Forums > Social Chat > If you were ever attacked...new poll

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Just a thought i had walking back from Spitz tonight..
i always have my globalls wrapped round my hands in my hoodie pocket so in case i ever get attacked..i can 5 beat uppercut them upon their chinny chin chin.

thankfully it has never happened and *touch wood* it wont.

anyway, back to theoriginal question..

If you were ever attacked at night on your own..which out of the folling would you prefer to have with you?

fire chains
beamers
fire staff
aerotech globalls..

i think beamers would be my choice.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Definately beamers. Done enough damage to myself with them in the past to know how effective they can be.

Incidently, has anyone ever been stopped and questioned by Mr Plod for carrying an offensive weapon, i.e. bloody long stick.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

caniffisSILVER Member
60 posts

Posted:
Deffinatly the staff!
for starters it has the look of deffence top it, and it can be any length.
comments have been made as to it beeing too long, but this is not a problem if you know how to use it, and if you are half decent with you body!
the truth though is that your body is actually the best wepon as you can do many more things with it than poi or staff can do, if your really good you can break staffs and catch poi, but a body has four limbs to work with not 2.
just for refference though propoerly trained quarterstaffers can hold off 5 sword attackers! this is due to the abillity to use both ends of the staff and the middle as well as being able to keep the attackers at a distance!

P.S just for fun though Fire Bull Whip would deffinatly be cool though!!!

What you don't know won't hurt you? well i intend to get to know as much as possible so that i can make sure no one else has to so they carn't get hurt.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by caniffis:

comments have been made as to it beeing too long, but this is not a problem if you know how to use it, and if you are half decent with you body!

my comment about the lengthof a staff being a probelm, was ained more at those who are not that aquainted with staff as i am, i am used to 2, 4 and 6foot staffs and battons! no i would prefer a 6ft 3section staff as that is what i am training ain at the mo, and am pretty good, i have mastered most of the basics, and most of teh advanced and can hold myself against 4 attackers.....but yeah i would still chose the staff!

infact i would give them the staff and say
"ther now its even"

and fight them...yes i have done this before, and its been OK!

later days guys

ps sorry for soundsing big headed!

Step (el-nombrie)

pantsonfirethe man with the flaming pants
148 posts

Posted:
Yeah, staff would be good, i'm not one to fight though, although on the other extreame you do have a bottle of flamible liquid and a lighter right!!!! although i would never do that because only spinners deserve cool scars, (and oh yeah that is way inhuman) !!!!!
PS I'll going to byron tonight on a fire spinning adventure!!!! camping the weekend!!! woooooooooooo

It's all good

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Whenever I know I will be walking by myself I carry a carabiner in my pocket to use like brass knuckles. I think I would use that over any staff just because it can't be pulled out of my hands (and if the person sues you it is easier to form a legal defence when the weapon you use for self defence isn't an obvious weapon, and im not confident with my staff handling abilitys in a combat situation (I would say anyone who doesn't have training and thinks they can handle a staff well in a combat situation have misplaced confidence)

So even if I had my staff, I think I would toss it out of reach and resort to my fists untill I find a route of escape.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Hummmm, rather morbid subject....

I remeber a girl posting onhere a while ago that some had tried to mug her after fire spinning, I think she twatted him with a stick and ran away.

Theres self defence, and then theres combat. For SD anything as long as it stops your attacker for long enough to get away. For combat, id have to take staff (did quite a lot of quarterstaff before firestaff) as I know it will quite happily cope with more than one attacker at once. As Terry Pratchet say "Anything that cant be delt with by a couple of whacks from 6 feet of solid oak is probibly immune to magic anway." Id prolly go for a light-ish toothpick style bo.

It always comes to me that a chain-whip (9 section whip) is very, very nasty and can be carried concealed, but for SD its hard to justify its use, and as pointed out above is not so good for defence. maybe a nice jo-stick, fast, hard and not so much extreeme injury time.

Having said all this, dont carry weapons, its a very stupid idea, all swords are double edged and you can get very hurt, prosicuted or both. Rake thier instep and run I say.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
poi, but for a very different reason to everyone else...
if i started swinging my poi, I´d probably beat myself up pretty quickly (unintentionally of course), thus confusing the attackers tremendously and weirding them out completely so they'd wander off to try and find someone normal to mug...

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
i would use my ninja-rubber-chicken-of-death!

Non-Https Image Link

its very versatile.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Oakenmember
34 posts

Posted:
Hey kids.... weird thread, but I'll bite...

It was about a year ago. I was twirling by a lake on a saturday night, just me and my dog.. some skaters came up to bum a smoke, (I was not twirling but had just soaked), there was four of them so i handed out 4 smokes and asked how they were doin, all that... One guy started ****in with my dog so I told him, blah blha blah, dont **** aroun' man! Very quickly my new skater friends became very irate and I was preparing to start swingin... I remembered that I did in fact have a 6 ft flaming pole of mass destruction at my feet so I lit it up real quick, spun off a monster fireball, (fresh soak remember) and advanced on them... hehe.... there was no fight.. they took off... I got paranoid after that though that they were gonna come back and shoot me or somethin so I left but, ya know.... alls well that ends well....

moral of story.... Fight first with you aura. if that dont work, do it the ol' fashioned way and break some shit...

oh, and I defianately would have to go with staff... all the way...

One Love, Dont forget.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Dentrassi:
i would use my ninja-rubber-chicken-of-death!

Non-Https Image Link

its very versatile.

*lip sync out of time with words....*

has i laught at your chicken, i will kill you like a cow kills a fly, with a swish....you have no houor, prepear to face me!

Step (el-nombrie)

pyratemember
23 posts

Posted:
Staff might be best just because few people would probably even start, and it's easy to use. It's hard to stop a stronger opponent from taking it away and using it on you though. I'd actually prefer a shorter, lighter sick because it's faster and harder to grab. Poi, meteors, three-section staff, and rope dart all have potential, if you can fight with them (Not the same skill as twirling, and don't fool yourself.)

If the question was what's best to have if attacked, and fantasy aside, I'd definitely take a can of pepper spray or some other form of liquid knuckles. I was the target of a mugging-gone-badly once, and while I was armed with a 3 1/2" knife which I easily could have cut the guy up with, I decided the risk of legal trouble and the risk of accidently killing him were too high, and I fought the guy barehanded. I got lucky and managed to stay on my feet and fighting long enough for him to get scared and run away.
I'd often thought about how I could use that knife if attacked (lived in a rough neighborhood), but when it came down to it I didn't want to be responsible for the severe harm I'd probably have done him (he may be a mugger but he's still a fellow human), or become a target of a drive-by shooting by his friends. Escalating a fight by pulling a potentially lethal weapon is bad. Even if you can control your weapon well enough to not kill someone, if they take it from you you might have a tough time convincing them that they should use it gently. If ever faced with that situation again, I'd like to have a weapon that's effective, easy to use, and does no permanent damage. Pepper spray is the best self defense weapon I know of.

Point of sanity for if you're ever mugged: Remember that there's nothing in your wallet/bag/purse worth getting killed over. Run to a place with lots of people. They won't actually help you, as I learned the hard way, but if you're lucky it will scare your attacker away. Dropping your wallet while you run might save your ass. Just make sure your attacker sees it. Remember that if you pull a weapon you are not extremely competent with and willing to use mercilessly, it will probably get taken away and used on you. Fight as a last resort, but if it looks inevitable, attack first. I ended up unlucky(stupid?) and had to fight, then ended up very lucky and got out of it alive and only a little hurt.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i love perusing the past threads that have made their way into the 7 and 8 pages on here. i find such interesting topics that have been neglected!

so, to answer the question what would i prefer to have with me....

none of the above. i've been heavy into self-defense for a few years now and have done research in the area of SD and will hopefully be beginning trainging as an instructor soon. i would HIGHLY recommend it to everyone, especially the girls/women, cause just doing it is not only practical but so completely empowering. and for those of you who wonder about the bigger factors like weapons and multiple assailants, they have classes in those too. my last class i took was defense against mutiple assailants, so i can kick 6 peoples' asses all at the same time and i've taken classes on how to defend myself against someone with a weapon too. i'd prefer using my own physical skills against using a weapon any day.

for those of you who are interested in SD classes, the most practical and useful classes tend to be the full-impact classes, like Model Mugging or IMPACT. and they have chapters all over the world, including London, Brisbane, NYC, British Columbia, Los Angeles, DC, etc. check out impactpersonalsafety.com or bamm.org

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Apparently they have a self defense tool you can buy in south africa which is a small club, pepper spray, an alarm and a tazer all in one. (Tazers aren't nearly as effective as pepper spray BTW)

Captain HazzardBRONZE Member
Ninja (shhhh, don't tell)
420 posts

Posted:
Astar, how do you know that? you sound like you have used em both. harsh
in SA they've got those flame throwing cars as well, to stop car jacking. or is that an urban myth?

I only wanted to be 16... and free

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
not an urban myth. some guy [possibly a deranged engineering student] came up with it a couple of years ago, but i have a feeling there were legality complications.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Insanitymember
22 posts

Posted:
I must say, firestaff, because you can own a group of people with one, it won't just get tangled up in their arms as they pommle you, and you can whack em good with it. Plus the fact that recently I was attacked by a group of 14 people, and i was pommled into unconsiousness, and they continued to beat me as I lay limp, and motionless on the pavement. I was saved by a nice lady who came out of her house and scared the group of people away with a paintball gun, because it was dark i guess they thought it was real. I then stumbled incoharently three houses up the street and colapsed, next thing I remember i'm in the hospital getting stitches in my face, and having x-rays of my broken jaw, and nose. so that's why I wish that i were carrieing a staff that night. I don't think it would have been quite so bad if i had fire.

A feeling that sears my soul,One that burns my mindIt grips my heartAnd breaks my bodyNot madnessOr fearBut one of warmthFor my essenceHas been preservedWithin the golden sanctionOf your heartInsanityDarkness Embrace

Fitriamember
97 posts

Posted:
I would have to say poi...I now know a few freaky arsed moves that would scare the crap out of anyone.

Although if I had a more extensive choice in weaponery I would have to say that there is this guy that takes a flame thrower to light his staff where we go every week to twirl.

I would have his flame thrower over all the equipment on the earth if I had the choice!

But I do agree that the getting a hit in then getting the hell away theory is the best option.

Take care all!

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
> If you were ever attacked at night on your own..

Well, we wern't quite on our own when we were spinning in town in a park a few months ago, it wasn't even quite dark yet, when a drunken rugby-sized top-less bloke ran towards Ben [King of Bongo] and started attacking/tackling him (supposedly jokingly but it was rather aggressive). Ben can probably give a better account of what happened. Ben ??
The situation sorted itself out reasonably quickly and ben wasn't hurt toooo badly (i think), but afterwards i was wondering:
I we had smacked the dude over the head with a staff out of defence, then *we* would probably be in shit, because either the rest of his gang would have joined in, or we would have been done for attacking the guy (the police was watching the whole thing).

Its like, if you shot a burglar in your house out of selfdefence, you'd probably be done for man slaughter ?! (i may be wrong here, but its rather hard to prove anything afterwards)

Any thoughts anyone ?

Mike

SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
When i went to montreal a couple of weeks ago, i took my little 2 foot metal staff everywhere i went. it was (and still is- but only till this weekend) still unburned, and whenever i walked anywhere that i felt a little uneasy, i would just twirl it, and no one ever came near me. except for this one guy who tried to get me to go home with him, but i just held up my staff like i was going to hit him with it, and he backed off. but now that i actually know what i'm doing with it, and not to mention that i have a much bigger staff made of solid wood, i would have to say that.

btw, you can buy mace at a camping store. if it's illegal to sell, (as it is in canada) look for bear mace or dog repellent. same shit, different name.

Noir_deluxemember
58 posts

Posted:
I would think that I would want a staff.... For the simple reason, that it's long and kinda hard. It would hurt to beat someone with, and from a distance I might add! Now I know people are prolly thinking, "well you can hit people with poi from far away, ya moron." Well they can always grab the ball and then break the chain or whatever. With a staff, you can poke, and it's easier to aim for... Vulnerable areas. Just smac smack smack! THey is down for the count. And then, anyways if u are carrying around a staff, people aren't gonna run up and be like, give me your money. ANd uh, drop your stick. LOL

Noir_DDELUX

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Psi:
> If we had smacked the dude over the head with a staff out of defence, then *we* would probably be in shit, because either the rest of his gang would have joined in, or we would have been done for attacking the guy (the police was watching the whole thing).

Its like, if you shot a burglar in your house out of selfdefence, you'd probably be done for man slaughter ?! (i may be wrong here, but its rather hard to prove anything afterwards)

Any thoughts anyone ?

Mike

very true. that's one of the reasons why i posted about not using weapons but my own physical abilities. i learned of a lot of cases in which a woman was attacked and defended herself against rape successfully, but got arrested and prosecuted for beating up or killing her attacker. it's so sad, but it happens.

so ya, just a warning against using any weapons against someone. if you use a weapon, even in self-defense, it ups the severity/punishment if you are convicted....

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Kenshinmember
26 posts

Posted:
Most likely staff, sheerly because you can work up some real power in it... or just hit the nose, then the groin, then the nose, then the... you get the idea right?

If all else fails though, I'd for the Musabetsu Kakutou Ryuu's ultimate technique - Panicked Flight From the Enemy!

~*-Rob-*~

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
yuh, i posted it in a thread a while back, drunk dude rugby tackled me to the ground and tried to run off with my staff, i was so bewildered that i didnt know what to do until i saw my precious staff being taken away at high speed at which point i ran after him and jumped on him, psi and tim jumped on him too and we got the staff back.
he then ran off yelling "yeah!" and none of us followed him.
it was just very strange.
had a big bruise on my butt the next day!
but the incident was so random it was funny!

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'd just like to step in here and point out that there have been a number of posts here along the lines of "now I can use staff" or something similar. Please don't think for a minute that staff spinning skills will be of any use to you in terms of Self defense. They won't. Look at any decent Martial Art form with staff - and Wushu doesn't count, it's not really a martial art anymore - and you'll be hard pressed to find any similarities with fire-staff. If you just swing a staff at someone who's expecting it - e.g. someone who's trying to attack/myg you - it's remarkably easy to deal with and they can easily get a staff off you.

Also, I'd like to re-state what many people have said (including me earlier):
- If at all possible don't get into a fight, let them take your wallet, walkman, whatever, possesions are nothing compared to your safety.
- If you are attacked, it really is best to not use a weapon of any sorts. It'll only harm your defence. There are even cases now where people who know a martial art have been attacked and then prosecuted for using their skills to defend themselves a little too well/as they were meant to be used. It's not fair, but it happens.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmmm I choose my fire hakisack!

I would first throw the newly lit sack at their head which would spray a small fireball of kero around their face then I would throw myself at them, teeth nashing and fingers clawing trying to tear their flesh off in great chunks!!!! Anybody that would stick around to fight someone that savage has got to have a death wish!!

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Durbs:

- If you are attacked, it really is best to not use a weapon of any sorts. It'll only harm your defence. There are even cases now where people who know a martial art have been attacked and then prosecuted for using their skills to defend themselves a little too well/as they were meant to be used. It's not fair, but it happens.

Sorry, but this is wrong. It comes down to the threat to the defender. Both the actual physical threat and the perceived threat. If the defender can justify using a weapon against a violent assailant who he/she was in mortal fear of, then using a weapon is justified. Hence, Justifiable Use of Force, not Excessive Force.
That being said, I agree that just because someone thinks they can swing a staff or poi doesn't mean they will be able to use it in a self defense situation. I've taken part in defensive tactics situations where multi level badasses freeze when faced with a violent in your face scenario.
Unless you have absolutely no choice...turn and run.
Cheers!

[ 15. October 2003, 22:46: Message edited by: Patrick ]

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
absolutely.

my tai kwan do teacher basically said to never use any of the fancy stuff he taught us in a real fight - just use the fastest and quickest (and perhaps dirtiest) way possible to open up your escape.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
Sorry, but this is wrong. It comes down to the threat to the defender. Both the actual physical threat and the perceived threat. If the defender can justify using a weapon against a violent assailant who he/she was in mortal fear of, then using a weapon is justified. Hence, Justifiable Use of Force, not Excessive Force.

ah yes, in theory. but in reality it rarely happens. most of the time it's just you and your attacker there. and if the attacker ends up dead and you're standing there with a weapon in your hand, guess who's gonna look suspicious. just like in theory we say a woman's dress or sexual background is not important to whether she was presently assaulted, but it's taken into account all the time. look at the kobe bryant case. did you know that 49 states have rape shield laws that limit the evidentiary use of a survivor's prior sexual history as part of an effort to undermine the credibility of the survivor's testimony (only arizona doesn't have a rape shield law). but it's still used all the time in court cases. justice isn't blind, folks, as much as we want it to be. there's prejudice everywhere.

**giggles**

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by pounce:
that's one of the reasons why i posted about not using weapons but my own physical abilities. i learned of a lot of cases in which a woman was attacked and defended herself against rape successfully, but got arrested and prosecuted for beating up or killing her attacker. it's so sad, but it happens.

So true when it comes to weapons, you cannot guarantee that the weapon you produce is not going to be turned against you. I know people who can wrest a staff from an attacker with great ease. Never attack first with a weapon unless you are completely committed and know how to use it to it's full advantage.

However and unfortunately in the uk if you have had any form of training in a martial art or combat technique you are considered to be experienced and be able to show restraint.

A friend of mine, a slight young lady, was grabbed when she was 18. she was a black belt in Tai Kwon Do. She broke one of the attackers arms and broke the others ribs by throwing him into a lamp post.

Both of these guy's were over twice her height, and at least twice her weight...

She was arrested and charges were started against her for GBH. That was until her mum turned up at the police station, pointed out that this would be a murder + rape investigation if she hadn't been able to defend herself and scared the sh1t out of the duty clerk and Chief inspector!

In the UK you can ONLY claim self defence if you use force which a "Reasonable man/woman" would deem appropriate to the situation. And if you are trained you are EXPECTED to be able to show restraint and incapacitate your attacker in such a way that the force is not considered excessive.

IMHO this is comeplete and utter cr@p, and the only way to deal with someone determined to attack you is use everything at your disposal to put the guy on the floor for as long as it take you to run away...

Personally I'm trained (although not to a high level) in Kempo Jujitsu (the same stuff they teach to Navy Seals in the US and the Special forces in the uk). it's a completely defensive form of marital arts, but involves the most aggressive body mechanics from Kempo, and uses jujitsu to put your attacker in the most vunerable position.

So I'd put the guy on the floor, break his arm or leg, and then run as fast as my chubby little legs will carry me!

PsyB.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
personally, I think that is half the reason you are advised to run if you are attacked - to protect you legally. If you were running - you must have been scared, right?

On the upshot, if you are attacked in your house in Texas, you can kill the person outright and nary a question will be asked as long as everything looks reasonable. a cop once told me that if I ever killed someone on my porch, I should drag him inside before I call the police.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Page: