Page:
onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I've just seen the start of David Blaines latest endurance feat on tv.

44 days in a box with no food.

It only fully dawned on me as I watched the documentary bits how hard it's going to be, I felt a little scared for him.

I guess most people won't understand why he's doing it, and will thinks he's into it for the publicity or is nuts.

I hope he comes out of it ok.

There's info on: -

https://www.channel4.com/davidblaine

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I have no idea how he's going to manage with no food for 44 days. personally, I would struggle to last 44 minutes!
Its a bit of a strange thing to be doing but good luck to him!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I hope he fails and comes out begging for his mummy.

Hmmm maybe he will be the target of a terrorist attack - he is in a prime location after all

I don't really wish the man any harm but what a self satisfied ponce. He bugs me.

Wouldn't worry about him, he has fattened himself up nicely and I'm sure he will survive by drinking his own urine or something.

I always did think he was taking the piss.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Who is this guy? I have never heard of him before.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Any London based spinners up for a laugh...

I reckon we wait until day 30, so he's nice and knackered... then everytime he falls asleep, throw something at the box...

see how he does with 44 days without food AND sleep!!!! mmmmmwwwwwahahaahahahahahaa!

PsyB.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
he is a USA magician/inlusionist, and i rekon he will do it, its a mental mind set, and if you are mentaly stong enough you could do it!

its not like a cant watch the world go by, so its unlike loicking yourelf in a dark box cos at least you have a concept of time and that helps lots, trust me...long story, ghet me drunk and ill tell you!

what i do rekon the london crew should do is put on a show on some of the nights they will be shoing him, and wear homeofpoi.com shirts, drum up some biz for mal!

later guys

Step (el-nombrie)

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
he's probably just an unemployed person / student who has too much time on his hands, so he indulges in seemingly pointless activities to amuse himself.....
although upon reflection that describes me quite well

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Kat:
I hope he fails and comes out begging for his mummy.
his mum is dead i believe.
the only picture he has with him is of her so if he does fail (after going mad of course), it's likely he will come out wanting his mother.
but she will still be gone, no matter how mad he goes.

to be honest i think he's a bit of a pretentious nutter too but i also respect him a hell of a lot.
his magic is out of this world and his will is unbelieveably strong.

i was having a look at the interactive webcam thingy on friday night (@ about 1:30am) and from the in-the-box-cam saw something hit and smash (i think it was a bottle).
people were shouting abuse at him all night too...

i think mental torture is better than just being drunk and mean.
like we could order a bunch of pizza's and slowly eat them right under him (leaving one leftover slice in plain view when we go).
or fire sticky arrows at the box with packets of crisps and chocolate bars tied to them so that they dangle from the outer wall of the box.

the doctor on the telly said he'd be trippin his face off within 3 weeks - apparently he can expect full on hallucinations of patterns, moving insects and eventually people's faces.

sounds like a lot of effort to me though...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
looool....

Col thats far worse than keeping him awake!!

the torture of all that food just hanging outside the box, just out of reach!

I do agree though, his street magic stuff was really good, it's just all this "major event" kind of hype he does which is a bit OTT, a bit too much like David Copperfield(sp?) for my liking...

PsyB.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
David Blaine is a street magician. Unfortunately, most of the 'amazing' tricks that I've seen on TV are grossly edited to make the tricks seem amazing. His levitation trick was shown to actually have used a crane and rope when the cameras were on him other angles when people were watching. So EITHER you see him levitating or you see the stupid people watching him do the 'stand on the tips of my toes trick'.

He's cool though. I like his style.

Since he is an ILLUSIONIST I'd think he'd be pulling our leg with the 44 days in a box. I'm sure there are some people that could do it physically, but if you're an illusionist, why not just use smoke and mirrors?

He did a similar trick in blocks of ice in New York. You could kind of see him there in the ice for many days... sort of.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I'm surprised at the hostility some people have towards him.

Obviously he's going to bump up the publicity as he's a showman and that's how he makes a living.

At least he focuses on things that he has a passion for, rather than just stunts that he knows will have mass appeal.

