Forums > Social Chat > If you were ever attacked...new poll

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Just a thought i had walking back from Spitz tonight..
i always have my globalls wrapped round my hands in my hoodie pocket so in case i ever get attacked..i can 5 beat uppercut them upon their chinny chin chin.

thankfully it has never happened and *touch wood* it wont.

anyway, back to theoriginal question..

If you were ever attacked at night on your own..which out of the folling would you prefer to have with you?

fire chains
beamers
fire staff
aerotech globalls..

i think beamers would be my choice.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by pounce:
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
Sorry, but this is wrong. It comes down to the threat to the defender. Both the actual physical threat and the perceived threat. If the defender can justify using a weapon against a violent assailant who he/she was in mortal fear of, then using a weapon is justified. Hence, Justifiable Use of Force, not Excessive Force.

ah yes, in theory. but in reality it rarely happens. most of the time it's just you and your attacker there. and if the attacker ends up dead and you're standing there with a weapon in your hand, guess who's gonna look suspicious.

Obviously you are going to look suspicious. However, if you can show that you were in fact in fear for your life, or there was imminent threat to your own person and that you responded with Justifiable Force than you will most likely not face prosecution.
However, if you beat someone to death with a firestaff just because he bullied you, you will go to jail.
I'm basing this on what I have been taught as a PPCT Defensive Tactics Instructor! This is an internationally recognized Use of Force/Defensive Tactics System taught to and utilized by Law Enforcement/Military/Security.

[ 16. October 2003, 16:57: Message edited by: Patrick ]

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
Right, well, rather than being just an opinion poll, I can tell you what I did:

Just been out to spin (because I failed to go to Clapham earlier). Decided to go to the park near my flat, partly as a result of not wanting any more hassle with the police (see here for why I might think I would get hassle), and had a good first burn. As I'm in the middle of my second, a bunch of kids come up, and I'm screaming at them not to stand and gawp where I may do my next move, because where they're standing is dangerous. They walk around and find my paraffin and other sets of poi, and start being rude about the way I'm doing stuff. I ask them to f**k off if they're going to be rude, and they decide to turn nasty. So first I know of it is that I can see them (badly because of a distinct lack of night vision after spinning fire) picking up and throwing stones at me. I (stupidly, I know) threaten them with the fire. They run away, pausing to turn round and throw stones every so often. This goes on for a little while, and eventually I start dipping to do my fourth and last spin. I see one of the older ones coming towards me, carrying what looks like a large piece of wood. He lobs it in my general direction, which point I realise that it's the sign telling a street name that he's obviously removed. Two others are bringing binbags, and as they move, I can hear glass clanking. They throw both of these in my direction. Luckily both miss. I'm a bit riled by now, and I ask them to kindly foad. They threaten to beat me up now, and steal my kit, and I ask them what good would it do them? They realise that this plan of action is not particularly a good one, and start asking me if I have any money. I do, but I lie, and it's all in Euros anyway, not much good to them.

I do my fourth spin and pack up pretty much straight after doing it, carrying the dunk with the paraffin. It's only about a km back to my house from this park, not far, but I was looking over my shoulder all the way (as I was leaving the park, several stones zinged past my head). I did get one of them in the cheek before. Of course, even if there were sensible policing round here, which there obviously isn't, there isn't a great deal that would happen to these kids, because they're too young. So, as a gang, they'll continue to do what the **** they like, terrorising who they like. However, I do now know what my response to any police who try and stop me doing it outside my flat will be...

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think that Beamers would inflict the most damage, however, you risk them snapping back and hitting you in the process.

Once when I was walking through a particularly bad neighborhood at night alone to get to a gig (yeah, I'm an idiot), I assembled my staff and carried it with me in hopes that it would at the very least keep me from getting mugged at knife-point (there's just no good way to intimidate someone who has a gun).

But the staff is light and has a wick (i.e. padding) on the end, so I can't imagine it would do much damage.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

AutumnLyfemember
44 posts

Posted:
I would have to say that whatever art we each have been practicing could be deadly but since I carry a knife around my ankle or thigh, that would do the most damage. Where I live you can never be to careful but my intentions would never be to kill anyone, maybe just to make them miss work the next day.
Autumn

[ 26. October 2003, 02:21: Message edited by: AutumnLyfe ]

There are no ordinary moments.

Alumitymember
30 posts

Posted:
I think I'd rather have my fire chains with me. Just because I'm so used to having them with me anyway, and I know I could do some pretty nasty damage with them.

there'll be no angels

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
As a poi-ist I'd want a staff defo. A better weapon for defence, attacking & keeping distance between me & the muppet who is trying to attack.

Maybe with a beamer head attached at one end tho

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
Doesn't help if they're throwing stones.

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

AustinBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
Poi would be great as you could get some real speed behind them although the problem being is they could get tangled or I feel you would only get one hit.

But I must vote staff as it has more range, more weighty made of hard materials

Shivian member
31 posts

Posted:
fire staff, definitly

But I don't want to go among mad people, Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that, said the Cheshire Cat: we're all mad here.

--Alice in Wonderland

Page: