Forums > Social Chat > If you were ever attacked...new poll

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Just a thought i had walking back from Spitz tonight..
i always have my globalls wrapped round my hands in my hoodie pocket so in case i ever get attacked..i can 5 beat uppercut them upon their chinny chin chin.

thankfully it has never happened and *touch wood* it wont.

anyway, back to theoriginal question..

If you were ever attacked at night on your own..which out of the folling would you prefer to have with you?

fire chains
beamers
fire staff
aerotech globalls..

i think beamers would be my choice.

sola_sarahBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
i also agree with beamers...

but my staff would work well too....actually...i really doubt anyone would try to attack me while i was carrying my staff. specially when it is in its case.

hahhah...someone would have to be crazy to come near me when i'm carrying my staff bag. it could be anything...a rifle, a martial arts stick of sorts, a bazooka....think of the possiblities!

-sarah-

one thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. -BOB MARLEY-

dj_gooseSunburnt Bournda Beach Bum
157 posts

Posted:
definatly my staff, the amount of damage most twirlers could inflict on another person if they really had to witht eh speeds that you can get out of staff would be huge.....not saying that i have ever thought about beating someone up with my staff, nor am i saying that it is a good thing to do, but if it came down to it it might come in handy

cheers

Look to the moon, look to the stars, and if you still can't find happyness...find a bar!!!

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
staff definatly ! but its far less likely to be attacked holding a big metal stick than having hands in pockets with beamers or whatever

but if i was attacked with a staff in hand id feel far safer with a staff or mace would be cooler infact mace and a staff would be best

where the hell do you buy mace from anyway?

sorry i wasnt allowed that answer as an option was i?

final answer

STAFF

although beamers are pretty nasty do get whacked in the head with !

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'm not hitting people with my sticks.

Although they have in their time taken some concrete related punishment at the hands of mistress dizzybird. And been spunned by children & spiral alike.....

Ok so I choose staffs. But can I use someone elses staffs?

I'd like to hit my attacker with that huge staff bag belonging to Miss Bam of the Bam variety.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Small Girl, you buy mace from Europe....

You could probably buy it in London though if you ask around.

Meh

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
a staff bag wouldn't do much amage on its own, makre sure there is a staff inside ! or several stick type things like normal everyday sicks for example

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
christ i only had one beer and i am incapable of spelling and i am talkin uter noncence at half one in the morning and there is a big phat birthday cake of my mums sitting there call "eat me.......eat me now" noooooooooooooo it tell you i'm on a diet GO AWAY ! i dont even like cake of your kind !

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Flameflingermember
27 posts
Location: A mythical continent of fire and brimstone. (Oh an...

Posted:
yep definitly staff - or those things that beders uses - the sectioned staff, sorta like nunchucks but with three sections or the staff and two chains between them.

Oouuuh baby!!@!

We are all in the gutter. But some of us are trying to set it alight...You can't be a proper country without a beer. Possibly an airline and a rugby team, but at the very least you need a beer.Eat Well, Stay Fit, Die Anyway

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Beamers for sure. Sounds like they can casue alot of damage. Broken noses, stiches, maybe a light concussion.

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I'd say that a staff is probably the best fire weapon of self-defense.

Raph

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Tough decision. Beamers are very, very, VERY painful, but I would think the adrenalin rush they got the first time you hit them would make them just lunge through whatever you tried to do to them. I have been learning a little Wushu staff, and I have to say I would feel much safer with my staff.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
My answer isn't up there: long legs

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I dont know.. probably Staff to prevent the attack but if i was being attacked them beamers could do some nasty damage.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
yes dom. long legs.

the problem with a staff would be that the assailant would find it much easier to catch the staff off you and rip it away, then use it on you as it is a solid ridgid structure, whereas something like poi, when caught pivot around the new middle then come down on their ahdns, and anyway, if they only caught one...you could twat 'em one in the mouch with the other.

actually...a staff and paraffin would be good...i could fire breathe at them when i can guarentee would scare the shit out of them.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Apparently the best way to use a staff/stick for self defence is to hold it with the front hand high and acting as a guide while the rear hand jerks quickly backwards and forwards.

So it acts like a giant sewing machine needle aimed at the face/vulnerable parts of the assailant. This also makes it very difficult for the staff to be taken off you.

As for beamers, I'd be inclined to wrap them so the chain is about 4", and use them in a cosh type manner, again going for the head.

As others have pointed out, your legs are the most useful thing, leg it at the first opportunity.

The main thing with self defence is to keep it simple and run as soon as you can.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Necrusmember
113 posts

Posted:
I think the staff would be the best choice...

Only by the looks of it,the "attackers" would beat it...But it's a little difficult to carry it all the time wherever you go...Unless you re a hero from Sierra's Text Adventures or Guybrush Threepwood from Monkey Island
In that case you could carry all the things!

Metal Rulezzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
hehehe I am not a big guy, but I aint a small guy, however I have a 3 section staff that I usually carry in my backpack. Now my back pack isnt deep enough to completly enclose the two main staff sections. So basically if someone tries to jump me, I can pull those pretty damn fast and cause some injury. A section in each hand, just like my SCA days.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Jamesomember
7 posts

Posted:
how come no one has mentioned fire swords?????? as if they wouldnt be the be all and end all in a fight? metal, sword shaped flaming thing coming at you? id run for my life, but that is prob the best defence to start off with... running

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
id say the mind and the mouth combined...
never failed me before. if they do happen to fail, then legs, although im not that fast a runner......
then id say my fire poi (chain not cable) because they look very nasty, all black and silver with burn marks all over em! if you didnt know, theyd look like painful torture instruments. ooowwwweeee!
hopefully, noone here will ever have to use their fire aparatus as a self defence though

Fire... A bushmans telly

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Good boy Ray

Bammy

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

soldaribusy-tofu!
133 posts

Posted:
Hmm, let's see... I do sword fighting on a regular bassis, and on one such occasion, one of my friends mentionned poi was for girlies and sissies; I offered to take him on.

