Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
We were just discussing in a poi moves thread, dreaming of moves you had never before thought of and then being able to do them when you wake up.

Just wondering how many other people have come up with poi or staff moves etc... whilst dreaming.

I personally have found myself falling asleep seeing poi moves and patterns in my head. Occasionally I have dreamt up new moves I had not thought of. Most recently coming up with buzzsaw revolving seperations and stalls, but I have definitly come up with others in my sleep before.

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
When this happens to me, I end up waking up and running outside immediatly until I have it down pat. I daydream them sometimes too, just closing my eyes and relaxing into a meditative state and sometimes the move just materializes in my head.. or the feeling of how to do it at least. It's a lot easier to follow how certain air wraps go together and come apart this way!

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
Why would it be so unusual to dream new moves?

In our dreams we are not restrained by such physical limitations as gravity, or having elbows that don't bend in every direction imaginable.

When we dream, we can envision the move in its 'raw' form, unfettered by such restrictions. Then when we understand the mechanics of a move, it makes it easier to adapt into the physical.

Or so I believe anyway....

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

Flameflingermember
27 posts
Location: A mythical continent of fire and brimstone. (Oh an...

Posted:
yeah i do that - think up crazy unaccomplishable moves.

Thats why its called dreaming!!!

We are all in the gutter. But some of us are trying to set it alight...You can't be a proper country without a beer. Possibly an airline and a rugby team, but at the very least you need a beer.Eat Well, Stay Fit, Die Anyway

pequeno_fuegoBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
hmmm... sometimes i dream about twirling i cant awake myself and i don't remember if i do new moves but ...

... i like watch when my friends twirling i watching watching and suddenly i've got something in my mind ...

... and sometimes it is new move !!!

but significantly often it's just others still revealing for me thoughts

peace and rhythm
// Do what you want, let IT be a measure! //

LuxBRONZE Member
71 posts

Posted:
Sometimes just watching someone twirling i just go very calm and just watch and get caught up in the hand and arm movements and imagine what it feels like and then when i try the move myself if comes a lot more naturally. have yet to actually DREAM a move though it sounds like a fantastic idea

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i have real difficulty remembering anything i dream - can you remember how many dreams you had during the night, when you wake up? daydreaming new movements and combinatins however, happen quite alot, and at times when i should be concentrating - like at a job interview or on the toilet.
It helps to have a concise movement notation system, cus you only have to write it down to prevent forgetfulness robbing you of a mad new movement...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
2 words: lucid dreaming

sadely i only LD about once a week, and when i do poi is usually the last thing on my mind to use my 5 mins of fun for , but it is most fun to spin without any normal laws and i can how if you did it regularly would be good to not just practice but think up whole new move concepts which in waking life would just take too much pain to come up with

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i ainthad a proper dream in years, i have those freaky half awake half asleep morning dreams, and i get thosea few times week!

dose that count, and usually i am ofetn dreaming about something weird not poi...sorry

Step (el-nombrie)

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
i love dreaming up new paterns! the mind is a very suggestive thing, it can also be the best tool for practice, to bad you can control your dreaming all the time and use it for practice if thats what you wanted to use it for! i know about lucid dreaming, but to bad you couldnt dream of practicing as easily as going and picking up your poi.

Power percieved is power achieved.