above yours. Like if you hadn't quoted it we would have no idea to what you were referring but with the quote of the entire post, it's all so clear.

Sorry, I don't know why that makes me giggle but it does. I'm only bringing it up because I thought you'd giggle too.

Clearly I'm up past my bedtime.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
*GIGGLES*

And yeah, i had a wooden firestaff that a freind of a friend made and then didnt want anymore.

It fell apart after about 20 burns becuase it ceased to be %100 wood and was attempting to become %100 charcoal...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
Sorry Dave, I have to giggle at you. I like it how you quoted funky's ENTIRE post and it's the ONLY post above yours. Like if you hadn't quoted it we would have no idea to what you were referring but with the quote of the entire post, it's all so clear.

Sorry, I don't know why that makes me giggle but it does. I'm only bringing it up because I thought you'd giggle too.

Clearly I'm up past my bedtime.

I just like using the 'quote' feature.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
At the busker festival there was this french dude selling fire poi (for 90$ bucks! And the chain felt like just lazy forward spinning would snap it!) and I noticed that they had the wood in the middle of the copper tubing that the wick was wrapped around. The poi I have, we just screw a screw through the layers of kevlar and towel and into the premade holes. I've been lighting them all summer and have never had a problem with anything flying off. Nothing in the midddle for the screw to go into, I guess they just like me!^-^

P*L*U*R