I know that he's been criticised on the grounds that people in the thirld world are starving and that by voluntarily choosing to go without food he's somehow being direspectful.

But anyone who's followed his career can see that he's basically interested in pushing his physical and mental limits in a spiritual pursuit, much like the fakirs of India.

There's no way I'd put myself through anything like it, but I have massive respect for anyone with the will to do something like this.

Each of his last three endurance feats have ended in him being rushed off for medical treatment and this one, if he lasts the full 44 days, is going to be the worst.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:

He's cool though. I like his style.

Since he is an ILLUSIONIST I'd think he'd be pulling our leg with the 44 days in a box. I'm sure there are some people that could do it physically, but if you're an illusionist, why not just use smoke and mirrors?

He did a similar trick in blocks of ice in New York. You could kind of see him there in the ice for many days... sort of.

I guess that's always going to be a possibilty.

But I reckon he's doing it for real.

Houdini was also a trickster, but much of the stuff he did was real.

I guess at the end of 44 days we'll be able to tell cos' he's going to come out about 3 stones lighter and probably be a physical and mental mess.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
is it my imagination or do millions of people go without food on a regular basis, and at least thousands kept in solitary confinement in countries where its perfectly legal to do so? Personally i wouldn't put myself through it for fun, but i don't think it's really that amazing or ore inspiring. I think this guy has the right idea:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2869999.stm

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
David Blaine's mother is dead. She died of cancer, and since she was a single, this effected him deeply.

His sleight of hand is really amazing. He has great dexterity and speed.

His "stunts" (which is what these are, not really illusions)...some are real, some are contrived.
He has been buried alive (he slipped out), sealed into a block of ice (semi real), and stood atop a really tall pole (ala the old swing poles from side shows) for several days (real).
Each one he trains for incredible. To build up his leg strength for Vertigo (where he stood on the pole) we walked around in a chainmaille suit and worked out. To handle the cold for longer periods of time (because even though you slip out now and then you still have to be in the hollow section for several hours at a time, which is still darn cold) he submerged himself into frigid waters.
He has been training and working up for the fasting one for some time, though it is still a stunt, which means there are buffers he will most likely use (my guess is he will be pocketting suppliments), and what will he be drinking? My guess is not just water but some form of electrolyte/supplimental drink.
Oh and...they all get whisked to the hospital and made a big deal of. They all have some form of medical machines "hooked to them" (alot of times to someone else actually). It is part of the show. Many of them do need moderate medical attention after these stunts (Criss Angel actually had stuff go wrong with submerged because camera lights warmed the water in the tank, something they did not account for, and it caused problems), they just amplify it a little. Some of them even have their "medical files" up online for witness. They are showmen and this is all part of the show, inlcuding the family freaking out, the medical crew, the manager swearing the person will never do something like this again....

He can tell you the origins and histories to nearly everything he does, which is one of the reasons I respect him so much. He does not half-heartedly just "DO" something, he really knows it, loves it and owns it.

Yes he is an egotist, and that drives me crazy but I also have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for his dedication and resolve.
With people like Criss Angel out there, Magician of the Year 2002, who did submerged...the variation of the Houdini stunt, really pushing the boundaries, David Blaine is no longer the "only" highly visible person in this faction of magic and sideshow performance art. He needs to step it up, and that is what he is doing. Can't blame a man for competing.

Coversely, Blaine's forward style has also effected Grand Illusionist such as David Copperfield, who had to cross the line from rigged escapes to a bit more dangerous forrays. A few years ago David Copperfield created, by use of gas jets and a wind system, a tornado of fire, which he took proper precautions and stood in the center of it. Parts of him still got a little crispy but that was his answer to these "Houdini-esque" endurance stunts.

I find it all very fascinating and there is alot of great reading about it all, including David Blaines book "Mysterious Stranger", which is great to get history and tips from. I love reading it in airports and long trips actually.

Ummm...yeah....I'll shut up now exept to ask, how long did Ghandi fast for?

