ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so in less than two months one of my closest friends is getting married, as father of the bride (shes 35 im 23 u do the math) i have to give a speech, its not going to be a traditional wedding by any means either. the ceremony will be formal and all that but after there will be music, pixies dancing (her dance students...), capoeira and fire twirliings.

being my first wedding speech im hoping ppl may have a few pointers as to what works well what not to do etc. the only public speaking ive had to do is for uni lectures and i usually start that off with the notes are at the front if you dont want to stay its not compulsary so either leave now or stay in your seat for the next hour .... im thinking i need something a tad different

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Dont insult the mother in law...thats always a big No No.

If you want everyone to never talk to you again, simply read the script off a pair of knickers and say that you and the bride were writing the script last night and they were the only thing you could get your hands on..

Hang on..im confused...

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Point out that Mother In Law is an anagram of Women Hitler

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
How odd, one of my closet friends just told me she's getting married. Fancy that Though I have no official part, at least I wasn't told anything as of yet.

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
get absolutely smashed (but im barely standing - but not past out) then you can say anything and everyone will hate you.

oh wait, you dont want everyone to hate you , ay?

start by saying how beutiful the bride looks,and just end with a good phase.

all the advice of a 19 year old!

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
make it funny... but not distasteful, there is nothing worse than being board during a speech, or feeling uncomfertable for the person giving ther speech because they are trying to be funny but yet not pulling it off...

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Speek about how you watched the newlyweds relationship bloom. Bring out naked baby pictures and K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple Stupid!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Ditto what Valura said...If you want to go for funny, keep the offensive stuff for later on, when you aren't being recorded on video while hooked up to a Mike.

Talk about fictional past boyfriends and how they all shed a tear when they heard she was getting married, then shed a small tear...(Subtle, but not TOO obvious).

Bring up embarassing stories about her doing silly, dumb things, but not rude or distasteful things.

Have a list of thr new inlaws and her close family and refer to them by name, if the names are easy to pronounce...if not, leave it alone, don't attempt it.

Um...Have a physcial joke or two, maybe a can of whipped cream as a final wedding gift, don't infer anything, just having it full view for the whole speech, and then at the end, excuse yourself, as you've forgotten to wrap their pressie!

Or somthing along those lines...

Hope this can help.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
How goes the speech writing, Ben-j-amen?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
hunting through our being mine and the grooms collective video archives ....... ive got a few from when the bride and i where trying out new acrobatic tricks that are quite funny stacks but i dont know if the groom would see the humour of it. the speach itself is going very very very slowly i still have a few weeks to go ..... the brides dress isnt made yet and she went to see it today and the colours (its an oriental design) isnt what she imagined it would be so she is going to get it remade with different material ...... all the usual madness ive come to expect from her

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
keep it lighthearted and joyess, dont go up there and tell embarrasing stories of the bucks weekend or when you and the groom drank underage.
slip in a few funny jokes, that everyone in the room could understand, or at least get why it is funny, but have a few nice serious remarks as well.

if your feeling creative, why not use interpretive dance to communicate your speech! maybe not.....

if your used to uni presentations, i would advise that a powerpoint presentation is not a good idea.

good luck.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.