Noir_deluxemember
58 posts

Posted:
Hi there folks. While checking the daily news, I came across this article on lovely CNN.com
https://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/09/02/asteroid.reut/index.html
If you don't want to read it, it basically says we could all be dead in 2014 because of a huge hunk of space rock. It may, haha, there is a 1 in 909 000 chance hit us. But with our luck I'm guessing god will be an asshole and do away with us. LOL. Now what do others think about this? What should we do? Make like Arrmageddon? Someone find Bruce Willis! If anyone is wondering why I brought this up, 1. Im bored, 2. I value the peoples opinions in this place. So What should be done?!?! Reactions to this?

Noir_DDELUX

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
as homer j would say
itll probably burn up in the atmosphere
besides thats ages away quit living in the pas .... future and live in the now

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
And in 2000 all technology was going to shut down.
But then because that is not the "technical" new year, it was 2001.
Then we were all going to die in the 3rd World War in 2001/02.

CNN is known for representing one side of things. Watch them and the Middle East is the worst place in the world full of haters. And the .Com is the worst of all, providing lots of newfodder to get people hyped up, then they report on the subsequent hype.

Have fun. If it ends, you have 10 more years to live life as if it were going to end.
If you don't believe in it, live your life that way anyway and then just in case, you won't have any regrets!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
i think firing bruce willis, other various 'actors,' boy bands, and other generally irritating people at the asteroid would be incridibly helpful. it wouldnt do much to set the asteroid off course, but id appreciate the amusement value and the benefit gained by all of society [before we get smashed to smithereens].

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
heheheh lets all get 100k from a loan shark and get us some strippers!!! Molly Mouse anyone?

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yeah but it's only got a Torino scale of 1.
Thats the scale used to rank asteroids equivalent to the Richter scale for earthquakes.

This means it's not an ELE, but is one to watch as could cause fireworks... (Impact extremely unlikely - worth monitoring)

One landed in the Russia Steppes many moons ago and had the strength of a couple of hiroshima bombs, so far less powerful than todays nuclear weapons, and didn't do much other than knock over a lot of trees and upset the caribu...

And if you think about the percentage of the earths surface that is densly populated (less that 20%) and the chance of it hitting being less than 1 in 900,000 The cumulative probability of it hitting the earth AND hitting somewhere populated are so miniscule that it's unlikely to do anything except cook a few fishes and cause some wicked surf for those of you on the coast...

The news always goes on about this sort of thing... and they tend to hype them up too much, the earth is bombarded daily by things much nastier than a little rock...

(me thinks I'm gonna sound real stupid in 10 years time! )

PsyB.

Noir_deluxemember
58 posts

Posted:
Haha, I never said I believe it, but I do agree that shooting lots of useless individuals whom noone likes at the asteroid would be incredibly amusing. I say we start now, and send Justin Timberlake, just to get rid of his crappy goody goody white hiphop!

Noir_DDELUX

Noir_deluxemember
58 posts

Posted:
Ya well I also have to say that CNN.com, (god forbid they be right. Which they never have before to my recollection) the reported the meteorite would have the power of 20 MILLION Hiroshima bombs. Which is alot. I think. So I think if anything does happen, it woon't matter if it doesn't hit a populated area, and it will do a bit more than fry a few fishes. But of course, CNN is proabably wrong. And it's really the the size of a buik. In which case it will knock over a tree, and kill a squirrel.

Noir_DDELUX

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yeah, just re-checked my facts... BBC are saying 350 billion tonnes, about 3500 megatonnes, of TNT or equivalent, which would cause continent wide devistation.

But it has a torino rating of 1 (likely to be downgraded to 0) as they don't think it will hit.

Would still produce some nice surf though!

PsyB.

Noir_deluxemember
58 posts

Posted:
Mmmmmmmmmm.... Surfing.... Haha. Ya thats true. Well off to find the local loan shark, and get me my 100K and my strippers. Toodles to you all! By the way, someone want to lend me 100K, just in case it doesn't hit? I don't wanna survive near total devestation, and then get a bullet to me head. Come on, you guys ae nice. 20 buck from each of you aught to do! LOL

Noir_DDELUX

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
well, i hope i get to master the turning btb weave by then!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always