[ 10. September 2003, 03:18: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ah-ha! so you watch magic's secrets revealed too eh pele?

i want to know who replaced him in the ice when it wasn't him in there... if that had been me, i'd have wanted most of the money mr blaine made from it!

so, do you know how david copperfield made the statue of liberty disappear too?
i'm stumped on that one.
it was one of copperfield's best imho (almost as good as his 'convince claudia schiffer to sleep with me for two years' - that was pure genius).
i'll give you a clue: he definitely didn't use big mirrors.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

toonboy7member
11 posts

Posted:
I gotta say I'm half and half on the guy.

half of his 'magic; is hackneyed rabbit-puller stuff, the other classic freak and geek show material is interesting.

I'd never wish harm upon anyone so ... best 'O' luck to him!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
ive seen his street magic on tv and if its for real, ie not all actors, then its incredible, i just cant see how its done.

his big stunts are impressive but i find it quite scary that anyone can have such a strong mind to put themselves through that kind of self torture.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Coleman, yes and I know a bunch of "magicians", some who are really bad, some who talk too much.
I have also been figuring ways to add to my stage show with magic for awhile now, which leads me to read alot.
That Statue of Liberty was camera tricks and a paid "audience", which is why you only see it on camera.
I love the illusions where they are impaled on things. They always keep me rapt.

Even though I know how they do alot of this stuff...I still love watching it.

Although...for those who are illusion and prestidigitation enthusiasts, NEVER see Lance Burton live. I enjoy watching him on tv, and so I saw him live. He was soooooo BAD! He has a terrible stage presence. All of his tricks are the same one, something disappears and comes back as a girl..over and over. Then, in the end, he has the "levitating" car. You can actually see the black cloth that hides the lift it is on. He also had no clue how to handle hecklers, which was funny.

However, Penn and Teller...love them. They show you how illusions are done but they do it so adeptly and/or quickly that it is hard to follow anyway! Fantastic!
David Copperfield is a great story teller on stage. I really enjoyed his shows immensely. I dunno...I am not a fan of Claudia so I think someone else hexed Copperfield to make him want her! lol
(I think that I spend way too much time on these things, what do you think???)

Pele

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
people have indeed been distressing him...lots..

one bloke was whacking golf balls from tower bridge at him...

teenage ladies have been getting all nekkid..

enough eggs have been thrown to feed a large egg only eating monster for a week.

and 2 nights ago..some kids took laser pens...and were right on the other side of the river and shone them into his eyes..

he actually shat himself..he thought it was a sniper..

i reckon we should all go distress him...did i say distress..i meant entertain him..with lots of firey stuff...

that we we can say we have personally performed for david blane

:evillook:

or not...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by The United Chains of Fire (Jon):
i reckon we should all go distress him...did i say distress..i meant entertain him..with lots of firey stuff...

that we we can say we have personally performed for david blane

I think that would be funny. Interesting to put on the resume! lol You want to be really evil? Bring a grill and have a BBQ. Sorry.

I don't get why people are doing that. I don't get why he is, but what is the use in hurting someone or insulting them by violence such as this?
Now I see why the stockades were so popular in England back when. You people like to throw sh!t for no reason!
*making mental note to never be a living statue in London*

Pele

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I read in one of the tabloid papers yesterday that there's a burger van selling food to the people watching.
Apparently, the smell from that is driving him insane - he must really, really want a burger now

I also read somewhere that in order to stop himself needing the use the nappies much, he stopped eating 6 days before getting into the box, making the grand total 50 days with no food, but I'm taking this with a huge pinch of salt - no pun intended

Jon, when you say 'distress him', do you mean climbing onto the box when he's asleep, shouting at him then taking a photo when he wakes up, before running away?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
anyone got a paintball gun?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Concerning him 'slipping out' during his buried alive stunt, are there any links to info on this?

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Dave, it's a magic 'how to' thing. It was in a book debunking magic and stunts. THe side of the coffin is hinged to a room, where he can slip to stretch, for whatever. Video footage loops until he gets back in. It is only a few minutes break, and he is in there for hours but still, it is a break. Same thing with ice. Door in the floor, when they would blow the dry ice smoke on the outside to keep the outer edge of the ice from melting, he would slip out and be replaced for a short bit. There is another "magician" who has video's for sale telling how to do most of Blaine's street magic.

I like this one because of the glass box and such, but not eating is not such an incredible feat, as many have said, people do it globally because they have to. Heck, one guy even survived weeks in the Sahara when he got lost in the race they hold every year. He lived on his own pee until a plane or caravan or something found him.

Pele

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I've seen shows explaining how many of his street magic was done, such as his levitation trick.

But, concerning the buried alive one, just cos a show explains how it's possible to fix it so he can get out for a bit, can we conclude that that is what actually happened?

I've got no idea whether he did or didn't, but just because he could have doesn't mean he did.

I've been looking at this tonight-

https://community.channel4.com/6/ubb.x?a=frm&s=162603557&f=118604722

It's a Blaine forum and there's some debate on there about how real his stunts are.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Pele:
Heck, one guy even survived weeks in the Sahara when he got lost in the race they hold every year. He lived on his own pee until a plane or caravan or something found him.
What are 2 OAP's doing in the middle of the sahara?
Shouldnt they be in bournemouth?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I think this David Blaine stunt says a lot about people, especially the English. A guy decides that he's going to push his body to the limits, and gets abuse for it.

Sure, he's doing it to earn a lot of money - but you know why? Because we, the public, are interested and pay attention. And so it's our money paying for it.

And he's also doing it for the same reason people climb mountains - because it's a challenge. Personally I'm with dave in that just because a stunt can be faked, doesn't mean it is. I think it's more likely his stunts are real, mainly because I ask about the following things: If it came out he was faking then his career and reputation is ruined. It only takes one of his large crew to sell the story of a fake to the tabloids for that crew member to earn a lot of money. When digging the rather big hole for his 'Buried Alive' stunt how many people would have noticed them digging a bigger hole next door, then reinforcing that to be an underground chamber? How much does a hole digger make compared to a tabloid payout? How many people would have noticed them building a trap door before placing the block of ice? And I see no way standing on a pole can be faked.

What I do see is another example of the negativity so deeply ingrained into the English people. I'm sure that David Blaine didn't count on the sheer amount of spitefulness and unpleasantness present in this country. What reason is there to throw eggs and rocks and shine laser pointers at night? I think these people are, quite frankly, scum. I can think of no other reason that these people find pleasure in the suffering of others. The same mental frameset is the reason kids kill themselves due to shocking levels of bullying, the same reason we love to see our celebrities shamed on the front page when they mess up or just have a bad hair day.

Interestingly I'm currently writing another post about this, so I'll leave this point to later. But for those of you who want David Blaine to fail ask yourself why, then ask yourself what this says about you.

Thanks for reading.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Dõm:
If it came out he was faking then his career and reputation is ruined. It only takes one of his large crew to sell the story of a fake to the tabloids for that crew member to earn a lot of money. When digging the rather big hole for his 'Buried Alive' stunt how many people would have noticed them digging a bigger hole next door, then reinforcing that to be an underground chamber? How much does a hole digger make compared to a tabloid payout?
that was exactly what i thought.

like i said earlier - in the ice block stunt, why the hell wouldn't the replacement david blaine that took his place between the dry ice blowing 'maintenance' of the block want to be recognised for his efforts too?

pele - do you have the name/author of the book you refer to please - i'd love to have a look
or will you get told off by magicians for releasing the name and publishers of their 'secret' tomes on a discussion board?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Dom I resent your statements negativity so deeply ingrained into the English! Excuse me but I am Irish so please include the Irish into your reasoning that my dislike of David Blaine is to do with ingrained negativity!!

I watched the Jump London program on during the week and applauded. Sure a bunch of Frenchmen jumping around the place is totally pointless although it is impressive they did not come across as guys that are up in themselves.
I don't usually take a dislike to people who are doing no harm to anyone but themselves but this guy comes across a self worshipping humourless droid. Tony Blair is another man who gives me taht incredible urge to punch the TV screen when he appears.

I have a friend who is an amateur magician and a darn good one. He demonstrated Blaines levitation trick for me (without the aid of cranes to make it look wowee) and I was well impressed.

Having participated in charity fasts in the past I would be supportive if I knew that all proceeds were been dontated to charities helping the starving and the poor, it angers me that his pockets are being lined, making a mockery of all the people who have participated in hunger strikes to try and bring about change.

Dom, my opinion is that David Blaines sensationalist stunts are a pile of pants hence my negativity not because I automatically want someone doing well for themselves to fail.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I don't have the name because I didn't buy it. And it was in tabloids that he faked it, complete with fuzzy photos, but I don't listen to those. It was also on one of those secrets revealed shows, but I didn't listen to that either. Please don't insult my intelligence by assuming I fault him for no reason. I apologize that I don't have all the information you want off the top of my head, but I gave you information enough to go out and find it for yourself, like I did.

Has anyone else here read Blaine's book? I own it. I have twice. My opinions of him are pretty grounded in all of the interviews, specials, articles in the book. He is an amazing innovator in presentation, but doesn't do anything original, and yes, before we get into that debate, there is space for originality left in this field. He does have will power, but more than that, he has charisma to schmooze up to the right people...and that is where his brilliance is.

Part of being an illusionist-escapist is pushing yourself within boundaries, and using that to push the perceptions of your audience. I am with Kat that these feats, while somewhat interesting to discuss...
1. Have been done before. He needs to do something original. So far, all of them. At least Criss Angel does stupid things that HAVEN'T been done before, a tank of water for several days, a record setting body suspension time. I still don't get it but at least those are original.

2. Are done without purpose. A performer's motivation is part of what is intriguing to the audience, and part of what can get the audience on "your side". Not having, or stating a motivation is insulting to the audience, especially when it is something that can spark activistic debates, such as starvation. I mean, c'mon, Ghandi is a tough act to follow.

Just because I disagree with the way he does alot of these presentations does not mean I do not admire him. I know magic/illusion/etc. is what I make of what is presented, and in that respect I admire many performers. Penn and Teller, in fact, get up tell you they are liars, cheaters, etc...and sometimes even how they do it, and they are my favorites. In my mind it is accepting it for what it is...a really interestingly presented stunt.

Do you think the reason that people are having such an aggressive reaction is due to the fact that it is starvation? As I mentioned before, people tend to take things like this to heart in an activistic sense. Or do you think it is just people fed up with sensationalism? Or is it just Londoners? (sorry Kat, you know I had to throw that in! )

BTW...The reason people haven't done this type of stuff before is because when he does the stunts in NYC, he has security to prevent it!

[ 12. September 2003, 05:13: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Dõm:
I think this David Blaine stunt says a lot about people, especially the English. A guy decides that he's going to push his body to the limits, and gets abuse for it.

------

What I do see is another example of the negativity so deeply ingrained into the English people.

-----

Interestingly I'm currently writing another post about this, so I'll leave this point to later.

I'd also prepared a post on this, but, as you seem to be working on one also I'll just cut and paste it here: -

---------------
Blaine and the British,

As you may know, David Blaine is several days into his 44 day endurance feat in a glass box over London.

He is recieving hassle from people throwing eggs and rocks at his box, he has also recieved criticism in the press etc, being accused of being a publicity seeker, cheat and general big head.

I remember watching his pole stand feat where he stood atop a high pole for a day and a night, before leaping off into a pile of cardboard boxes.

When I saw that on TV I was astouded by the immense crowds that gathered to watch, and the support they gave him towards the end. It was actually a little freaky to hear some many thousands chanting his name.

Then he comes to Britain and people throw rocks!

I know the British have been accused of resenting success and I'm wondering if this is an example of that.

From some of the posts on the other Blaine thread I get the impression that people think it's fine for him to be critisised in this way,and funny that he's being disturbed by rock throwing.

To put a spinnners perspective on it, when we spin fire in a park or other public area, it's safe to assume that a few of the people passing will resent what we're doing.

They'll be thinking that we're dangerous, or that we're showing off. generally we won't be aware of it because they'll just walk on.

But how would we feel if they hurled abuse and threw eggs or stones at us?

My guess is that we'd feel that they were completely out of order.

And, where verbal criticism is concerned, if people don't like something isn't it best for them to walk on and find something they do like, rather than hang around and jeer?

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Page: