Forums > Social Chat > Warning to glowstick users in the US

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi, I havent posted here before, just lurk, but seeing as how there are a lot of glowstick users and ravers here I figured this would be a worth while public service announcement, at least to usa residents.https://www.salon.com/ent/music/feature/2001/06/20/rave_feature/index.htmlNow, im not trying to start a debate on the merits of drugs, raves, or the war on drugs, (that seems best suited for a different list), just thought I'd give a heads up and say be carefull.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Human stupidity seems to have no real limit ... that's almost scary !!!!as Dask said earlier, raves are now getting more and more difficult to organize in France cause the regulations are more and more severe. Truth is, I am not a big raver, but I am a passionate fighter for anybody's right to do what does not harm other people... People always fear what they don't know and reject what they don't understand or don't even try to understand...However, dear friends, one has to admit that glowsticks are indeed a damn frightening object just as scary as a rainbow ... winkShine on cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
I'm not a very eloquent speaker. But I wanted to say something along these lines.
quote:
These promoters and many others believe that the most naive hope of the federal crackdown on nightclubs is that if you remove the venue, you will remove the problem. Even if there are no more official places to dance, wave glowsticks and hang out in chill rooms, that doesn't mean that fans of electronic music won't continue to dance and do drugs. Instead, the electronic music scene will simply go underground to find places to party. Nothing motivates a music subculture more than the potential to defy authority.
I heard that during the 80's drug usage went down because of the "Say no to drugs" campaign by the president's wife. If so, then it's true that you can't stop people from selling. But you can keep them from using. Stop the demand and the problem goes away. They want to dance, party, have fun. But they're making it so they can't.That one group was making it safe to party and the gov't stopped them from doing so.Don't you all just love the US zero-tolerance policy. A child can be a bully and not get in any trouble what-so-ever. But if he mentions "gun" then he's going to go wacko and kill everyone.I would think that these problems are not new. There are tons of $$ spent to dissect and analyze the success of various treatments. I find it amazing (not surprising) that no one learns.------------------"Except for that Mrs. Lincoln, How did you like the play?"

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
just to let the recrod show, i could buy harder and more dangerous drug in Jr High school and Highschool, than i could fing in the club i regulary attend. Zero Tolerance is the biggest bunch of bullshit! If i had to guess, only about 10 percent of the people brought in by the government actually care about ilimanating drugs here in the states. the rest do it to either stay in the public eye, or look good for voting and re-election purposes.You want to get people on your side, tell them youre going to start a "war" on drugs and crime. Then instead of stopping the 1,000,000 dollar shipments of cocain and crack flying in from Columbia, they bust a bunch of 15-25 yr olds looking to have a good time.Im not condonning or condemming drug use, but when their tatics start intruding on peoples' lifestyle, and their right to party, dance, spin, whatever...then it is going too far. Drug paraphanalia....Take away their pacifiers, and they wont do drugs...Fucking ridiculous....My $.02Super------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
as the fabulous quote goes..."there is no [whatever] which becomes safer when control over it is handed to criminals".Remember kids, glowsticks can kill! If you swallow enough of them in one sitting.mikeyB

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
So let me get this straight;glowstickers are giving the rave scene a bad rep for drugs?thats funny smileJosh

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I think it's more like..The gov't is using glowsticks as a weapon against their users(and the locations they are at)...heh *Shrug* As was stated..the "scene" never dies. It will always thrive..*shrug* people will have more house parties..or hold raves outside of county limits..in barns out in the middle of nowhere..the scene will find a location and will always exist in some form.. :P------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yeah - I was joking smileit is a bit of a shitter that the government is doing that, but if you are true to the scene you will not mind this...it will just force the parties to become more private, and we all know what that means - less dickheads at parties, and a much better community spirit. The only ppl that this will dissappoint are the ppl that find out about the parties they go to on MTV.com, the kind of ppl that think the way to judge the quality of a party is by how many pages the flyer has. These ppl will not like the 'underground'. It wont have enough flashing intelligent robotic lighting rigs for them, and sasha and digweed wont be playing - so it certainly wont be a good scene (for them).Who will it be good for? the ppl that love the music, that love to dance, and love to love. irrespective of the drug of choice.Also - as the mainstream high profile parties stop happening - the negative media-fueled stereotype will also evaporate, as the public eye is turned on surfers or goths or some other harmless subculture smile Let them think they have won, and enjoy the freedom faked sub-cultural death provides smileso - at the moment, In my mind all is well. just hope the bastards dont crack down like they do in some countries, with violent aggression.Josh

bhawkmember
48 posts

Posted:
My view on drugs is simple: What other people do is their business, I choose not to do drugs, but I dont care if other people do them.From what I gather, this seems to be the view of many ravers. As much as I hate this, IMHO it would be better if drugs had a bad reputation inside the rave comunity instead of coming from the government. I only hate this because I belive everyone should be able to do what they want as long it doesnt hurt anyone else. The reality of this however is that it is hurting the rave comunity.Thats just my $0.02 on the matter

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hehe - go the drug debate!anyhow - I think this is all just a bit of an attention seekign behaviour by the government - dont worry about it, treat it as you would a pruned tree. If this scene is going to be healthy, you gotta get rid of the dead wood. the dead wood being irresponsible drug users, and stoopid ravers who dont know a doof from a clap. winkJosh

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
So if glowsticks are outlawed does that mean we are free to spin fire anywhere we please?

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Love yer logic! smileJosh

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Amen to that!*lights up*------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Ya know when ever something like this happens I always see, to think that even though I am the oldest in my family that maybe I really do have a big brother? grin------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...