Forums > Social Chat > How do I teach my friends about fire safety?

Login/Join to Participate

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Okay, so tonight we had a fire to burn some garbage, and they couldn't get it going, just had some little smoldering bits of card board. So one of my friends goes and takes my lawn mower gas and opens it up and chucks some on the smoldering bits nearly setting his leg on fire. Later when the fire is dying, they go and steal the gas, and keep it away from me, open it up and chuck some more of it not once but twice from the container right on to the flame. My two questions are:
Why aren't these people dead yet?
How can I teach them some fire safety that they'll actually listen too?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
How old are they first...?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
There 14 and 15 like me. Sorry about that I was just so caught up in how stupid that was.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Then there is very little you can do to them as a group that will change their minds, bar an accident itself.

You can try to expose them as individuals to news reports and descriptions (with photo's) of what happens to burns victims.

If there is any way of getting one of the ringleader types (you knwo who they are in the group) into a burns unit to see what happens when people get brunt that would eb a good thing too.

The most importnant thing is not to tell them "don't do that its' stupid and dangerous", as they won't listen to anyone who says that sort of thing.

You have to expose them to what the results of their actions might be and let them make the connection.

At this age, authority and rules don't tend to get respected much...as your example helps to show.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Learn by doing ehh

Ya for an age group between 0 and dead, there isnt much you can do.

The best approach is what Charles said.

Dont let them near fire alone. I mean, if you are more responsible than they, watch them, constantly.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
the best thing to do if you cant stop them is to make sure you know what to do if one of them gets hurt. Also make sure your whaching what they do so you don't get caught in a dangerous situation.

I know your problem alot of my friends drink and go swinming and the don't really listen when i tell them how dangerous it is thats why i got my broze medal in life saving and i don't drink when i think that they might get hurt.

so if you cant do any thing to make them stop just make suer you know what to do if some thing goes wroung.

missie

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
teach by example...or a big stick.

Freyrmember
22 posts

Posted:
Semi related question...

I went to the firehouse next to where I work and asked the firefighters there how I could learn about the best precautions to take to ensure safety while firedancing. The first reaction,when I said firedancing, was cockeyed stares. So I explained firedancing with poi to them and I got a unanimous response of DON'T DO IT!

Seems my attempts as being safe are being snuffed out here. Any suggestions on where to go now that the people in charge of fire safety have told me to shove off?

Fire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men. - Seneca (5BC-65AD), Epistles

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
have someone whom they think is dorky to tell them about how cool they think it is.
perhaps that will work .
good on you for giving a ****, even if they don't.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Freyrmember
22 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by bender™:
have someone whom they think is dorky to tell them about how cool they think it is.
perhaps that will work .
good on you for giving a ****, even if they don't.

Based on their reactions, i am that dorky person...

I give a **** cause its my a**, they don't cuase its not theirs...

Perhaps teh Fire Marshall or Chief... btw, for the Americans of the board, what's with the NFPA CHARGING for their info! Protect the rich, let the poor burn!!!! Damn, I need to relocate...

Fire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men. - Seneca (5BC-65AD), Epistles