Now I havent been doing poi for that long, but in 2 seconds time I had wrapped my chain solidly around his blade and proceeded to give him a severe plush-poi beating with the free one. Amazing how fast these little things gather-up momentum...

So if I were to be attacked in a dark, escape-free alley, after warning them three times to back off, I would chose to retaliate with poi. Or I'd offer them a free fire-show in exchange for some peace and quiet. After all, it looks so cool!

there is no better way to say I love you than with the gift of a spatula!

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
OK, basic self-defense tells us the Staff will win, and I'm not being biased against poi or beamers, just 'cause I can't use them. Let's look at the advantages:
1) The Staff is an obvious accessory. A potential attacker would see this and think twice. Sure it's nice to have the element of surprise if you get jumped and pull something small and lethal outta your pocket, but why get attacked in the first place?
2)The Staff would give you an extra 5-7 feet of personal space. You'll have a much longer reach than with other tools.
3)It can be effective as both a defensive or offensive tool. Try deflecting an attack with your poi. Yer liable to get tangled and then where would you be?
4)It is non-lethal. Remember, in this day & age, the criminals all too often have more rights than the victims. You defend yourself with a sword, you have only one option, drawing blood. The staff is blunt, so you can inflict as little or as much damage as necessary. An edged weapon is like a switch, it's either on (killing people) or it's off. An staff is like a rheostat, you can dial it up or dial it down, depending on the situation. Versatility is key here.

All these tools can do a lotta damage. Remember it takes 8 pounds of pressure per square inch to break human bone, both poi and staff can generate well over 90... Let yer legs do the running

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
ok...if we are talking from the list i wouldsay staff, but i could also use the beamers as an effective chain whip, not a deffensive weapon, more as a dealy one, as i would a chain whip with a blade on the end....download a movie off teh net, you will understand!

however, i dont agree with all whats been said below.....

quote:
Originally posted by Prometheus:

2)The Staff would give you an extra 5-7 feet of personal space. You'll have a much longer reach than with other tools.

4)It is non-lethal. Remember, in this day & age, the criminals all too often have more rights than the victims. You defend yourself with a sword, you have only one option, drawing blood. The staff is blunt, so you can inflict as little or as much damage as necessary. An edged weapon is like a switch, it's either on (killing people) or it's off. An staff is like a rheostat, you can dial it up or dial it down, depending on the situation. Versatility is key here.

ok in tersm of (2) reach is not a matter while being attacked, as you canbe 2" from an attacker and be just as safe as 6' away, it is all about number, i know what i mean but it is more effective to explain in the real world that in text but here goes, a humna can cover short disatnces quikly,and can jusp around 4' with ease, so if you are 6' foot apart this can be covered quickly and one lucky block from the staff by your attacker will expose yourbody and mean that your staff is now hindering your defence!

and (4) if you can correctly handle your bladed weapoin you dont have to draw blood, that is not the only weapon, is mainly happens when misused or mistakes made, you can use the blade in a deffensive way and use diff parts of teh sword eg hilt, and the bridge of the blade to keepyour self safe(if you dont belive me watch blade 2 and you will belive!)you can use the sword in its scabard to defend your self, hence no blade used!

anywasy if we were allowed to chose for other bits of juggling kit i would take benders lion hooks seen here and here and belive me i can weild these like dave canride his unicycle, ok maybe not that good,but hell yeahi can!

anyways

later days

Step (el-nombrie)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Just to be awkward, rope dart...

But failing that a staff. I've been learning it for Kung Fu and we've been working on some lovely ways to get maximum power out of it.

Again, playing safe kiddies - if this did happen you should really (in order of prefernce)
1) Run away before you get attacked
2) Get the attacker on the floor then run away
3) Give the attacker a firm hit to the legs/chest then run away
4) Give the attacker a softer hit to the head then run a little bit away and call an ambulance if they don't get up.

Many, if not all, self-defence skills teach you that the longer you're in a conflict situation the more likely you are to get injured yourself. If you've landed the first blow, get out whilst you have the advantage. If you land the second blow, make sure it counts and then get out.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Flipmodiusmember
103 posts

Posted:
fire chains, why? well there just so damn hypnotic it would give me a free hit and 2 chains are better then one.

some will understand. -buddah

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
I pick a long staff, being a guy of my stature, and loving to wear black at night, i would think carrying a long black staff would have people walking on the other side of the street.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
ill be honest yet naive and say i dont know what beamers are, but i would say a staff. i do rowing so my answer to that question is usually an oar, so a staff woul seem like an appropriate substitute

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
ill be honest yet naive and say i dont know what beamers are, but i would say a staff. i do rowing so my answer to that question is usually an oar, so a staff woul seem like an appropriate substitute

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

GrayforthBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
Well, if I had beamers, I would prolly hit myself, so I would take a staff, not to mention that I always have a knife somewhere.

In this world of tears, you need a sense of humor.

Page: