Forums > Social Chat > "I'm not in love with you!" (A silly insignificant rant)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I will be the first to admit that this is a silly little insignificant rant but it’s cracked me up so many times that I thought I’d throw it to the board.

{In fact, upon rereading this post I realize that it’s utterly inane. I know I try to usually post quality posts but this one is a bit weak frankly. If you’re really bored at work or stuck sick at home, read on… otherwise spend your time elsewhere. Hey, I’m being honest. }

This has happened many times and lately it seems to be becoming an epidemic. I’ll be sitting somewhere or in a group of friends (and this has actually happened in many different areas of my life) when some woman will walk up to me, pull me aside and give me the speech. Something like “I’m sorry but I’m really not interested” or “I just don’t think I’m ready for a relationship right now” or “I just don’t think it would work out between us”…

But here’s the kicker: It’s always some girl I have ABSOLUTELY NO interest in. I mean if you picked the girl at the party who I’d be the LEAST interested in, she’s the one who’s going to pull me aside and give me the speech.

So then I’m left with a few choices:
1) Politely try to explain that I wasn’t interested in the first place. Strangely, this usually ends up in an argument with her trying to convince me that I actually WAS interested despite what I may or may not have thought. This is extra funny as the girl is both trying to convince me that I am completely in love with her while explaining that she isn’t interested.

I’ve tried this one so many times that I then started giving up and going with option 2.

2) Heck, what do I care. I say something like “oh darn” and move on. It’s a quicker exit and she feels like she got to break up with someone for free. It’s a lie, but it gets me out of the situation faster. I’ve gotten “You’re a really sweet guy and I’m sure you’ll meet someone wonderful who will love you back.” Ug…

But there’s got to be a better way.

I mean, don’t get me wrong, I DO flirt. I have lots of close female friends. If one of THEM got mixed signals I’d certainly understand. I even spent lots of time playing with the lovely princesses throughout England and Scotland. If one of the lovelies that I had spent time, stayed with, even had tea with, got the wrong idea or rumors started I’d understand. But it’s always some RANDOMASS girl that I spoke to for like three minutes who I could NEVER be attracted to that’s decided that I’ve fallen helplessly in love with.

I guess in a way it offends me.

A) I’d like to think that I’m mature enough to express my feelings. If I like someone, I know that I’d be competent enough to make those feelings known and act on them. Does Randomass girl really think I’m so timid that I would only talk to her for 3 minutes if I really liked her? Wouldn’t I be trying to get phone numbers or arrange further contacts? Clearly she thinks I’m inept and is pitying me by letting me know of her lack of desire for her.

B) That’s SO egotistical! How full of yourself do you need to be to assume that I’m helplessly in love with you? Bah!

Like I said, it’s never the girls that I’m playfully flirting with. It’s never my friends whom I joke with. I’d UNDERSTAND that. That makes SENSE that they might get their signals crossed. But my high school best friends’ roommates’ ex-girlfriend whom I spoke to for like five minutes (actually true story of my most recent one)?! Gimme a break!

If I was interested in a girl, you’d know. Trust me.

See now I'll bet some of you are thinking "Gee, I'll bet this post is about me"... AHHHHH! The cycle never ends!!!! What was the Carly Simon song? "You're so vain... you probly think this post is about you."

So anyway, if there are any of you out there that I’ve never actually met but who are convinced that I’m madly in love with you... “I’m sorry, but you’re just my type of girl/guy.” And if you’re ever standing around somewhere and here the phrase “I think that guy from New York City has a crush on me”… feel free to giggle.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)enthusiast
456 posts

Posted:
I think NYC's problem is that he's just so warm and friendly. It's a way that most guys (straight or gay) act only toward people they're interested in "that way." Not because it's sexual or even flirtatious, but just because most guys don't bother to be warm to people who they're not interested in.

I'm rather experienced with the situation, and so I didn't take it wrong...just walked away saying "what a nice guy that NYC is." But 20 years ago I might have embarrassed myself. And from the other side, too: a perfectly lovely woman was positively MOONING over me the other night - she kept saying how beautiful my head was (I look like Mr. Clean, but with a bigger dome). She may have been smart; hard to tell. Nobody's smart when they're drunk.

Btw, Dyke Boy: I was proclaimed an "honorary Lesbian" back in college. Alas, I hung up the label "boy" a long time ago...

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Your soo right there Xopher about the whole issue

I've got the nickname Scubar

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i like to go with the 'what's your name again?' line. biggrin

unfortunately, if i have met these people a couple of times, they would know that i am really really bad at remembering names!! *dang*

i recently found out my friend's flatmate has a thing for me...so this thread may come in handy!! ubblol for example, i'll wait for him to say something to me - rather than go up to him with the “I’m sorry but I’m really not interested” speech!! hahaha!!! ubblol i wouldn't do that anyway - go up to him i mean. i can be shy eek that may come as a shock to some people i know!! hehe

so thanx for bringing this up nyc!!!

biggrin

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
*sigh* my friends are always complaining about this kind of things, and they'll ask me "what do you do in a situation like this, don't you hate it?" and well sorry guys, but I have no idea what u are going thru, I'm usually the one being rejected, of course I am not like the girls NYC has a problem with.

I asked out a guy last year and he said "No, sorry, I am not looking for anyone at the moment" and then a few days later I saw him with someone... that sux.

But yeah, sorry I cant help u out, I dont have random guys telling me they like me, in fact, I dont have any guys telling me they like me, lol. But I hope it stops, or u can come up with some great lines.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Hanz, mebbe he wasn't looking for anyone because he had her?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Tough one....catch 22 situation....

I typically advise honesty with tact in a situation like this. Mind you...I've been told I have no tact by some folks. smile

And Lightning? I've told men I was gay, and it's not worked either.....sometimes because they didn't believe me....sometimes because they didn't care. At the time, I was single.

Now? I'm with Mand, so not only can I tell them I'm gay, I can tell them I have a girlfriend....

Mind you, too many guys would come back with the cliche, "OOoooh, can I watch?"

rolleyes <>

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
*** Bumping this up for Lightning ***

I'm not in love with you dude.

And if you're not careful, the moles will get you.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
umm

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
No see... now you're gonna confuse everyone. Check your PMs. I already sent you love Molly!

Non-Https Image Link

[FOR MOLLY ONLY!]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
you can't threaten your adversaries with my mole NYC

hence the eyebrow

if she leaps to your defence, it will be when you least expect it

*runs away before this descends to ...
Non-Https Image Link

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

And if you're not careful, the moles will get you.

wink

yeah that right he my gimb boy not yours lightning
eek eek eek

i still getting acused of hitting on people
the lates was cause i spent 2 hours teaching some one soem new poi moves
what the [censored]??

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

That's OK, NYC. I'm seeing someone, and I'm really not that interested in you.
Non-Https Image Link

-Mike

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
[Takes the high ground and lets Lightning leave with his dignity. wink ]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Pffffft They both doth protest to much, methinks!!! It's a match made in heaven ubblove ubblol

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Sometimes people protest when they don't want something.

Like the RNC protests. I don't think we all have secret crushes on Bush just cuz we protest a lot. frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
But brainstormer thats just how you are ?. (takes a long time to figure you out )

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Ha!!! How egotistical of those girls!!!! LMAO, pity them NYC obviously if they had another brain it would be lonely!
Luv and hugs and no ego!
Liv

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Just so you know. I don't really like boys. I was just pretending to like you to get cheap laughs. And i definitely couldn't fancy a science teacher tongue

*has no understanding of irony*

Meh

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
At least Cantus has an original rejection...

-Mike

Page: