onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I know that at least one regular poster here is a memeber of the US Marines.

As someone who has little first hand knowledge of military life I was wondering what its like to be a spinner in the marines.

Is spinning regarded there as something cool, or a bit strange?

Is it popular on the bases etc?

What about related activities like juggling etc? (I'm sure I heard of a unicyclist on a base somewhere).

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I hang out with the university juggling club and two of our members are in the marines, both are still on duty though, we don't know when they'll come back and honestly we're rather worried about them.

Noir_deluxemember
58 posts

Posted:
Hey dude, don't worry about your friends, I'm sure they will come back. One of my friends had family in the military and they came home. I'm sure they wil be fine fine fine. No worries.

Noir_DDELUX

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Well, I have two friends in the air force - one is just starting with poi, and the other is an awesome sword spinner and does an itsy bit of poi. Their friends know and are cool with it, but I don't think their military bosses know (or care). From what they've told me, I suspect that no one would mind at all - air force guys I've met seem to be warm and pleasant folks, on the whole. (This kinda surprised me, I'll admit.)

One of them said he saw someone else spinning poi on base at Fort Meade quite randomly, too!

E pluribus unum, baby.

shadow steppinofficial hop irken
401 posts

Posted:
sounds like a good way to entertain yourself while stuck on a base.

semper fi poi troopers!!!

i like your pic in the gallery regyt its hard to make out whats going on in it though is that poi or what?

In my hands I hold your smile and in my heart it runs so wild You are the one you are unique I'm so in love you make me weak And the reason that I feel is like a shadow from a light so if you have the chance to be with me be my shadow in the night

940 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by shadow steppin:
i like your pic in the gallery regyt its hard to make out whats going on in it though is that poi or what?
Yep, just plain ol' poi. (Crappy camera -> spiff photos!)

E pluribus unum, baby.

shadow steppinofficial hop irken
401 posts

Posted:
its very nice looks like your standing in front of a galaxy or sumfin . me likes

In my hands I hold your smile and in my heart it runs so wild You are the one you are unique I'm so in love you make me weak And the reason that I feel is like a shadow from a light so if you have the chance to be with me be my shadow in the night

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
quote:
air force guys I've met seem to be warm and pleasant folks, on the whole. (This kinda surprised me, I'll admit.)

Man most of the airmen I have run into are so full of themselves. You actually ran into some nice ones?!

Well ok back on topic...My bro Kaleb is over in California going through Marine basic as we speak. Before he left he saw some of my fire footage and just thinks I'm a pyro, which I am not! Other than that he thinks it's kool, but don't know what the others would think.

I've been told by alot of friends and family jokingly that I go to college to play with fire

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Actually my O's think that the fire thing is cool... it is my addiction to the internet that scares them

However I have gotten in to a bit of trouble spinning fire on base. Nothing more than being told to stop it, but still...

Some think it is cool others just make fun, it is basically the same as everywhere else.

Semper Gumby Always Flexable, spin where you can when you can and if you have to relocate... do so in an expediant maner! hehehe

If your friends wernt comming back you would have heard about it by now. How long have they been gone for?

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

940 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Mistress Aurora:
Man most of the airmen I have run into are so full of themselves. You actually ran into some nice ones?!
Yup, and one of them is even from Texas!

E pluribus unum, baby.

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Really? Kewl beans! Wonder if anybody where you are at has been stationed in Wichita Falls at Shepard AFB

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The medical field, which is also pretty conservative, looks at me as a complete freak...

Just my 25 cents...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura